Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Can't We Run?

Veteran

Why Can't We Run?

I don't get it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't know.

I'm a big Thomas Jones fan but he really doesn't look like the same player he was in Chicago. Although I think Leon is best suited as a 3rd down/change of pace back, he really has looked like the better player out of the backfield. Last year and so far this pre-season.

Either way, I think Leon should be getting the ball in his hands a lot more often this year.

Snagging one of the Top RB prospects next year may not be out of the question when all is said and done.

All Pro
    1) Because the Giants D-line is one of the best in the league
    2) Because Thomas Jones is a little bit better than an average back and has been for his entire career. Those projecting him to have a great year because he had a solid year for a bad o-line last year really didn't take a good look at his career numbers.
    3) Our O-line's pass protection has been a lot better than our run blocking so far. Which is okay, because we didn't have either last season.

Hall Of Fame
    have we ran to the left side once this preseason?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    have we ran to the left side once this preseason?
    I haven't noticed either way but honestly...it makes so much more sense to run to a revamped D'brick, Faneca and Mangold vs Mangold, Moore and Woody

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy View Post
    I haven't noticed either way but honestly...it makes so much more sense to run to a revamped D'brick, Faneca and Mangold vs Mangold, Moore and Woody
    Maybe on purpose? because honestly I haven't seen one run to the left all preseason.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd say because every lineman we have has the same scouting report;

better pass protector than run blocker

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    I'd say because every lineman we have has the same scouting report;

better pass protector than run blocker
    I thought Faneca was a big time puller.

All Pro
    I seriously thought that we would be a running team before we got Favre.

Thank god we got a legit QB..

All League
    Well from what I saw, we were EXTREMELY predicatble on play calling (not that we weren't last year). Every 1st down we ran the ball. It couldn't get anymore predictable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    I seriously thought that we would be a running team before we got Favre.

Thank god we got a legit QB..
    Damn straight.

With either Chad/Clemens potentially leading the way, I knew we were going to have to rely on a great ground game to even have the smallest amount of success. So far, the O-line has looked pretty much stellar in pass protection but has been somewhat lackluster at opening up holes in the running game.

Thankfully with Favre now behind center, we can spread the field and make things happen. Even if the run blocking doesn't turn out to be vastly improved after last season, does it really matter as long as the line keeps consistently giving Brett 3 to 4 seconds to stand in the pocket?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I thought Faneca was a big time puller.
    yeah, that sounds right, but we also haven't run anything but simple quick hitters, so they may be waiting to show that

Hall Of Fame
    Thomas Jones is one of the worst starting RB's in the game. He's completely mediocre in all aspects of the game. His best asset is his pass blocking. He's got no burst, no acceleration, doesn't hit the hole hard, doesn't fall forward, can't get around the corner, isn't much of a receiver, year that about covers it. On a hole where Leon squeezes and gets 4 yards Jones is stuffed for a no gain.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Thomas Jones is one of the worst starting RB's in the game. He's completely mediocre in all aspects of the game. His best asset is his pass blocking. He's got no burst, no acceleration, doesn't hit the hole hard, doesn't fall forward, can't get around the corner, isn't much of a receiver, year that about covers it. On a hole where Leon squeezes and gets 4 yards Jones is stuffed for a no gain.
    Blah.

TJ will have over 1,000 yards and over 4.0 ypc average this year. Barring he plays in 12 games. Want to make a charity bet on it?

All League
    Agreed.

when you say doesn't fall forward, it reminds me the opposite of curtis martin. curtis would run into a tackler and just before going down he would spin and roll down forward for an extra 2 yards. it probably added a .5 yard to his average. if jones did that he wouldnt look as bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Agreed.
    Take my bet? $50 to charity?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Blah.

TJ will have over 1,000 yards and over 4.0 ypc average this year. Barring he plays in 12 games. Want to make a charity bet on it?
    I agree on 1,000 yards, but I don't like making bets against the Jets or their players. 4.0 YPC is really average, but I'd sign for that from TJ right now.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree on 1,000 yards, but I don't like making bets against the Jets or their players. 4.0 YPC is really average, but I'd sign for that from TJ right now.
    Is that a yes, or no? Do you take my bet? A 1,000 yard season from TJ with at least a 4.0 yard per carry?

If he is as much as a bum as you're trying to make him out to be you should hop all over this.

$50 to charity. Yes or no?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Is that a yes, or no? Do you take my bet? A 1,000 yard season from TJ with at least a 4.0 yard per carry?

If he is as much as a bum as you're trying to make him out to be you should hop all over this.

$50 to charity. Yes or no?
    No bet. Bad karma to bet against your team. I don't particularly like Jones, but I really hope you are right about the 4.0 YPC.