Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Any lawyers out there?

Veteran

OT: Any lawyers out there?

I just have a few questions about the career. I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

1) What are good undergraduate majors to prepare for law school (and the LSAT)?
    2) Are the top echelon of law schools (i.e. top 40) worth the $40,000+ a year tuition rates?
    3) What are the job prospects if you graduate from a lesser law school such as SUNY Buffalo?
    4) How's the pay (generally speaking)?

Thanks in advance, guys (and girls).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Damn I was hoping this was a thread about someone in legal trouble lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Me Too. Man I'm dirt.

All League
    It could be lol.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    me too.

goddamn boring monday night.

Practice Squad
    rofl, same. how sad

We need the weekly 'I kinda broke this guys jaw and...'

Quote Originally Posted by zatchery View Post
    I just have a few questions about the career. I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

2) Are the top echelon of law schools (i.e. top 40) worth the $40,000+ a year tuition rates?
    3) What are the job prospects if you graduate from a lesser law school such as SUNY Buffalo?

I feel as though I am qualified to answer this since I go to a top 20 law school and just worked as a summer associate at a very large firm.

1) Generally speaking, you can major in anything and go to law school. If you look at statistics, math and science majors do best on the LSAT and liberal arts majors the worst. I, however, was a liberal arts major and did well (a lot better than most of my peers). If you plan on going to law school, I would suggest that you major in what YOU want.

2) No. Most law students have a ton of debt these days. The top fourteen law schools (Yale to Georgetown) are considered to be the cream of the cop. There are a handful after that -- Vanderbilt, GW, UCLA, USC, Emory, Fordham, etc. -- that also place well if you have a decent class rank. The latter will also place well in secondary markets (i.e. New Jersey) if you have connections to that market.

3) If you want to work for a big firm? Awful.

4) Too general of a question. What do you want to do? First year associates at smaller firms are going to be making $50,000 - $60,000. Larger firms in NYC pay $160,000. There's a huge discrepancy there.

5) If you want to make money, go to med school.

Veteran
    Sorry to disappoint, fellas.

JetsInsider.com Legend

C'mon the night is young, pound down some drinks and go for a ride and look for some fun.

JetsInsider.com Legend

LOL

Hall Of Fame

1. Business. You could try poli sci or economics, but a business undergrad degree is preferable. I was business undergrad, and got my MBA at the same time as my law degree, helped me work in the financial sector, which is the way to go IMHO. I hate litigation.

2. They all cost about the same, you gotta pay the piper. Are seats on the 50 worth a $20K PSL?

3. Not bad. If you don't mind working in Buffalo.

4. Reall crappy if you don't go to an upper-echelon school and you work in Buffalo. Really good if you work in NYC (starting salary is about $170K), but you will have no life.

My advice, look for balance, work smart, not hard. Like me.

I once hit a Syracuse cop in the jaw and knocked him out...broke my wrist but didn't get expelled...true story...gotta tell it someday to you guys...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I feel as though I am qualified to answer this since I go to a top 20 law school and just worked as a summer associate at a very large firm.

1) Generally speaking, you can major in anything and go to law school. If you look at statistics, math and science majors do best on the LSAT and liberal arts majors the worst. I, however, was a liberal arts major and did well (a lot better than most of my peers). If you plan on going to law school, I would suggest that you major in what YOU want.

2) No. Most law students have a ton of debt these days. The top fourteen law schools (Yale to Georgetown) are considered to be the cream of the cop. There are a handful after that -- Vanderbilt, GW, UCLA, USC, Emory, Fordham, etc. -- that also place well if you have a decent class rank. The latter will also place well in secondary markets (i.e. New Jersey) if you have connections to that market.

4) Too general of a question. What do you want to do? First year associates at smaller firms are going to be making $50,000 - $60,000. Larger firms in NYC pay $160,000. There's a huge discrepancy there.

Thanks for the help, man. I'm going to shoot some things back at you, if you don't mind.

1) I heard majors like philosophy and political science (both of which I'm interested in) are pretty helpful in attaining a solid LSAT score. Is there any truth to this? Also, do you think completing a bachelor's degree in 3 years would be hard to do?

2) Fordham is a school that interests me (but it's just so damn expensive), and if I do well enough as an undergrad, I'll apply there. How's the financial aid (again, generally speaking) with these major law schools?

3) I didn't know it was that bad. My uncle is pretty well-connected in the field, and I may be able get a job with him upon graduation. Would real job experience help make up for a degree from a lesser institution?

4) Okay, thanks for giving me a good picture of the salaries.

5) And no, I have no interest whatsoever in medicine. I do find law pretty appealing, but I just want to make sure that I'll be able maintain a comfortable standard of living with it as a profession.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

I once hit a Syracuse cop in the jaw and knocked him out...broke my wrist but didn't get expelled...true story...gotta tell it someday to you guys...

Well, since this thread is devoid of legal trouble so far, ante up...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post

I would just add that a second tier school can be a good starting point, as long as you are at the top of your class. I don't know anythng about the school you mentioned but if it is not a highly regarded school and you aren't at the top of your class it can be awfully hard to get a job. There are an awful lot of young lawyers out there.

Money is all over the map. I have friends that make almost no money but enjoy their jobs. I have other friends that make big bucks but are miserable.

The one bit of advice that I can give you is that you are likely to have a much better style of life in a smaller city. I practiced in big firms in New York and was pretty miserable, even though I was making a lot of money. I now practice in a smaller city and am much happier. And your money will go a lot further.

Best of luck in making your decision.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    1. Business. You could try poli sci or economics, but a business undergrad degree is preferable. I was business undergrad, and got my MBA at the same time as my law degree, helped me work in the financial sector, which is the way to go IMHO. I hate litigation.

2. They all cost about the same, you gotta pay the piper. Are seats on the 50 worth a $20K PSL?

3. Not bad. If you don't mind working in Buffalo.

4. Reall crappy if you don't go to an upper-echelon school and you work in Buffalo. Really good if you work in NYC (starting salary is about $170K), but you will have no life.

My advice, look for balance, work smart, not hard. Like me.

Ready when you are...

All Pro
    Thanks for the help, man. I'm going to shoot some things back at you, if you don't mind.

1) I heard majors like philosophy and political science (both of which I'm interested in) are pretty helpful in attaining a solid LSAT score. Is there any truth to this? Also, do you think completing a bachelor's degree in 3 years would be hard to do?

2) Fordham is a school that interests me (but it's just so damn expensive), and if I do well enough as an undergrad, I'll apply there. How's the financial aid (again, generally speaking) with these major law schools?

3) I didn't know it was that bad. My uncle is pretty well-connected in the field, and I may be able get a job with him upon graduation. Would real job experience help make up for a degree from a lesser institution?

4) Okay, thanks for giving me a good picture of the salaries.

5) And no, I have no interest whatsoever in medicine. I do find law pretty appealing, but I just want to make sure that I'll be able maintain a comfortable standard of living with it as a profession.
    Fordham is a good school, particularly if you want to stay in New York.

I don't think that poli sci or philosphy major will help much with your LSATs but I could be wrong. In my experience any liberal arts major is just as good as any other in getting into law school. I was a religious studies major. Just make sure you take a good LSAT preparation course.
    And if you can get some sort of internship you should do it because you might realize it isn't really wht you want to do.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    I would just add that a second tier school can be a good starting point, as long as you are at the top of your class. I don't know anythng about the school you mentioned but if it is not a highly regarded school and you aren't at the top of your class it can be awfully hard to get a job. There are an awful lot of young lawyers out there.

Money is all over the map. I have friends that make almost no money but enjoy their jobs. I have other friends that make big bucks but are miserable.

The one bit of advice that I can give you is that you are likely to have a much better style of life in a smaller city. I practiced in big firms in New York and was pretty miserable, even though I was making a lot of money. I now practice in a smaller city and am much happier. And your money will go a lot further.

This is a huge part that young guys like me don't always realize. There's a good list on Forbes.com that rates cities to work in by how far your dollar will stretch. While I want to be in investment banking and NYC is obviously the most relevant location, $300-500k a year doesn't look as good as say, $200-400k at a boutique bank/merchant bank in Phoenix.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would like to add, however, that law school admissions have gotten very competitive and it is VERY difficult to get to the top of your class, even at a second tier school like Cardozo, Brooklyn, Seton Hall, Rutgers and St. John's. All of your classmates will be intellegent and most expect to be at the top of the class, but just by sheer odds, SOMEONE has to be in the bottom half of the class.

If you work in New York for one of the major firms, you will be miserable. The pay and bonuses are great, but the quality of life is awful. I was in my office one day until 5 a.m. during my FIRST week of work.

Regardless, if you want a big firm/lots of money, do everything you can to get into a top tier school.

Veteran
    Fordham is a good school, particularly if you want to stay in New York.

I don't think that poli sci or philosphy major will help much with your LSATs but I could be wrong. In my experience any liberal arts major is just as good as any other in getting into law school. I was a religious studies major. Just make sure you take a good LSAT preparation course.
    And if you can get some sort of internship you should do it because you might realize it isn't really wht you want to do.
    Yeah, I love the idea of Fordham, but again, the tuition rates are ridiculous. At the same time however, I guess this is true for most law schools. This is why I brought up SUNY Buffalo, though. From all accounts, it's a decent law school. The 20k tuition rate is a heck of a lot more appealing than the 40k rates. I figure that If I bust my tail in school (I plan to work in NYC), I'll be able to find a decent starting job somewhere.

Maybe I'll major in accounting or something business related as an undergrad. I do like philosophy/political science, however.

Thanks for the help.

All Pro
    Yeah, I love the idea of Fordham, but again, the tuition rates are ridiculous. At the same time however, I guess this is true for most law schools. This is why I brought up SUNY Buffalo, though. From all accounts, it's a decent law school. The 20k tuition rate is a heck of a lot more appealing than the 40k rates. I figure that If I bust my tail in school (I plan to work in NYC), I'll be able to find a decent starting job somewhere.

Maybe I'll major in accounting or something business related as an undergrad. I do like philosophy/political science, however.

Thanks for the help.
    Consider finance as well. If it's not too hard to double major at your undergrad, double or triple with something out of econ/finance/acc