Thread: One facet of game to improve to be serious

Rookie

One facet of game to improve to be serious

This may be premature, but if this team develops the running game 30% more, we are serious contenders.

-The run D is among the best this year.
    -Our passing game is not a problem in the least.
    -OUr special teams is great.
    -When Nugent comes back, we are solid from inside the 45 on field goals, I dont care what anyone says, LOOK AT THE STATS.
    -our pass coverage-not the greatest right now, but I can see it gelling, not only that when it starts to get cold and windy, it will be less of a factor.

GREATNESS IS GOING TO BE DETERMINED BY OUR ABILITY TO IMPROVE OUR RUNNING GAME. ANd if that means Leon plays, Mangini better act.

All Pro
    The running game is looking effective, everyone knows it takes time for the O-Line to jell and we have a lot of new pieces up there. They should get better as the season goes on.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    This may be premature, but if this team develops the running game 30% more, we are serious contenders.

GREATNESS IS GOING TO BE DETERMINED BY OUR ABILITY TO IMPROVE OUR RUNNING GAME. ANd if that means Leon plays, Mangini better act.
    +1 Agreed. Maybe Chapman starts getting more carries. Once late November comes with the winds at Giants Stadium we won't be able to rely on Farves arm. Although Jones had a good game this past week I'm still not sold on him having those big explosive games we need from our running backs in the bad weather.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Pass defense. It's dreadful.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Totally agree. I'm a big proponent of running the ball to win football games. Hopefully the line starts clearing more holes and the runningbacks start breaking some longer runs soon. I don't think we've had a run longer than 20 yards this season, which is pitiful.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    You know how to read?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Agreed 100%.

The Jets have looked good against Fitzpatrick, decen against Cassell, average against Pennington and bad against Warner and Rivers. If the other team has a good QB, we've lost the game every time this year.

Once the winds start swirling our defense will be sick, just wait and see, I've been saying it all along, this team will be special.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Once our Safeties and LB's learn how to cover our defense will be sick, just wait and see, I've been saying it all along, this team will be special.
    fixed

Hall Of Fame
    You know how to read?
    Yes, Yes I do.

All Pro

-The run D is among the best this year.
    -Our passing game is not a problem in the least.
    -OUr special teams is great.
    -When Nugent comes back, we are solid from inside the 45 on field goals, I dont care what anyone says, LOOK AT THE STATS.
    -our pass coverage-not the greatest right now, but I can see it gelling, not only that when it starts to get cold and windy, it will be less of a factor.

He got a few carries, and ran for 7 yards on 5 carries. I don't think Leon is more than a change-of-pace back

Banned
    The running game is what it is - which is not bad, not really good either. The ground stats will be excellent the next two weeks against the Raiders and Chiefs and should come back to earth once we face Buffalo. If the Jets make the playoffs they're winning with the passing game, not the running game.

It's my biggest concern for the team. Ideally, you want to dictate a game by shoving the rock down your opponent's throats. Shed their defense. Having Favre work his passing magic, by feeding off the running game, will make it more potent.

The run blocking is still a work in progress. This is not the Giants OL that has been together, under the same OL coach for years. Two new starters added, plus all five are going back to school together, with new coach Calahan, and his intricate run bloccking schemes. IMO, it will take more then five real games to get it right.

The more effective our run games becomes, the more potent Favre and the offense will be.

Hall Of Fame
    Our run blocking is not the problem. It's that our starting RB is pretty well below average, can't get tough yards, can't make something out of nothing most often and has zero big play ability. If the Jets do not improve the run game alot teams will not respect it at all and that will begin to hurt our passing game sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Our run blocking is not the problem. It's that our starting RB is pretty well below average, can't get tough yards, can't make something out of nothing most often and has zero big play ability. If the Jets do not improve the run game alot teams will not respect it at all and that will begin to hurt our passing game sooner or later.
    Agree. There'll be increasing pressure on Favre and the passing game, if the run effectiveness doesn't pick up.

Unfortunately neither Leon or Chatman have ever come close to being a feature back. Probably because his ST importance in both the KO-PR games have increased since his first year, Leon's carries seems to be diminishing significantly; 151 in "06 to 71 in '07 to just 21 thru 5 games, with a 3.3 avg this year.

Chatman had a decent year with the Phins in '07, with 128 carries averaging 4.0; and looked good in the preseason. He's our best chance to get an increased load of carries this year. But will he be an effective change of pace or explosive runner?

Overall...looks like running back by committee. With not much alternatives.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 10-14-2008 at 11:08 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The running game is what it is - which is not bad, not really good either. The ground stats will be excellent the next two weeks against the Raiders and Chiefs and should come back to earth once we face Buffalo. If the Jets make the playoffs they're winning with the passing game, not the running game.
    agreed. regardless of all the millions we spent on upgrading the OL, opening gaping holes has not been a staple. i hope we see marked improvement as the season goes on but i can't say i'm counting on it. jelling aside, a OL can push the guy in front of him around..or not..

JMO