Thread: Dolphins deal McCown to Carolina

Practice Squad

Dolphins deal McCown to Carolina

I still can not believe we just let Chad walk with zero compensation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...wn-to-Carolina

The quarterback carousel in Miami may finally stop spinning.
    As first reported by FOXSports.com, the Dolphins have traded Josh McCown to Carolina. Terms of the deal weren't immediately available.

The move leaves Miami with three quarterbacks on the roster two of whom (Chad Pennington and Chad Henne) have joined the team within the past four months. The third is John Beck, a 2007 second-round pick who also was on the trading block.

It's unknown whether a leg injury suffered by Panthers backup quarterback Matt Moore during Thursday night's preseason finale against Pittsburgh spurred Carolina into action. A team spokesman told the Associated Press on Friday that X-rays were negative and that Moore's playing status was "day-to-day."

The Dolphins thought so much of McCown during the offseason that he was signed to a two-year, $6.25 million contract that included $2.5 million in signing bonus. McCown was leaving Oakland, where the seven-year veteran had notched nine of his 31 career starts.

The Dolphins added Henne to the quarterback mix when they selected him in the second round of April's draft. Henne was making a strong push to beat out McCown and Beck for the starting spot early in the preseason when the Dolphins signed Pennington, who was released by the New York Jets following the acquisition of Brett Favre from Green Bay.

The Dolphins then began shopping Beck and McCown to other teams with quarterback needs.

Carolina was one of the teams with interest in McCown during the offseason. Jake Delhomme is coming off elbow surgery while Moore is only a second-year player, albeit one who played in nine games and started three in 2007 because of injuries at the position. The Panthers also have lost the services of 2007 reserves David Carr (released) and Vinny Testaverde (retired).

The Panthers will be picking up McCown's $1.95 million base salary for 2007.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by I BLEED GREEN View Post
    I still can not believe we just let Chad walk with zero compensation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...wn-to-Carolina

The quarterback carousel in Miami may finally stop spinning.
    As first reported by FOXSports.com, the Dolphins have traded Josh McCown to Carolina. Terms of the deal weren't immediately available.

The move leaves Miami with three quarterbacks on the roster two of whom (Chad Pennington and Chad Henne) have joined the team within the past four months. The third is John Beck, a 2007 second-round pick who also was on the trading block.

It's unknown whether a leg injury suffered by Panthers backup quarterback Matt Moore during Thursday night's preseason finale against Pittsburgh spurred Carolina into action. A team spokesman told the Associated Press on Friday that X-rays were negative and that Moore's playing status was "day-to-day."

The Dolphins thought so much of McCown during the offseason that he was signed to a two-year, $6.25 million contract that included $2.5 million in signing bonus. McCown was leaving Oakland, where the seven-year veteran had notched nine of his 31 career starts.

The Dolphins added Henne to the quarterback mix when they selected him in the second round of April's draft. Henne was making a strong push to beat out McCown and Beck for the starting spot early in the preseason when the Dolphins signed Pennington, who was released by the New York Jets following the acquisition of Brett Favre from Green Bay.

The Dolphins then began shopping Beck and McCown to other teams with quarterback needs.

Carolina was one of the teams with interest in McCown during the offseason. Jake Delhomme is coming off elbow surgery while Moore is only a second-year player, albeit one who played in nine games and started three in 2007 because of injuries at the position. The Panthers also have lost the services of 2007 reserves David Carr (released) and Vinny Testaverde (retired).

The Panthers will be picking up McCown's $1.95 million base salary for 2007.
    For only the 100th time, the Jets had to release Pennington to get under the cap, they had no choice. Why don't some of you understand this?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    For only the 100th time, the Jets had to release Pennington to get under the cap, they had no choice. Why don't some of you understand this?
    It is not a matter of not understanding, but you would think that a player that can walk on to a team and take the starting job should bring his original team something in return, no?
    I am thrilled that by HAVING to clear his cap money, we have who we have this season ( and hopefully next?)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    +1

The Jets would have loved to have a seasoned veteran as a back-up to Favre.
    If Chad made 1 million a year, he certainly would have been the number 2.

Veteran
    Chad Pennington needed to be traded or released ASAP in order to make room for Favre. Since every other team in the NFL knew this, he therefore had no trade value and needed to be released, make sense?

Hall Of Fame
    It is not a matter of not understanding, but you would think that a player that can walk on to a team and take the starting job should bring his original team something in return, no?
    I am thrilled that by HAVING to clear his cap money, we have who we have this season ( and hopefully next?)
    Half of this board would have paid the Jets half of their paycheck if they got rid of Pennington.

They not only did that, they got Brett Favre...

And STILL, the complaining continues about a lack of compensation...

Again, they didn't have a choice, Favre practically fell in their laps, you make the move. I'm pretty sure they understand what they were doing.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Carolina needs insurance for Matt Moore. The primary backup to Jake Delhomme is hurt and may be questionable for week 1. McCown has starting experience and is just veteran insurance for Carolina.

Smart move by Parcells. It wouldn't shock me if he deals John Beck before the season starts too. Beck could be a possibility for a team like Baltimore who may lose Kyle Boller. Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron worked with Beck last year in Miami.

The Jets are scared of Miami. They don't want to release anyone who can end up being signed by Miami to help them in week one. Tannenbaum mentioned this last night during the Eagles game.

All League
    The problem I have is that the Favre move, (granted, he IS Brett Favre) goes to show you that the Jets were NOT satisfied with Pennington or Clemens...so why didn't they deal one or the other EARLIER to get something, most likely for Pennington?

I mean, the Jets-Pennington relationship was going to end after this season AT THE LATEST anyway, and if they were looking to upgrade the QB spot, why sit on Pennington and get in the position they are now, a former player with a division rival with nothing for him in return (Aside from the addition of Favre and the addition by subtraction of a no armed has been who would divide the teams loyalty)?

I would have preferred the Jets to have moved Pennington to, say, KC back in april for a 4th...but who knew Brett would be there..

Its all hindsight, but I hate seeing Pennington in that faggety teal...

All League
    The Dolphins thought so much of McCown during the offseason that he was signed to a two-year, $6.25 million contract that included $2.5 million in signing bonus.
    There's a big difference between a team like Carolina taking on McCown on a 2 yr $3.75 mill deal ($6.25 mill - $2.5 mill SB paid by MIA) and taking on Chad at 2 yrs/$12 million.

Trading Chad, especially AFTER trading for Favre, was probably not possible.

The over/under for the compensation the Jets could have gotten for CP at the time he was released was a twelve pack of old milwaukie. Should have taken the under.

Hall Of Fame
    Question:

Answer:

Quote Originally Posted by RickLyle IZ GOD View Post
    Chad Pennington needed to be traded or released ASAP in order to make room for Favre. Since every other team in the NFL knew this, he therefore had no trade value and needed to be released, make sense?

Mods, please lock and dump this thread since there is nothing further to discuss.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Question:

Answer:

Mods, please lock and dump this thread since there is nothing further to discuss.
    +1