Thread: NFL Week #6....Some Thoughts

All Pro

NFL Week #6....Some Thoughts

You know, I have heard all week about how the Giants are the "best" and "most dominant" team in football. Perhaps, and I am just spit balling here, before everyone declares the Giants as repeat Super Bowl Champs, they should have waited until they actually beat someone who could hand off and chew gum at the same time.
    A very sloppy week one win over the Redskins plus wins over the awful Rams, Seahawks and Bengals (in OT, mind you) with a combined record of 2-14 don't exactly a dominant team make. They got beat up and down the field by a Browns team that has been an NFL whipping post all season and Eli Manning looked an awful lot like the pre-last postseason Eli Manning to me. I like the Giants and think they'll win the East, but I think they have a few games coming up that'll tell us a lot more about them than the cupcake section of their schedule has.

Oh, speaking of teams that have been over-hyped and stunk this past weekend......and as far as the Cowboys go, let me simply say this.
    OV-ER RAT-ED. This team is as fundamentally flawed as any contended I have ever seen.
    Their coach stinks, period.
    Tony Romo drops the ball more than any QB East of the Cardinals Kurt Warner.
    One or two more losses and I fully expect the class acts of T.O. and Pacman to go nuclear in that locker room.
    This is gonna be fun.

Dear Redskins. You actually have to show up for all the games on your schedule. Seriously. It's in the rule book. Losing to the Rams at home is kind of like finding a regular team that would lose in the special Olympics. (Thank you, Lewis Black for that material.)

I would like to thank the 49ers for doing everything humanly possible to assure they didn't cover the spread today. 24 4th Quarter points? Seriously?
    If the Eagles had a play in short yardage situations that could gain two yards (I learned in their game against the Bears a few weeks ago that they, in fact, do not) they might have gotten the first down, took a knee 3 times and won by 4 (saving me the cover with the Niners +4.5) but noooooooo. You have to not make the 2 yards and kick a FG. Jackasses.

Speaking of which, you gotta love the Bears,snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the Falcons.
    Here's a hint to NFL teams. I have no official numbers on this, but of every 100 kickoffs I see, maybe one gets run back for a TD and maybe 10 get past the 35 yard line. Squib kicking the ball and giving the opponent great field position when they only need a FG to win is the single dumbest thing that all NFL coaches do. Of course, it is always an advantage when you give the home team 8 seconds to run out a clock that reads 6 seconds.....Oh, and by the way, the Falcons sure seem to not miss old Michael Vick too much, do they?

Another heavy fav that should have lost plays in Minnesota, where the Vikings were completely bailed out by a phantom pass interference call. Hey, the Lions are the Los Angeles Clippers of the NFL, but they had that game won and got robbed.

Maybe the surprise team in the NFC resides in Tampa, where the Buccaneers swatted the Panthers Sunday. Bucs are 4-2 with their two losses being on the road to pretty good teams in the Saints and the Broncos...in pretty tough places to play.
    I am anxious to see Tampa play in Dallas in a few weeks. If you look at the Bucs schedule, it is completely conceivable they could win 12 games and be the #1 seed in he playoffs. I know they lost at home to the Giants in the opening round last season, but I think they'll be pretty tough at home.

Perhaps we have all buried the Colts just a tad bit too early? As long as Peyton Manning runs that squad (and he is by far still the best Manning in the game) they are still, in my mind, the favorite to come out of the Bradyless AFC.
    It is amazing that the Ravens have been the same team for about 10 years. Is there some law that we are all unaware of against a guy with any skill playing the QB position in the state of Maryland?

The Saints squashed the Raiders. That sentence is more coverage than the Raiders deserve. What has become of the Oakland Raiders is a damn shame for a once proud franchise.
    A guest host on PTI last week said that he liked the "Darwin Theory" in the NFL with regard to the Detroit Lions. The theory is that if your family owns a team for 25 years and you stink for all 25 of them... you lose the team. Al Davis is rapidly approaching that point.

How long will it be before we can see a highlight of a Packers game where Brett Favre's name doesn't come up? I know this is a rhetorical question, but will these damn announcers give it a break already. Brett Favre does not play in Green Bay any more. F**king deal with it.
    By the way, there was a time that going to Seattle to play the Seahawks was a scary proposition. Now, the only thing scary about Seattle is Courtney Love.

Speaking of the Messiah... Tony Kornheiser's man-crush, Brett Favre won another game for the Jets over the Bengals. What's more surprising than the game result is that the entire Bengals team made the trip in and out of New York without anyone getting arrested. (The over/under was 1.5 Bengals Arrested. Naturally, I had the over.)

The Jaguars went into Mile High (I refuse to call it anything else) and beat the Broncos.
    Why are the Jags the team that you don't ever want to play, yet they've never actually won anything. Haven't they been "really good this year" for a lot of years?

In the "We Just Lost to the Dolphins Too" Bowl, the Chargers beat the Patriots up and down the field on national TV.
    I tell you, between what is happening to the Patsies and the (Devil) Rays using the Red Sox pitching staff for batting practice..... I just cannot imagine all the heartbreak in Beantown. It just really breaks my heart to see all the misery in Chowderland.

Now, if they could just find Kevin Garnett passed out at a Red Roof Inn with a fifth of Jack, an 8 ball and a hooker with a large Adams apple......

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?
    Last edited by Phoenixx; 10-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Nice work. Good read.

Veteran
    Titans are the best team in the NFL, I've been saying this for the past 3 weeks. Looking forward to the matchup later this year...should be a good barometer for us.

Hall Of Fame
    um....can you do this every week?

Really good work. Well done. I havent really understood the Giants bandwagon myself. To me the way they have played has simply been a product of their schedule as much as a dominating team performance. Thats not to say they are a bad team, but all things considered they are not a lock to be the best team in the East....Right now the Bucs are playing the best football in the NFL and in the toughest division in the NFL. I was really impressed with them...As for the Colts, Im still not sold, but I wonder if Houston awoke a sleeping giant when they let them off the hook the other week. Indy could and maybe should have been winless going into that game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Really good work. Well done. I havent really understood the Giants bandwagon myself. To me the way they have played has simply been a product of their schedule as much as a dominating team performance. Thats not to say they are a bad team, but all things considered they are not a lock to be the best team in the East....Right now the Bucs are playing the best football in the NFL and in the toughest division in the NFL. I was really impressed with them...As for the Colts, Im still not sold, but I wonder if Houston awoke a sleeping giant when they let them off the hook the other week. Indy could and maybe should have been winless going into that game.
    I was glad to see the Giants lose, since I couldn't take all the praise they were getting, for beating no one. Because the Skins were the only decent team they played and they were lost that night.

And I loved hearing the Over-Rated chant last night....

As for the Skin's, they blew a big opportunity, but facing a winless team the week they fire their coach is always a tough spot...

Enjoyable read...hope you keep doin it. And you're right about the Bucs, tough losses @ the Saints and Broncos, while experiencing QB instability, is nothing to be ashamed of. With Garcia apparently healthy and back at the helm, they wont have that problem anymore. He wont get picked 3 times in a game. And they are a solid defensive team. 12 Ws a definate possibility.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    um....can you do this every week?
    Oui.

J'essaierai si j'ai le temps.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Oui.

J'essaierai si j'ai le temps.
    Bravo. Certains Francais ne savent pas ecrire "J'essaierai".

Banned
    This is the first year I've had the NFL Sunday Ticket. I couldn't get DTV at my old house, but I have it here at my new house.

Having had the chance to watch every NFL team now for 6 weeks (and I DVR a lot of games), I have to tell you, I'm not overly impressed with any team.

The Jets are just as good as any other team out there.

Sure the Jets could lose to anyone. After all, they're the Jets.

But there is not one single team out there that the Jets couldn't line up against and beat. Not one.

This season is going to come down to injuries. The Jets, like most other teams, are one injury away from a top 5 draft spot. But, if they stay healthy, the Jets are going to be playing meaningful January football.

Undrafted Free Agent

It sucks being from Boston

In the "We Just Lost to the Dolphins Too" Bowl, the Chargers beat the Patriots up and down the field on national TV.
    I tell you, between what is happening to the Patsies and the (Devil) Rays using the Red Sox pitching staff for batting practice..... I just cannot imagine all the heartbreak in Beantown. It just really breaks my heart to see all the misery in Chowderland.

Oh yeah, 3 Superbowls, 2 World Series, 1 NBA Championship, an undefeated season, a total Yankees collapse......it's been very difficult.

Man I miss the '90's.

Veteran
    im sorry but i honestly think the titans r a very overated team that got on a hot lucky streak like the our jets did in 2000 when we started 5-0 and then miss ed the playoffs all together

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    im sorry but i honestly think the titans r a very overated team that got on a hot lucky streak like the our jets did in 2000 when we started 5-0 and then miss ed the playoffs all together
    I disagree. Even with Collins or VY they are the best team in the NFL. Their defense is no joke and Chris Johnson is what Reggie Bush was supposed to be. Don't know if you get to see them much, but I think they'll be on MNF a couple weeks from now against the Colts...that team could be 7-0 by then. Just hope we can keep up with them...and maybe they slip up here and there with a couple losses

Veteran
    Yeah man, nice read good job.

I still think the Giants are the best team in football as long as eli is healthy. Games like monday will happen to any team.

Just imagine......with a loss against the Broncos sunday, the Pats could be 3-3....ahhhh, brings chills to me just thinking about it..