Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: OT: 9 year old banned from pitching for being too good

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,952

    OT: 9 year old banned from pitching for being too good

    From ESPN, this story IMO is PATHETIC:


    NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

    The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.


    Officials with the Youth Baseball League of New Haven say they will disband Jericho Scott's team because his coach won't stop him from pitching.

    Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

    But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

    "He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

    The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

    "I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

    Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

    Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

    "I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

    League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

    "He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

    Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

    "Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

    League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

    League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

    "I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

    Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

    League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

    Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

    "You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"


    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,666
    This entire article is a joke. "This is not a high powered league." LOL

    No **** sherlock, they're freaking 9 year olds

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,706
    so how long does it take before the yankees sign him

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Damn, what a terrible message to send to all the kids.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Great lesson to teach the kids, the other guy is too good so don't even try to compete with him, just put your tail between your legs and curl up in the fetal position

    This is how you raise a generation of fairies
    I know for a fact that if I ever had a kid in this situation he would not leave the field when the rest of the team is leaving, no chance in hell

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Great lesson to teach the kids, the other guy is too good so don't even try to compete with him, just put your tail between your legs and curl up in the fetal position

    This is how you raise a generation of fairies
    It's coming. I kid you not the end is coming! No joke with this type ****, first thing that pops into my mind.

    It's so bad I get more sad than angry.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Great lesson to teach the kids, the other guy is too good so don't even try to compete with him, just put your tail between your legs and curl up in the fetal position

    This is how you raise a generation of fairies
    Seems to me they peeled this page right out of the bestselling Chad Pennington "How to win 9 games a season" book

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,456
    I wonder how hard Chad threw at age nine? hmmm

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,476
    My town believes "every kid is a winner".

    We recently lost a tournament and there was a letter to the editor of the local paper decrying the fact that the winning team walked our best hitter, thereby depriving the hitter of his "experience" and implying poor sportsmanship on the other teams part.

    My thoughts (and I have a kid in this league), maybe the other kids need to learn the life lesson of "stepping up" in the clutch. But I am in the minority.

  10. #10
    Sounds like a bunch of sore loser parents, teaching their kids to be sore losers too. Let the kid pitch. If not...hope the Yankees....

    SIGN THE BEAST!!!

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    My town believes "every kid is a winner".

    We recently lost a tournament and there was a letter to the editor of the local paper decrying the fact that the winning team walked our best hitter, thereby depriving the hitter of his "experience" and implying poor sportsmanship on the other teams part.

    My thoughts (and I have a kid in this league), maybe the other kids need to learn the life lesson of "stepping up" in the clutch. But I am in the minority.
    Yeah, but then sometimes there are also situations where this is wrong.

    For example, when I did little League in 8th grade, there was always one kid on each team who really could not hit or field at all, but it was the job of the coaches to make sure they got to play (also, everyone hit each time through the lineup). And there was one game, I remember it vividly, where it was two outs, and I was on third and the other team intentionally walked two batters on my team just to get to this kid. I thought it was despicable.

    (Also, I was dancing around on third, trying to distract the pitcher and the other teams coach asked me if I could stop because I was being disrespectful. I literally laughed at him)

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post
    Yeah, but then sometimes there are also situations where this is wrong.

    For example, when I did little League in 8th grade, there was always one kid on each team who really could not hit or field at all, but it was the job of the coaches to make sure they got to play (also, everyone hit each time through the lineup). And there was one game, I remember it vividly, where it was two outs, and I was on third and the other team intentionally walked two batters on my team just to get to this kid. I thought it was despicable.

    (Also, I was dancing around on third, trying to distract the pitcher and the other teams coach asked me if I could stop because I was being disrespectful. I literally laughed at him)
    Hammer, 8th grade is when either the parent or the kids should know whether the gig is up. Competition is competition and if you cant hit or field in 8th grade, you should not be competing, if all aspects of the competition are not fun for you.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,666
    The ultimate example of rich, spoiled boy who grew up being shielded from reality =


    BARRY BONDS

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,921
    of course FROM the great state of Connecticut.....we breed fireballer 9 year olds

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas Via Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    3,096
    Why do we continue to destroy sports in this country. I remember when I was a kid you were allowed to run over the catcher now you get thrown out of the game for it. I remember we used to taunt the opposing team and get on the pitcher now you get thrown out for it. WTF is going on. If were going to baby our kids what the hell is the use of even having them play sports ? The winning isnt everything crap ruined it for kids and to be honest I was a pretty damn competitive kid I always wanted to win and I would do anything it took. Thats what builds character not being a forced loser.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    From ESPN, this story IMO is PATHETIC:


    NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

    The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.


    Officials with the Youth Baseball League of New Haven say they will disband Jericho Scott's team because his coach won't stop him from pitching.

    Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

    But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

    "He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

    The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

    "I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

    Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

    Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

    "I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

    League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

    "He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

    Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

    "Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

    League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

    League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

    "I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

    Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

    League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

    Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

    "You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"


    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    40 Miles per hour is not fast for 9 years olds . We had two kids throwing sixty at nine year old.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    Why do we continue to destroy sports in this country. I remember when I was a kid you were allowed to run over the catcher now you get thrown out of the game for it. I remember we used to taunt the opposing team and get on the pitcher now you get thrown out for it. WTF is going on. If were going to baby our kids what the hell is the use of even having them play sports ? The winning isnt everything crap ruined it for kids and to be honest I was a pretty damn competitive kid I always wanted to win and I would do anything it took. Thats what builds character not being a forced loser.
    It goes against the capitalist spirit of this country wouldn't you say? But then again, that has been diminishing too.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    If the kid is all that he should be pitching against older kids and better competition in my mind. Also, just because he hasn't beaned a kid yet doesn't mean he won't. Think of yourselves as the parents of the other kids who have to face a guy that throws way harder than anyone else. If the whine kid is that good step up a notch and take on someone who is more comparable ability wise.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hammer, 8th grade is when either the parent or the kids should know whether the gig is up. Competition is competition and if you cant hit or field in 8th grade, you should not be competing, if all aspects of the competition are not fun for you.
    I would agree if this was a travel league, but it was not, this was just little league...and BTW it was 7th grade, I remember because 8th grade my team got eliminated because I slid too late into home, and there was a must slide rule...STUPID UMP! (sorry, I'm still angry over that call )

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,008
    Does this really surprise anyone? With the crap we costantly hear these days about how they don't keep score and there are no winners and losers, does it shock you that something like this would happen? Forget even being "sissies", these kids are growing up in such a sheltered life that when they hit the real world they'll have no idea how to handle it. It'll be more shock and confusion than anything. Granted there are some things you need to protect kids from, but they also need to be able to learn and grow up, and sometimes that's not always all fun. Our society has become one that discourages that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us