View Poll Results: Should players/athletes get paid to play in college?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 33.33%
  • No

    27 64.29%
  • Undecided

    1 2.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Should college athletes get paid for being in sports?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    1,342

    Should college athletes get paid for being in sports?

    I was just watching "why you can't blame...." on ESPN classic, and their topic was college athletes getting/not getting paid on the side. After ten minutes or so, I honestly say that they should. They were stating that NCAA made $500 billion in '04-'05. One school (I don't remember which one) made $50 million from sports while only giving out $2 million in scholoorships.

    So where's the rest go? People pay for certain player's jersey just for the fact their number and sometimes name appear on the back. So why not reward those accordingly?

    The negatives of this of course, is that big named schools will be able to pony up for the bigger named players, ala the Yankees- (sorry New Yorkers)
    and also that the players who excell more or are more popular, will get more than their teamate.

    So what do you guys think?

    Why or why not?
    Last edited by fuzzyjetsfan; 09-03-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I wanted to put in the why/why not option.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    A 4 year education is at least 75 grand, and that is an extremely conservative amount. If you are that good, you are going for free, and have a chance to make millions in the pros. That is more than enough compensation.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,971
    i voted no but they should be able to get jobs and make money

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10,084
    No, playing sports in college is not their job. If it turns out good and that player becomes a profressional, well then Ruby said it best, they'll be very welll taken care of.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    Do you know how much 4 years of BC is?

    They get to go for free while Eddie the Econ major is knee deep in loans because he wanted a name school.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    i voted no but they should be able to get jobs and make money
    The diploma they earn while playing the sport would definitely help with that.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    1,342

    Not every player will be taken care of...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    No, playing sports in college is not their job. If it turns out good and that player becomes a profressional, well then Ruby said it best, they'll be very welll taken care of.
    See Maurice Clarett.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    A 4 year education is at least 75 grand, and that is an extremely conservative amount. If you are that good, you are going for free, and have a chance to make millions in the pros. That is more than enough compensation.
    Thats why state schools are the way to go.
    Last edited by WoodyPaige; 09-03-2008 at 10:01 PM.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    The diploma they earn while playing the sport would definitely help with that.
    what about spending money while they are in school?

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyjetsfan View Post
    See Maurice Clarett.
    And that is the college systems fault???

    Maurice Clarett was a failure because he was an ignoramous and an abortion of a human being, not because he didn't get paid for getting a free education.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,456
    Man I would love to go to Stanford for free, play sports and get paid for it.

    Can't have your cake and eat it, so I voted NO

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    1,342

    That was part of the point...

    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    what about spending money while they are in school?
    They put up the "cost of living" stating that it is hard for most to pay just to live. Jim McMahon said that he didn't get paid for anything, his wife paid for food, clothes, ect... He then said "If they're paying now, I'll go back. I didn't graduate" (lol)

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyjetsfan View Post
    See Maurice Clarett.
    What's your point, he's a punk. Don't blame the lack of his $ for his downfall.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    1,342

    That was just the first name that came to mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    And that is the college systems fault???

    Maurice Clarett was a failure because he was an ignoramous and an abortion of a human being, not because he didn't get paid for getting a free education.
    They had him on the show.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyjetsfan View Post
    They had him on the show.
    Ok, i just dont see how the refference is valid to your argument.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,142
    hell ya they should be paid.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyjetsfan View Post
    See Maurice Clarett.
    Maurice Clarett has no one to blame but himself for his position in life. If he was getting paid in school he'd still be where he is now.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Ok, i just dont see how the refference is valid to your argument.
    It's not, it's actually a horrible reference.

  19. #19
    I voted undecided not because I can't make a decision but because I would change my answer depending on how they get paid. If they got a small hourly wage for practice and game time I might be okay with. Not if their being paid like pros. Every player would have to make the same amount regardless of school or talent of the players though.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    I think I remember seeing a thing on St. Johns once.

    Since the Queens campus didnt have dorms years ago, the St. Johns basketball team were given stipements to get their own apartments. Players would in turn get cheap apartments and pocket the rest. That turned out to be a huge recruiting tool.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us