Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for Mangini to prove he has it!

It's time for Mangini to prove he has it!

A little over 3 years ago Tannenbaum approached Woody and told him the Patriot's were the best team and to beat the best you must get the best coach possible. Little known outside the NFL coachs circle Eric Mangini was named as Jet's Head coach. Mangini has beaten Belichek only once and now with a hall of Fame QB leading the Jets it's time to show everyone he has the ability to beat the Patriots in 08'. The loss of Brady is a major hit to the Pats and this Sunday the Jets have no excuses. Favre should be quite comfortable with the play calling by now. Our defense is going up against a QB whose last start was High school.Tannenbaum spent a lot of Woody's money this off season. The Patriot's are ripe to be taken after loosing their Pro Bowl QB. It's now time for the Jets and Mangini to step up and over the Patriot franchise in 2008!

All Pro
    Mangini did everything in his power in the 4th quarter to lose the Dolphins game.
    We won in spite of him. They have one of the worst secondaries in the league and we only throw 19 times?

Ridiculous.

Hopefully, Favre starts ignoring the calls that come in when they are terrible.

Anyone notice the 60 yard bomb to Cotch was an audible?
    I am sure the original call was Jones up the middle.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Mangini did everything in his power in the 4th quarter to lose the Dolphins game.
    We won in spite of him. They have one of the worst secondaries in the league and we only throw 19 times?

Ridiculous.

Press reports indicate Favre's audible call was a dummy call to lure the Dolphin defense closer to the line, the play went as intended by the staff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Press reports indicate Favre's audible call was a dummy call to lure the Dolphin defense closer to the line, the play went as intended by the staff.
    Hey, hey...let's not let facts get in the way of a good coach bashing story.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Hey, hey...let's not let facts get in the way of a good coach bashing story.
    OK, Ok, be cool... I retract my statement.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Correct.

Veteran

Ridiculous.

Sorry, but you're dead wrong. Had we been facing Brady in that game than you go for the pass. But it was Chad, Favre (said so himself) was tired and there was no need to make a mistake or leave the fish with a T.O.

The call was the right one and I for one I'm tired of second guessing a decision that got us a WIN.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Foley1028 View Post
    Sorry, but you're dead wrong. Had we been facing Brady in that game than you go for the pass. But it was Chad, Favre (said so himself) was tired and there was no need to make a mistake or leave the fish with a T.O.

The call was the right one and I for one I'm tired of second guessing a decision that got us a WIN.
    Sorry, but you are dead right.

Veteran

+1!

Mangini was right with the game plan, TJ was showing he could run all over them the 1st half, so he went the 2nd half with the run game to take away the game. Favre still wasn't totally in sync with the WRs, well guys like Coles, and Favre was doing horrible with the protection calls, so running the ball in the 2nd half was the best thing, that fumble by Favre hurt us, we should of been up 27-7, but a few mistakes and then we make it a much closer game then it really was being 20-14.

All Pro
    so chad's gone and now we rip Mangini? Awesome. I stated this in a previous thread and I firmly believe the decision to run on 3rd and 7 WON the game for the jets. Whats with all these hindsight coaches on herer -- the 4th down TD would have been destroyed on here HAD we not made it. We did...we didn't make 3rd and 7..welcome to the NFL....Leaving Miami with a timeout in it's arsenal on the possbility of an incomplete pass would be foolish...you go with the chances...you run it, force them to burn a timeout...make them scramble together a drive which makes mistake more possible..which is EXACTLY what happened...coaching 101....the jets should have stopped them on 4th down and this would have been irrelevant..but they didn't, oh well -- bad call on 4th down? This place has all the answers you tell me....bottom line...we dont have a randy moss or any kind of GURANTEED completion play in the book...we do have a run play, designed late in the game to milk the clock..shocking i know but in the end it worked, we're 1-0 and now our coach is gutless ---- idiots i tell you

All Pro

100% correct sir -- it's amusing and at the same time alarming the lack of football knowledge on this football board..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    so chad's gone and now we rip Mangini? Awesome. I stated this in a previous thread and I firmly believe the decision to run on 3rd and 7 WON the game for the jets. Whats with all these hindsight coaches on herer -- the 4th down TD would have been destroyed on here HAD we not made it. We did...we didn't make 3rd and 7..welcome to the NFL....Leaving Miami with a timeout in it's arsenal on the possbility of an incomplete pass would be foolish...you go with the chances...you run it, force them to burn a timeout...make them scramble together a drive which makes mistake more possible..which is EXACTLY what happened...coaching 101....the jets should have stopped them on 4th down and this would have been irrelevant..but they didn't, oh well -- bad call on 4th down? This place has all the answers you tell me....bottom line...we dont have a randy moss or any kind of GURANTEED completion play in the book...we do have a run play, designed late in the game to milk the clock..shocking i know but in the end it worked, we're 1-0 and now our coach is gutless ---- idiots i tell you
    Yuo could not be more correct. There is not a coach in the league that would have thrown a pass in that situation. There are a lot of anonymous idiots on the internet who may have, but no professional coach would have thrown in that situation.

If you're up 3 there, you might throw. You might worry that the Dolphins could get into FG range to tie it up, so a 1st down would be imperative there. But, up 6, facing Chad Pennington, you have to trust your defense to keep them out of the endzone. Which they did. So, you make them burn their last time out. Worked to perfection.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ridiculous.

Actually it wasn't an audible. They asked if it was or if it was called and the answer was that it was a called play with a dummy audible to fool the D.

Funny how little people know about what actually happens during a game. But are quick to judge based on that lack of insight.

Then again, a pass play at the end of the game would have been dumb. If it went incomplete the fish would have had an extra stoppage and more time on the clock. Funny, the number one complaint about Chad was his arm made it impossible to lead his team to comeback wins and now everyone would have taken a chance on a INT etc at the end of the game instead of making Chad move downfield and winning the game with his arm.

It's so easy to play monday morning QB.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-09-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Veteran
    100% correct sir -- it's amusing and at the same time alarming the lack of football knowledge on this football board..

Even all the papers puked up the same "almost cost us the game" line... He won us the game. Perhaps on the previous drives (on both side of the ball) we played it a bit to tight to the vest, but the last drives (on both side of the ball) were played the way they should have been.... It would have been a mistake to blitz Chad on the last drive. Making him beat the coverage was the right move, expecially as they neared the redzone. On Chad's TD drive I thought they should have got after him a bit more, but I never really second guessed it much... ditto with our three runs that lead to Miami's TD drive... we might have been better off trying to throw but taking off the time was most likely (and it turns out it was) the better move.
    Last edited by Foley1028; 09-09-2008 at 02:41 PM.

All Pro
    coach is gutless
    Your right, he is gutless. We need a killer instinct, not Herm ball. Ever since that onside kick against the Bears didnt work, he has never made a ballsy call since.

You might be happy with a W, but we are going to lose games because of coaching like this against non 1-15 teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Your right, he is gutless. We need a killer instinct, not Herm ball. Ever since that onside kick against the Bears didnt work, he has never made a ballsy call since.

You might be happy with a W, but we are going to lose games because of coaching like this against non 1-15 teams.
    You seriously think that this or any coaching staff coaches the same way week in and week out without regard to who they are playing?

You haven't really been paying attention then.

Hell, even Revis said in an interview that they planned to basically make Chad throw the ball. There are certain games where you need to think about things

Brady > Pennington

That means what you need to think about is "can my defense hold this guy". Pennington is a yes... ESPECIALLY in the redzone with no timeouts or any real chances at running the ball. How many of us have dreaded seeing Chad in the redzone? The only time he was effective in the redzone was with CuMar.

I think we can all agree that the Phins D is better then their O. Not a bad D-line or LB's. So what did Mangini do? He put it in the hands where he felt the JETS had the advantage.

The decision worked out. We won. We said come take it and he couldn't. PERIOD.

All League

Way to quote completely out of context

But I guess this shouldn't be surprising coming from the guy who still thought Chad should be our starting QB right up until he was cut.

Rookie
    Please see Farve's statements in the picture on my signature for his thoughts on this board.....
    Last edited by Jets_Penguin; 09-09-2008 at 02:54 PM.