Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boland's 8/19 Report: Lowery taking snaps with the 1's

Hall Of Fame

Boland's 8/19 Report: Lowery taking snaps with the 1's

August 19, 2008
    Near and Favre
    Before we begin, anyone else notice a half-empty stadium for the Giants/Browns game last night? An embarrassing lack of fan support for the boys in blue, the DEFENDING Super Bowl champs no less. No excuses, Giants fans, for missing out on a preseason game and all of its inherent passion and excitement. Shameful.

And now to today’s practice report [yes, that was a joke, sarcasm, etc. in the above sentence]:

* Brett Favre, though not particularly sharp overall, had a couple of nice throws today; an 18-yarder to Jerricho Cotchery and a 25-yarder, again to Cotchery, on a cross. During his first 11-on-11 Favre threw a 12-yard dart to Bubba Franks, who was immediately upended by Kerry Rhodes. The day ended with Favre running the two-minute offense – he hasn’t done much of that so far – and there were mixed results. The situation was the offense down 24-21 with two minutes left. The drive started with Favre delivering a nice ball to Chansi Stuckey on the left sideline for 18 yards. After Darrelle Revis knocked down a pass for Brad Smith, Favre connected with Stuckey on the right side – beating Revis and Hank Poteat with a strong throw – for 13 yards. On second-and-9 from midfield, Favre again hit Stuckey, this time near the left sideline (he had gotten away from Poteat) for 19 yards. After Favre spiked the ball, he threw behind Smith where Revis intercepted. BUT, a penalty negated the pick and Mike Nugent eventually kicked a 54-yard field goal to tie it at 24.

* Kellen Clemens, in his two-minute opportunity, had an interception by Dwight Lowery wiped out by penalty. Clemens threw several good passes to Chris Baker in moving the offense to the 35 but Nugent was wide right on a 53-yarder that would have tied it. No, for those who have asked, there wasn’t another kicker in today.

* Erik Ainge threw his best ball of camp, a 40-yarder into the seam to Dustin Keller – who else – with the ball dropping between linebacker Cody Spencer and David Barrett (dmb, I always think of you when I write about No. 36).

Unfortunately, Ainge threw just a horrible looking interception to Dwight Lowery on the left sideline, a ball intended for Jason Pociask, A second pick came later in practice as Ainge threw to the right side, intending the pass for Brad Smith I believe, where Drew Coleman cut in to make the interception. I just can’t see how Ainge doesn’t end up on the practice squad.

* Brett Ratliff hit Wallace Wright on a cross in an early 11-on-11 for a 20-yard gain. Marcus Henry, the most obvious beneficiary of David Clowney’s injury [at least today based on reps], caught a 31-yarder down the left sideline from Ratliff. The rookie made a nice adjustment on a poorly thrown ball that did everything but quack.

* Rookie cornerback Dwight Lowery was in at right corner with the 1’s on the defense’s third series. Coach Eric Mangini said to get used to it.

“We worked him with the ones some of this past weekend and he did a pretty good job with that group,” Mangini said. “So he’ll get some more work with the ones and twos to see how he keeps progressing.”

* Both Laveranues Coles and Shaun Ellis were back. Coles, however, did not participate in any 11-on-11s so call him limited for the day. Coles did not speak with the media, which other than losing a good quote, I don’t particularly care about. This is one of those instances were the media makes itself the story when it’s inconsequential in the bigger picture. Now, if Coles was refusing to speak to Favre, then that would be a story. But that’s not the case. I’d like to hear from Coles because he’s intelligent and typically has something interesting to say and I do think he’s carrying on a big much here, but because he’s not talking to us doesn’t mean there some kind of internal dissent going on.

* The Jets signed 6-4, 225-pound receiver Larry Brackins, who spent the previous two seasons with the Philadelphia Soul of the AFL. Brackins, out of Pearl River CC (Miss.), was selected in the fifth round by the Buccaneers in 2005

Hall Of Fame
    Both Laveranues Coles and Shaun Ellis were back. Coles, however, did not participate in any 11-on-11s so call him limited for the day. Coles did not speak with the media, which other than losing a good quote, I don’t particularly care about. This is one of those instances were the media makes itself the story when it’s inconsequential in the bigger picture. Now, if Coles was refusing to speak to Favre, then that would be a story. But that’s not the case. I’d like to hear from Coles because he’s intelligent and typically has something interesting to say and I do think he’s carrying on a big much here, but because he’s not talking to us doesn’t mean there some kind of internal dissent going on.

BTW:

Favre connected with Stuckey on the right side – beating Revis and Hank Poteat with a strong throw – for 13 yards.
    Does this mean Poteat was lining up at safety?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    August 19, 2008
    Near and Favre
    Before we begin, anyone else notice a half-empty stadium for the Giants/Browns game last night? An embarrassing lack of fan support for the boys in blue, the DEFENDING Super Bowl champs no less. No excuses, Giants fans, for missing out on a preseason game and all of its inherent passion and excitement. Shameful.

And now to today’s practice report [yes, that was a joke, sarcasm, etc. in the above sentence]:

* Both Laveranues Coles and Shaun Ellis were back. Coles, however, did not participate in any 11-on-11s so call him limited for the day. Coles did not speak with the media, which other than losing a good quote, I don’t particularly care about. This is one of those instances were the media makes itself the story when it’s inconsequential in the bigger picture. Now, if Coles was refusing to speak to Favre, then that would be a story. But that’s not the case. I’d like to hear from Coles because he’s intelligent and typically has something interesting to say and I do think he’s carrying on a big much here, but because he’s not talking to us doesn’t mean there some kind of internal dissent going on.

and THAT is why Mr. Boland is the best beat writer for the Jets... BY FAR.

All League
    lowery at #2 CB????

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

BTW:

Maybe Stuckey was doubled?

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe Stuckey was doubled?
    Doubled implies safety help. You don't double a WR with two CBs

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

BTW:

probably nickleback..playing zone

All League
    August 19, 2008
    Near and Favre

Boland has become my favorite Jets beat reporter.
    * Kellen Clemens, in his two-minute opportunity, had an interception by Dwight Lowery wiped out by penalty.

Unfortunately, Ainge threw just a horrible looking interception to Dwight Lowery on the left sideline, a ball intended for Jason Pociask, A second pick came later in practice as Ainge threw to the right side, intending the pass for Brad Smith I believe, where Drew Coleman cut in to make the interception. I just can’t see how Ainge doesn’t end up on the practice squad.

* Rookie cornerback Dwight Lowery was in at right corner with the 1’s on the defense’s third series. Coach Eric Mangini said to get used to it.

“We worked him with the ones some of this past weekend and he did a pretty good job with that group,” Mangini said. “So he’ll get some more work with the ones and twos to see how he keeps progressing.”
    Lowery is the real deal.

Banned

Rookie cornerback Dwight Lowery was in at right corner with the 1’s on the defense’s third series.

Coach Eric Mangini said to get used to it.

Sounds like Lowery just catipulted himself into that starting CB spot opposite Revis, now he just has to keep it

This run the Jets are having with 4th RD Picks is really inexplicable .. Rhodes, Cotchery, Leon and Lowery .. its crazy the way they keep scoring to this degree with those 4th RD Picks, but it looks like they did it again

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Sounds like Lowery just catipulted himself into that starting CB spot opposite Revis, now he just has to keep it

This run the Jets are having with 4th RD Picks is really inexplicable .. Rhodes, Cotchery, Leon and Lowery .. its crazy the way they keep scoring to this degree with those 4th RD Picks, but it looks like they did it again
    If only Gholston would progress so quickly....

I understand, though. Gholston is attempting to switch to a position he didn't play a great deal of in college.

Veteran
    Great news about Lowery. I interned with the Philadelphia Soul last year, and Larry Brackins is a beast. The guy is dumb as **** but has fantastic size and hands.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post

Lowery is the real deal.
    Darrelle Revis thinks so too, he said as much on WFAN just this afternoon, unsolicited, without even being asked, just volunteered some lofty praise for Dwight Lowery

Hall Of Fame
    very good news

we really need a guy opposite revis

All Pro
    Too bad for Justin Miller. He is the 6th best corner on the team,

Revis
    Lowery
    Poteat
    Coleman
    Barrett
    Miller

Maybe we should try moving him to safety.

I remember that someone on this board was adamant that we should draft Larry Brackins back in '05. He is a big target with some speed. Maybe this is in response to the Clowney injury.

All Pro
    Yeah, it looks like there is no doubt that Lowery will be starting opposite Revis, it's all just a question of when. I don't think we'll see it by the season opener, but within the first few weeks I'm sure Justin Miller will embarrass himself and #34 will move in to take over...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    and THAT is why Mr. Boland is the best beat writer for the Jets... BY FAR.
    QFT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiJet View Post

If only Gholston would progress so quickly....

I understand, though. Gholston is attempting to switch to a position he didn't play a great deal of in college.
    From what I understand Dwight Lowery has a manical work ethic .. emerses himself in the playbook, film study, technique, etc .. his passion for football is incredibly high and he's treating this like the most important thing in his life

He is working, working, working and working!

In other words his success is not an accident
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 08-20-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    That's awesome. Boland just crapped all over Peter King. Fan-freakin'-tastic!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green View Post
    That's awesome. Boland just crapped all over Peter King. Fan-freakin'-tastic!!

and dumb fat **** was at the giants game as well

funny, I didn't see him call out giants fans

should we bombard his e-mail and point out the hypocrisy ?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ail/index.html