Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts--As Jets talent gets better, play gets worse.

All Pro

Post game thoughts--As Jets talent gets better, play gets worse.

What a pathetic showing on national television.

-The big question is: How come the more talent the Jets get, the worse they perform? Heres my problems.

1-Eric Smith--Not only should he be benched, but cut would be more deserving. And thats not just cause he fell--The guy has been bad for soo long.

2-Poor gameplan? Coaching?-- We used to be a bad team that beat teams by gameplanning in 06. Now we are a good team that can't gameplan to save their life. We dont attack teams weakness, we dont exploit theirs, or hide ours, We dont apply pressure, we play safe. We have a defense right now that someone like Wade Phillips would have looking amazing(Someone give me dallas/chargers DC please). We are boring, predictable, and so easy to read on both sides of the ball. Its like we are just going through the motions.

3--Favre said we dont celebrate, or get into the game--And he is right--We are a team full of robots and IMo thats a bad thing. (Will expand alot on this in the future)

4--We dont have a personality---We dont play with certain strengths, It feels like we are watching a team in LImbo--Learning on the job. Last week we wanted to be a run team, This week a throwing team. Last week a conservative team, this week we kick onside kicks.

In 2006 we had a personality--we used motion, trick, no huddle, and short passing on Offense, while we used tons of fronts on D, Had anyone and everyone blitz and confuse the hell out of people. Mangini coached to win games(NE last drive, Colts game, onside, etc). Great Gameplanning.

In 2008 we have about 20 times the talent as 2006 and the exact opp is happening. I feel like we are running a vanilla team in the preseason right now. Poor gameplanning, horrible execution, we are watching a team that doesnt even know who the are. It is physically painful to watch the Jets right now.
    Last edited by KR; 09-23-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Banned
    Erik Smith does not belong in the NFL! Where is Marcus Henry? Why do I feel like Mangini got out coached again? Farve said this was a must win! I wonder how the team will respond to this? Bob Suttons D play calling is horrible! Schotty and Callahan are not getting along so it is told!! I am sure Callahan is telling schotty, "and you got this job how"??? Schotty should be demoted and promote Callahan! Our game planning and adjusting in the game is horrendous!!

S.O.S

All Pro
    Eric Smith looks completely lost out on the defense (on the first LT touchdown he didn't even budge until LT was already airborne and into the endzone, he literally just tapped him down after LT jumped into his lap)! That guy is definitely a liability and should go immediately!

The rest of the Defense struggle after Jenkins went down. It's a shame but our D doesn't do squat without Jenkins!!!

On the Offensive side we went from one extremely to the other. We went from run oriented to no running at all (this may have been because we were playing catchup the whole game). It's almost impossible to give up 31 points in the half and still keep the game competitive.

Veteran
    My biggest comment is - win next week, and get to the bye at 2-2, and the possibilities are all there. The first 3 games after the bye are all gimmies.

Now - are there issues at this point? Of course.

Is it completely shocking? Definitely not. It's easy to imagine that the offense needs to do a *lot* of gelling. Coaching issues? Well, that's less excusable...

But as long as we start showing improvement after the bye, which is very reasonable to hope for, then making the playoffs is perfectly doable.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    My biggest comment is - win next week, and get to the bye at 2-2, and the possibilities are all there. The first 3 games after the bye are all gimmies.

Is it completely shocking? Definitely not. It's easy to imagine that the offense needs to do a *lot* of gelling. Coaching issues? Well, that's less excusable...

But as long as we start showing improvement after the bye, which is very reasonable to hope for, then making the playoffs is perfectly doable.
    GIMMIES? GIMMIES?

Were you even watching last night?

We are PATHETIC. We couldn't beat Herm's Chiefs right now. How can you even use the word GIMMIES?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    (Someone give me dallas/chargers DC please).
    Don't know about the Cowboys but isn't the Chargers DC Ted Cotrell? Sometimes how much being a jet fan sucks defies logic...

We have a defense right now that someone like Wade Phillips would have looking amazing(Someone give me dallas/chargers DC please).
    Look, the defense is awful. Now in the third season I have yet to see ONE play in which being in the 3-4 gave us an advantage, but do you realize you just asked for TED COTTRELL!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcoached View Post
    Look, the defense is awful. Now in the third season I have yet to see ONE play in which being in the 3-4 gave us an advantage, but do you realize you just asked for TED COTTRELL!!!!
    Let the record show that COTTRELL won last night and we lost!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD329 View Post

GIMMIES? GIMMIES?

The only way the term gimmie should be associated with this team is when teh fans tell Woody "Gimmie my money back".

At some point people have to stop making excuses for the staff. I dont think Mangini is terrible, but hes a borderline average coach at best. Everyone made excuses last year that our QB play and our offensive line is why the offense was bad. Everyone said our defense sucked because we have guys playing out of position for Mangini. We have upgraded our line and our QB and the offense still is the exact same garbage as it was last year. We have basically scored nothing in 3 games, 2 of which are against teams which are substandard defenses. Our pass rush still stinks. Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, David Harris, Kerry Rhodes where are you? Our coverage is terrible outside of our two corners. How in the world is it that New England can get by with players like Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel among others through the years and we cant cover anybody?

The Belichick coaching tree has thus far been terrible. Romeo Crennel has been a disaster in Cleveland. Charlie Weiss is garbage at Notre Dame. Nick Saban was beyond bad in Miami. Somehow nobody wants to admit it, but bringing in Belichick guys has been a terrible strategy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD329 View Post
    GIMMIES? GIMMIES?

We are PATHETIC. We couldn't beat Herm's Chiefs right now. How can you even use the word GIMMIES?
    Was this intentionally Mora-esque?

...we couldn't do diddly-poo out there.

Veteran
    Mangina and the coaching staff should be fired.!

-The big question is: How come the more talent the Jets get, the worse they perform? Heres my problems.

1-Eric Smith--Not only should he be benched, but cut would be more deserving. And thats not just cause he fell--The guy has been bad for soo long.

2-Poor gameplan? Coaching?-- We used to be a bad team that beat teams by gameplanning in 06. Now we are a good team that can't gameplan to save their life. We dont attack teams weakness, we dont exploit theirs, or hide ours, We dont apply pressure, we play safe. We have a defense right now that someone like Wade Phillips would have looking amazing(Someone give me dallas/chargers DC please). We are boring, predictable, and so easy to read on both sides of the ball. Its like we are just going through the motions.

3--Favre said we dont celebrate, or get into the game--And he is right--We are a team full of robots and IMo thats a bad thing. (Will expand alot on this in the future)

4--We dont have a personality---We dont play with certain strengths, It feels like we are watching a team in LImbo--Learning on the job. Last week we wanted to be a run team, This week a throwing team. Last week a conservative team, this week we kick onside kicks.

In 2006 we had a personality--we used motion, trick, no huddle, and short passing on Offense, while we used tons of fronts on D, Had anyone and everyone blitz and confuse the hell out of people. Mangini coached to win games(NE last drive, Colts game, onside, etc). Great Gameplanning.

In 2008 we have about 20 times the talent as 2006 and the exact opp is happening. I feel like we are running a vanilla team in the preseason right now. Poor gameplanning, horrible execution, we are watching a team that doesnt even know who the are. It is physically painful to watch the Jets right now.

All Pro

-

I justwanted to address this one point because I think that so many out here are blaming Farve. I see a non existent running game and WR who can't get open Farve is having to scan the field as many as four times and the WR have NO SEPERATION!!!! And the team has as an added canker sore taken the position that low emotion demonstartions is the mark of of a football player. Where is the passion for the game. It is sad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post

WTF are you smoking. There are few "gimmies" inthe NFL. There are none for this team. Have you watched them for the past year plus. We are not good at every level. Coaching included.

Rookie
    Question 1: BT has been our best pass rusher thru two games so how does he spend the entire game last night? Dropping into coverage

Question 2: We signed Pace, drafted Gholston and kept BT because manginia wanted a physical LB who can rush the passer. Why do we insist on covering slot WR's on 3rd and long with our 265LB backers instead of pressuring the passer?

Question 3: Why doesnt Leon get more touches instead of Jones? At least Leon can make a big play and turn nothing into something. Jones can get 6 if there is a gaping hole. If there is no hole he falls sideways.

Question 4: Why wait until we are down in the 4th to let Farve start throwing slants? That is his comfort zone. We need to start calling those earlier.

Question 5: Its obvious Stuckey has some chemistry with farve. He seems like a quick guy who can improvise routes. Lets get him more PT. If Coles wants to mope let him. Lets see more Stucky

Question 6: Why is our FB in during obvious passing downs and furthermore why are we lining him and TJones up at WR? Does that really scare anyone?

Veteran

Agree completely. We play with zero emotion, zero personality, and zero sense of urgency, and that stems directly from the HC...he is an emotionless slug, and the teams play on the field reflects that. No gameplanning whatsoever....as Favre is learning on the job right now, so is Mangini.

As for the Chargers DC...we had him a few years ago under Herm, and most on this board wanted him gone a year or 2 before he was fired. I for one liked Teddy.

All League
    I can't recall when any team in recent memory went out and spent a bunch of $$ to bring in a bunch of FA's, and then went on to have a very good season. Just seems like in the NFL, you can't just throw $ at the holes in your team and expect a good ride for the season. Someone please prove me wrong that it is possible! Redskins seem to be exhibit A for my point, and looks like the Jets will be exhibit B...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I can't recall when any team in recent memory went out and spent a bunch of $$ to bring in a bunch of FA's, and then went on to have a very good season. Just seems like in the NFL, you can't just throw $ at the holes in your team and expect a good ride for the season. Someone please prove me wrong that it is possible! Redskins seem to be exhibit A for my point, and looks like the Jets will be exhibit B...
    Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Adalius Thomas worked out well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Guck the Fiants View Post
    Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Adalius Thomas worked out well.
    Good point.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcoached View Post
    I am asking for a 1 gap attacking 3-4 defense, instead of the two gap "read and react" defense. I hate read and react.........The name does not matter, the philosophy does to me.