Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Cannizzaro: Time For Jets To Give Jones The Ball

Mark Cannizzaro: Time For Jets To Give Jones The Ball

Time For Jets To Give Jones The Ball - Mark Cannizzaro - NY Post
    Posted: 3:17 am
    October 15, 2008

MEMO to Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer: Feed Thomas Jones the ball.

Jones is hungry for more carries, though he'll never say that publicly, and he's the type of running back who gets better with more carries. The more carries Jones gets the better rhythm he gets into and the more his punishing running style wears down opposing defenses.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to his career-high three-touchdown game in the Jets' win over the Bengals on Sunday. This is a problem that has been brewing for a while and it's more a product of the variety of choices Schottenheimer has to dial up as he calls plays each week.

In fairness, he has a lot from which to choose and he's constantly trying to find the right combinations.

For example, Leon Washington, one of the Jets' few game-breakers, needs to get his touches, otherwise the chance he might break one for a touchdown is wasted.

The Jets have some strong receivers who can make big plays, such as Jerricho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles. They, too, like to get receiver Brad Smith, another potential game-breaker, into the mix.

And they have to let Brett be Brett, so Brett Favre needs to be able to air it out, otherwise they're wasting a Hall of Fame quarterback with a rocket arm.

Where has that left Jones, the Jets' feature back? Lost in space at times.

The Jets had a good opportunity to pound the Bengals' defense, which entered the game ranked 29th in the league in stopping the run, into submission Sunday.

Instead, they opted for a lot of misdirection plays and other trickery to take advantage of the aggressively pursuing Cincinnati defensive backs. It worked to a degree - mostly thanks to some terrific yards-after-catch by Cotchery.

The Jets find themselves in a bit of a quandary in that they geared so much of their offseason plans toward building a better offensive line to become a more smash-mouth running team with Jones the star of the show.

Then Favre fell into the Jets' lap in the middle of training camp and sent the entire program into a major reprogramming.

That has left the running game a bit in no-man's land, which is not where the Jets want to be when the weather turns nasty in a month or so.

The Jets enter Sunday's game at the 1-4 Raiders ranked 27th in the NFL in rushing offense, averaging only 86.4 yards per game. The Jets would like to break out the running game, and Sunday against a Raiders team that ranks 19th in run defense might be a good time.

"We've definitely been working on it, trying to figure out what we do best and get into those plays quicker," left guard Alan Faneca, one of the key offseason additions, said. "It's definitely there; we just need to cultivate it a little bit."

Jones ran for 183 yards in the first two games this season and has run for 136 in the last three. He has looked more explosive and energetic than he did last year, when he managed only one rushing touchdown in 310 attempts. In particular, Jones made some terrific cut-back moves against the Bengals.

"We just have to continue sawing wood," fullback Tony Richardson said.

To do that, the Jets need to find a better balance and get some rhythm to their running game.
    "Offensively, we haven't put together a great offensive game running the ball and passing the ball," right guard Brandon Moore said. "Of course, we want to run the ball and be better at it and the more attempts we have at it we'll get better at it."

All League
    i think most of us realize Jones is not the back we thought he was going to be. He looks big fast and powerful but NEVER breaks the big run because he goes down after the first hit. He has zero leg drive....zero.

Hall Of Fame
    Terrible article.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Terrible article.
    You have to agree we NEED a running game. This offensive line has to get consistent with its run blocking.Why wait until we have to run the ball. With all the talent on our O-line we should be able to beat up teams like the bengals and raiders...there should be no trick plays against teams like that we should be able to beat them smash mouth style..Anyway I have to agree with Mark we have to get the running game going..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Terrible article.
    Why is it a terrible article because you say so?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    i think most of us realize Jones is not the back we thought he was going to be. He looks big fast and powerful but NEVER breaks the big run because he goes down after the first hit. He has zero leg drive....zero.
    actually he is EXACTLY the running back I thought he was going to be. That is exactly what the knock on him has always been, that he goes down after the first hit and never breaks the big run.

Veteran
    Jones has had lanes all season, he just has poor vision and goes down on first contact, you can't blame Mangini for favouring the pass.

Veteran
    We need to establish a running game

We need to take the handcuffs off Favre and let him throw downfield

We need to get the tight ends involved

We need to get the ball to Leon more.

Jones needs more carries

Sometimes you just can't win.......stick with the gameplan!!!

Veteran
    i agree.

But....Cannizzaro better not have been one of those guys trashing the jets for not throwing it during the new england game.

All League
    Has Thomas Jones not gotten enough carries in the last 2 years? I don't understand this article. The guy cannot break a run for more than 8 yards, and you want to give him more carries?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245 View Post
    Has Thomas Jones not gotten enough carries in the last 2 years? I don't understand this article. The guy cannot break a run for more than 8 yards, and you want to give him more carries?

You can't abandon the run dude. It's crucial to winning games, especially as the weather changes towards the 2nd half of the season. Keeps your defense fresh on the sideline, and keeps oppsoing defenses on the field where they'll get wore down as the game goes on.

I definitely wish that Jones had more expolsiveness, but you play the hand your dealt. Leon's a change of pace guy, Jones is clearly the better all around runningback.

And I've heard countless times from runningbacks around the league that they need 20+ carries to get into a rythym. I'm not saying our game plans should be to give Jones the rock every down, but he's crucial to our season and he does need to get the ball more consistently.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You can't abandon the run dude. It's crucial to winning games, especially as the weather changes towards the 2nd half of the season. Keeps your defense fresh on the sideline, and keeps oppsoing defenses on the field where they'll get wore down as the game goes on.

I definitely wish that Jones had more expolsiveness, but you play the hand your dealt. Leon's a change of pace guy, Jones is clearly the better all around runningback.

And I've heard countless times from runningbacks around the league that they need 20+ carries to get into a rythym. I'm not saying our game plans should be to give Jones the rock every down, but he's crucial to our season and he does need to get the ball more consistently.
    Good post, Buzz and on the money.

Chatman can get more involved as well.

All Pro
    Jones is a decent RB and he's what we have this year..So what if he's not a home run threat..We don't need him to be..We need to run the ball consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLyle IZ GOD View Post
    We need to establish a running game

We need to take the handcuffs off Favre and let him throw downfield

We need to get the tight ends involved

We need to get the ball to Leon more.

Jones needs more carries

Sometimes you just can't win.......stick with the gameplan!!!
    Really! We do one thing well and neglect something else--that's called opportunity cost. We're winning, that's what matters.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengini View Post
    They have to let Brett be Brett, so Brett Favre needs to be able to air it out, otherwise they're wasting a Hall of Fame quarterback with a rocket arm.

The Jets need to find a better balance and get some rhythm to their running game.

Gee, I'm not 2 sure here but isn't this just a bit contradictory? What ever would we do without expert sports analysis & insights like this? Honestly I am not trying 2 pick on Cannizzaro but articles like this ALMOST make Cimini look like a real journalist.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Honestly I am not trying 2 pick on Cannizzaro but articles like this ALMOST make Cimini look like a real journalist.
    I don't think one is any better than the other Sue.

They both have there own alterior motives it seems.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    I don't think one is any better than the other Sue. They both have there own alterior motives it seems.

Well it seems that ole Mark has gotten kicked 2 the back of the buffet line with writing articles like this. Meanwhile back at the ranch in Florham Park, NJ Cimini is busy blogging & trolling Jet fan websites along with kissing player ass for his material.

What a crazy mixed up world we live in..................

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Well it seems that ole Mark has gotten kicked 2 the back of the buffet line with writing articles like this. Meanwhile back at the ranch in Florham Park, NJ Cimini is busy blogging & trolling Jet fan websites along with kissing player ass for his material.

What a crazy mixed up world we live in..................
    Ain't it grand.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    Ain't it grand.

Sure is when we look back at Cannizzaro's poster boy for "He Can Do No Wrong Dot Com"! LMAO!

Right sentiment... wrong runningback.

The best runningback on the team is Leon Washington.