Thread: Deacon Jones/Warren Sapp - Inside the NFL

All League

Deacon Jones/Warren Sapp - Inside the NFL

Did anybody see the new "Inside the NFL" on Showtime?....They had a segment with Deacon Jones and Warren Sapp they called "Old School v. New School"....Good stuff....If you didn't catch it, it's on again today at Noon EST, and I'm sure it'll be on again.

I remember Deacon Jones toward the end of his career with the Rams. He was an absolute MONSTER....He invented the "head slap", where he would come off the line and slap his opponent on each ear hole....It was crazy back then....Basically no rules.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Deacon Jones is one scary-ass looking dude...I didn't know he put an album out?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Warren Sapp is "new"???

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Warren Sapp is "new"???
    Compared to Deacon Jones he is.

BTW, I thought the headslap was invented by Richard "Tombstone" Jackson. Anyone out there got some info?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Which one can roll a doobie best?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    BTW, I thought the headslap was invented by Richard "Tombstone" Jackson. Anyone out there got some info?
    I thought my Dad invented it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I thought my Dad invented it.

At the time he played, there was only one offensive tackle that could contain him and it was Bob Brown on his own team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    "Tough Love" or abuse? You make the call!

All Pro
    Good segment. The debate on Jim Brown vs. Tomlinson was funny, although Deacon claimed Jim was 250 pounds, which he wasn't. If Jim Brown wasn't the greatest ever, I'll eat my hat...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post

I remember Deacon Jones toward the end of his career with the Rams. He was an absolute MONSTER....He invented the "head slap", where he would come off the line and slap his opponent on each ear hole....It was crazy back then....Basically no rules.
    He didn't invent it Amos Alonzo Stagg did..Hell Big Daddy Liscomb was great at it and he played before Deacon who perfected a double slap..

Hall Of Fame
    That was scary: before they flashed his name, I'm looking at Deacon Jones and thinking who's great-grandfather is this? Damn he got old.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He didn't invent it Amos Alonzo Stagg did..Hell Big Daddy Liscomb was great at it and he played before Deacon who perfected a double slap..
    Deacon always claimed he invented it....He said he used to tape quarters to the palms of his hands and would "hit you so hard on your ear holes, you be thinkin' your phone is ringin' for a week".

He did a similar segment quite a few years ago with Strahan and they took it even further....He asked Strahan how many pairs of cleats he had and Strahan said something like a hundred, and Deacon laughed and said he played full seasons with one pair.

Players back then were by far, MUCH tougher.

Veteran
    Not if many people on this board are aware how great a football player Deacon Jones was. In the last 10 years give or take a couple of years, during a super bowl week, the writers had an opportunity to do a mock draft on greatest players of all time. Of the Top 4 picks, only one (the no. 1 overall pick) was an offensive player - Jim Brown. The next 3 players drafted were 2. Lawrence Taylor 3. Dick Butkus 4. Deacon Jones.

NFL Films has a special on Jones and Butkus. They interview coaches and players who they played for and against. Great Stuff!

They needed to change rules to contain this man! He was a BAD DUDE!

All Pro
    Tombstone Jackson is famous for a few things but one of them is breaking the helmet of a Packer player with a headslap. It was a different game back then for sure.

Rookie
    Deacon Jones is even cooler than the ice cube. Wiki has a good right up on him. It would have been great to see him play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Jones
    part of the wiki write up on DJ

Sacks

Jones was considered by many to revolutionize the position of defensive end. Jones was noted for coining the "sack". What separated Jones from every other defensive end was his blinding speed and his ability to make tackles from sideline to sideline, which was unheard of in his time.

He claims that he accumulated 173.5 sacks over his career, which would be third on the all-time sack list.[7]

In 1967, Jones amassed 26 sacks in 14 games, which (if official) would be the single season record. The term "sack" had not yet been coined at the time, and official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982.

All League
    I was thinking about Deacon Jones the other day and just laughed to myself.

I was thinking about his appearance on the NFL Network shortly after it first aired, and he was sitting down with two other players, I can't remember who they were. Anyway, they were talking about celebrity, fame and all the problems that current football players have to deal with, and the discussion turned to women.

Jones said that they didn't have his "game" and that he used to have tons of women. He said he could still "pull" more women than them and "still has game". The players were cracking up. Hysterical. Mr. Jones said he would bet each of them that he could go the the club that same ngiht and get more women, because he's an "O G"(Original Gangster).

LMAO LMAO.

If you really want to hear Jones at his best, listen to the radio row stuff or his interviews with Mike and the Mad Dog. He usually comes on around the Super Bowl. Great stuff. Like listening to your grandfather tell his stories.
    Last edited by MiamiJet; 09-11-2008 at 02:00 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by phitzc View Post
    Deacon Jones is even cooler than the ice cube. Wiki has a good right up on him. It would have been great to see him play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Jones
    part of the wiki write up on DJ

Sacks

Jones was considered by many to revolutionize the position of defensive end. Jones was noted for coining the "sack". What separated Jones from every other defensive end was his blinding speed and his ability to make tackles from sideline to sideline, which was unheard of in his time.

He claims that he accumulated 173.5 sacks over his career, which would be third on the all-time sack list.[7]

In 1967, Jones amassed 26 sacks in 14 games, which (if official) would be the single season record. The term "sack" had not yet been coined at the time, and official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982.

....and 6 in the post season....Amazing.