Thread: A Point to Highlight Why Brett Wanted Out!

Practice Squad

A Point to Highlight Why Brett Wanted Out!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Here is just another example of the lack of dedication to developing a winning team Packer GM Ted Thompson has shown for the past 6+ years. This is why Brett woke up one morning and said... I can't go back to a team that doesn't want to win.

This is from the Wisconsin State Journal. I was catching up on the Packer moves and the highlighted line made me disgusted once again.

"While the team kept only nine defensive linemen, it kept seven linebackers: Starters Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga; top backup Brandon Chillar, the team's only offseason free-agent signing; Abdul Hodge and Desmond Bishop, who both had outstanding training camps; and special teams standout Tracy White."

They almost made the Superbowl. Then they didn't keep the 2nd place MVP winner and they didn't try to make their team any better. The three amigos of Thompson, Murphy, and McCarthy better win.

[sarcasm]We all know that Brandon Chillar will push my team over the top. It was so smart to sign a free agent in our strongest position so he can be a backup.[/sarcasm]

(Enjoy your offseason Jets fans!)
    Last edited by Sannop; 09-03-2008 at 12:50 AM.

All League
    I disagree 100%.

The Packers have the youngest or second youngest team in the NFL and they've done it all though the draft. You can't argue Thompson has great drafts. Everyone knew the Thompson regime is built through the draft and not through free agency, i'm sure he made that clear when he took the job. He has done so much better than Sherman did.

When did Brett say "I can't go back to a team that doesn't want to win." Because I know it wasn't this off-season.

Thompson has been there since 2005 by the way...

Practice Squad
    Correct on the 2005 thing... In my anger I forgot to add the Mike Sherman years which were filled with the same mediocre attempts.

I don't see what you disagree with. He hasn't made ANY attempts to get the leadership to push it to the next step now. His lack of signing free agents while with the Pack is fact.

Yes he might be building for the future, but the future was and could have been now. If he just would take some more action. I see that he wants Brett out of the way to build for the future, but we could have had both.

Wolf did a great mixture of the two. The 96 Pack had 4 strong defensive free agents and 2 offensive (not counting Brett) to help fill the mix with the draft picks.

Currently, the Packers d-line is very shallow. Last years 1st round pick Harrell is a bust due to his injuries and KGB, Jenkins, etc are all getting older. He could have gotten a solid back up at d-line and I would have understood. Our CBs are old, he did draft a 2nd rounder but Lee hasn't shown to be ready to step into the shoes of Harris or Woodson if they go down.

The list goes on... but Packer fans are facing the reality that we had one of the greatest players of all time and we didn't take advantage of it. That hurts.

Practice Squad
    When Ted took the job the Pack had won 3 strait NFC north titles...

here were his first moves...

"Some of Thompson's first decisions included declining to resign starting guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera and releasing starting safety Darren Sharper, three key components of the team's three-time NFC North division championship team. Thompson's first draft netted a quarterback in first round pick Aaron Rodgers"

Doesn't sound like someone that even thought about winning now.

All Pro
    To be fair, it's never a bad idea for a team to draft a promising young QB. Trust us, it's not. In fact, it looks like Rodgers may turn out to be pretty good. Had they not drafted him then, you might be looking at Matt Leinart and no AJ Hawk.

And to your point about them not picking up any FAs this year - were there any we actually missed getting?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sannop View Post
    Then they didn't keep the 2nd place MVP winner
    (Enjoy your offseason Jets fans!)
    Thanks, who did they let go and can they play in the 3-4?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I disagree 100%.

The Packers have the youngest or second youngest team in the NFL and they've done it all though the draft. You can't argue Thompson has great drafts. Everyone knew the Thompson regime is built through the draft and not through free agency, i'm sure he made that clear when he took the job. He has done so much better than Sherman did.

When did Brett say "I can't go back to a team that doesn't want to win." Because I know it wasn't this off-season.

Thompson has been there since 2005 by the way...
    Let the Packer/Favrefan vent, will ya?

It's okay, Sannop, you have a place here to stay where you can vent irrationally (and inaccurately ) all you want as to why Favre is here and not there (or in your case, there and not here).

All League
    Correct on the 2005 thing... In my anger I forgot to add the Mike Sherman years which were filled with the same mediocre attempts.

I don't see what you disagree with. He hasn't made ANY attempts to get the leadership to push it to the next step now. His lack of signing free agents while with the Pack is fact.

Yes he might be building for the future, but the future was and could have been now. If he just would take some more action. I see that he wants Brett out of the way to build for the future, but we could have had both.

Wolf did a great mixture of the two. The 96 Pack had 4 strong defensive free agents and 2 offensive (not counting Brett) to help fill the mix with the draft picks.

Currently, the Packers d-line is very shallow. Last years 1st round pick Harrell is a bust due to his injuries and KGB, Jenkins, etc are all getting older. He could have gotten a solid back up at d-line and I would have understood. Our CBs are old, he did draft a 2nd rounder but Lee hasn't shown to be ready to step into the shoes of Harris or Woodson if they go down.

The list goes on... but Packer fans are facing the reality that we had one of the greatest players of all time and we didn't take advantage of it. That hurts.
    I look forward to your quality posts, Sannop. Keep 'em coming.

Here's my question: Since Green Bay is not a conventionally owned team, I gather there is not as much money available for free agents as there is in many larger market treams. If I am correct, then naturally, you would be forced to build through the draft with less money available for free agents. If that is that true, are the complaints about not spending much in free agency justified?

Practice Squad
    Thanks for the love guys

It wasn't just drafting Rogers... it was also letting go of two o-lineman and a pro-bowl defender.

I don't know why you guys would disagree... the fact that he is a Jet doesn't change. When they let go of Rivera and drafted Rogers his tone changed. When they didn't go after Moss he was upset. He was even more upset the second year they didn't go after him and he "retired" two days after Moss was signed.

He said enough is enough, I don't want to be a part of building for the future. He retired and then thought that he wasn't going to live his live in regret due to Thompson and Murphy's decisions. You guys are reaping the benefits.... enjoy.

Also, the Packers are in the top three in merchandising sales and sell out every game (including preseason) they do not have money issues.

I hope that I am wrong and Ted Thompson builds a dynasty. If that is the case, I will admit my error.

All League
    Thanks for the love guys

It wasn't just drafting Rogers... it was also letting go of two o-lineman and a pro-bowl defender.

I don't know why you guys would disagree... the fact that he is a Jet doesn't change. When they let go of Rivera and drafted Rogers his tone changed. When they didn't go after Moss he was upset. He was even more upset the second year they didn't go after him and he "retired" two days after Moss was signed.

He said enough is enough, I don't want to be a part of building for the future. He retired and then thought that he wasn't going to live his live in regret due to Thompson and Murphy's decisions. You guys are reaping the benefits.... enjoy.

Also, the Packers are in the top three in merchandising sales and sell out every game (including preseason) they do not have money issues.

I hope that I am wrong and Ted Thompson builds a dynasty. If that is the case, I will admit my error.
    No franchise can succeed when the HOF qb can't commit to coming back, year after year. Jet fans already have that concern, justifiably so. Rogers was drafted when Farve was, what, 34? Would any sane GM not draft a qb at that point in their starters career?

GM's have to decide when to let go of vets. Were those moves with Sharper & Rivera a mistake? Maybe with Sharper, though the Pack seems to be good on that side of the ball. Hasn't Rivera been hurt most of the time since he was released?

As to going out into the FA market, the Colts are one example of a team that avoids the market, yet flourishes thru the draft. The Pats normally aren't major players either. Last year was a brilliant exception to the rule.

BTW, ticket revenue is split with the visiting team, and merchandise sales are split evenly among all 32 teams. No monrey there for free agents. That comes from luxury suites, naming rights, and local television & radio revenue.

I'll assume the tv & radio revenue is decent, but not what the teams in major markets get, and I'd be surprised if the prices for the suites are anywhere near what the big market teams get. I don't think Curly Lambeau is paying much for the naming rights, is he?

Practice Squad
    I am looking up the data... I just know that the Pack are not in money need. Their market includes Milwaukee, Madison and other large communities. The Packers are one of the largest nationally marketed teams and this does count for a major portion of their income.

2003 they were ranked 10th in the NFL

2005 13th

Last year they were ranked 11th.

Money is not the issue. The list of teams that are less financially solvent would suprise you.

I am not talking about buying a team as the skins have attempted. That doesn't work. I am talking about 1-2 free agents that might not even be major impact players. Simply getting solid support would be a nice thing.

Pace is an example of that type of player for you guys.

The colts are not the norm but I agree that they are a great team to bring up. But I wonder, if they had went and gotten 1-2 impact free agents maybe they would not ahve been the Pats little *****es for so long. Also, the packers have let many go far too early so the managments approach is not that similar.

This has been a 5 year issue for me. I have sat every off-season and waited for the one signing to take us over the top. I have waited to have the off season that you guys are having.

I will NEVER forget where I was when Reggie was signed. I turned to my wife and said "we are going to the superbowl". I was right. I have never felt that way by off season moves since.

EDIT: Most of all... thanks to you guys for letting me rant on here. This Favre issue has been tough on me and this board has me looking forward to the season.
    Last edited by Sannop; 09-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.

All Pro
    i will never understand why the pack didnt get moss

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
    ... thanks for your perspective on your team as well as ours Sannop - we are and will be better off and more knowledgable throughout the year with your input ...

... i agree it is tough to see the front office make decisions that are possibly in the best long term interest for the team, but certainly are counter-productive to immediate results (we had a nightmare at LG with the release of pete kendall before last season & our record reflected it) ...

... while bb has shown the effectiveness of letting players go in this salary cap era football while still at the top of their game, but getting up in age - it is different at the qb position ...

... brady will be their qb long past the "ideal" time to groom his replacement ...

... peyton manning will be the colts qb long past the "ideal" time to groom his replacement ...

... brett favre should have been the packers qb this year ...

... instead the FO made the decision to go with rodgers as this is the "ideal" time to play favre's successor ... they made the wrong choice on this ...

l_j_r

All League
    Brett Crawled to freedom through Five-hundred Yards of **** Smelling Foulness I Can't Even Imagine, or Maybe I Just Don't Want Too. Five-Hundred Yards... That's the Length of Five Football Fields, Just Shy of Half a Mile.-Morgan Freeman, Shawshnk Redemption

All League
    I am looking up the data... I just know that the Pack are not in money need. Their market includes Milwaukee, Madison and other large communities. The Packers are one of the largest nationally marketed teams and this does count for a major portion of their income.

2003 they were ranked 10th in the NFL

2005 13th

Last year they were ranked 11th.

Money is not the issue. The list of teams that are less financially solvent would suprise you.

I am not talking about buying a team as the skins have attempted. That doesn't work. I am talking about 1-2 free agents that might not even be major impact players. Simply getting solid support would be a nice thing.

Pace is an example of that type of player for you guys.

The colts are not the norm but I agree that they are a great team to bring up. But I wonder, if they had went and gotten 1-2 impact free agents maybe they would not ahve been the Pats little *****es for so long. Also, the packers have let many go far too early so the managments approach is not that similar.

This has been a 5 year issue for me. I have sat every off-season and waited for the one signing to take us over the top. I have waited to have the off season that you guys are having.

I will NEVER forget where I was when Reggie was signed. I turned to my wife and said "we are going to the superbowl". I was right. I have never felt that way by off season moves since.

EDIT: Most of all... thanks to you guys for letting me rant on here. This Favre issue has been tough on me and this board has me looking forward to the season.
    What is the Packers cap situation ? You know they got 12 million when Favre left...

i don't see the beef with the packer management over brett. face it, he's old. we should all realize that whatever success he brings the jets will have an end sooner rather than later. however, the jets really only need him to play well for two seasons. then clemens or ratliff or even ainge will be ready to take over and by all accounts the team won't have to adjust much.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    i don't see the beef with the packer management over brett. face it, he's old. we should all realize that whatever success he brings the jets will have an end sooner rather than later. however, the jets really only need him to play well for two seasons. then clemens or ratliff or even ainge will be ready to take over and by all accounts the team won't have to adjust much.

... the beef is they made a decision to find out about their backup qb & hoped for leader for the next 10-15 years ..

... instead of ...

... choosing to field the best possible team THIS year & giving themselves the best chance to win THIS season...

... if our front office had done the same - we would be crucifying them ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Brett Crawled to freedom through Five-hundred Yards of **** Smelling Foulness I Can't Even Imagine, or Maybe I Just Don't Want Too. Five-Hundred Yards... That's the Length of Five Football Fields, Just Shy of Half a Mile.-Morgan Freeman, Shawshnk Redemption
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Great quote. (Where in Tokyo... my favorite city on earth. I ran the Tokyo 1/2 marathon in 99 and 00 and fell in love with the city.)

lamont, thanks man... you are an example of how welcoming the Jets fans have been.