Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller *Use him*

Banned

Dustin Keller *Use him*

First off, let me just introduce myself to this forum. I am from Indiana and grew up watching Dustin Keller play all the way from high school and now into the NFL. When the Jets moved up into the first round to draft Keller I was a little upset, then I read all of the projections about how he was going to be used in the offense and gradually got excited. Then the Jets got Favre and I thought, wow, DK is actually going to get a chance immediately to push all the doubters aside right away having the ball thrown to him from Brett Favre (usually a TE guy), not to mention great QB. My initial reaction on being upset was the fact that IMO, Keller wouldn't have anyone to throw him the ball for a few years with Pennington at the helm and Kellen the next likely factor. So in my mind, the doubt would be there for the first few years on what Keller was really made of. Now even though I am an avid Colts fan, I have been paying attention to the Jets games just as close with the addition of Dustin Keller. I have been reading the post game forums and in game threads ever since the season started and I am surprised that many of you fans haven't voiced their displeasure on the Jets not utilizing DK the way that they should. They haven't utilized Keller properly in any single game thus far in the season. This kid can make plays and stretch the field on any given down. Not only that, Keller is intelligent and I can assure you he has studied enough to understand the offense, but I have my doubts about the offense including him like it should. Out of every single pass catcher drafted in the NFL, the Jets go the most talented and gifted athlete in that regards. You should be thankful for that, but what you should be irate about is why he isn't being used or for that matter, looked at when he is on the field. This kid can play, and he can certainly make plays happen in the open field. He is more than a 5-15 yard route guy.

As I sit here in my DK jersey in Indiana, I am starting to wonder what he could do in other offenses around the league. And to be honest, I have grown to actually like the Jets, but I fully understand your frustration on everything from the top to bottom, but this, IMO, is a problem that the coaches need to address. They obviously do not know what kind of athlete-football player this kid is. I would love nothing more than to see him get the chance to do what he does best. And that's play football. You moved up in the first round for Keller for a reason, give the kid a chance to show you why. And if the coaching staff and favre decide to call his number more often, heck...maybe even adjust the playbook a little bit you will understand why the Jets made this move. Until then, people like myself are going to continue to ask questions like "what could have been?" I don't want this to happen, the pieces are in the Jets organization to make it happen, they just aren't being used properly.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully the offense can get on track against the Chiefs next week!

Go Jets!

Go Dustin Keller!

All League
    I agree....He has the potential to be an elite TE......why we don't use him more up the seam, or with screens, or really use him at all for the matter is beyond me......just another part of the long list of how our coaches are starting to confirm that they just don't get it

Hall Of Fame
    seriously.

good post.

Veteran
    No doubt in my mind it is the coaching staff calling the plays.

I used to wonder why CHAD did not use the tight ends but now in MIAMI they seem to be an big part of his offense.

Anyway I agree

Practice Squad
    Agreed. I wonder what Mangini would say their [the CS] ineptitude is a function of?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DK81Fan View Post
    First off, let me just introduce myself to this forum. I am from Indiana and grew up watching Dustin Keller play all the way from high school and now into the NFL. When the Jets moved up into the first round to draft Keller I was a little upset, then I read all of the projections about how he was going to be used in the offense and gradually got excited. Then the Jets got Favre and I thought, wow, DK is actually going to get a chance immediately to push all the doubters aside right away having the ball thrown to him from Brett Favre (usually a TE guy), not to mention great QB. My initial reaction on being upset was the fact that IMO, Keller wouldn't have anyone to throw him the ball for a few years with Pennington at the helm and Kellen the next likely factor. So in my mind, the doubt would be there for the first few years on what Keller was really made of. Now even though I am an avid Colts fan, I have been paying attention to the Jets games just as close with the addition of Dustin Keller. I have been reading the post game forums and in game threads ever since the season started and I am surprised that many of you fans haven't voiced their displeasure on the Jets not utilizing DK the way that they should. They haven't utilized Keller properly in any single game thus far in the season. This kid can make plays and stretch the field on any given down. Not only that, Keller is intelligent and I can assure you he has studied enough to understand the offense, but I have my doubts about the offense including him like it should. Out of every single pass catcher drafted in the NFL, the Jets go the most talented and gifted athlete in that regards. You should be thankful for that, but what you should be irate about is why he isn't being used or for that matter, looked at when he is on the field. This kid can play, and he can certainly make plays happen in the open field. He is more than a 5-15 yard route guy.

As I sit here in my DK jersey in Indiana, I am starting to wonder what he could do in other offenses around the league. And to be honest, I have grown to actually like the Jets, but I fully understand your frustration on everything from the top to bottom, but this, IMO, is a problem that the coaches need to address. They obviously do not know what kind of athlete-football player this kid is. I would love nothing more than to see him get the chance to do what he does best. And that's play football. You moved up in the first round for Keller for a reason, give the kid a chance to show you why. And if the coaching staff and favre decide to call his number more often, heck...maybe even adjust the playbook a little bit you will understand why the Jets made this move. Until then, people like myself are going to continue to ask questions like "what could have been?" I don't want this to happen, the pieces are in the Jets organization to make it happen, they just aren't being used properly.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully the offense can get on track against the Chiefs next week!

Go Jets!

Go Dustin Keller!
    Welcome to the board.

Excellent post and I completely agree.

Obviously, the Jets need to make some changes on the offensive side of the ball and Keller is one of them. It's not too late to give him some meaningful playing time. We still have most of the season to go.

Charter JI Member
    Keller would add a dimension to this offense that not many teams have, I've been waiting for his breakout all season. What are we waiting for?

welcome aboard good post

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Welcome aboard, when are you leaving?

Lol

Great post.

I think we Coach "scared" and our biggest "risk" has been to allow Brett to make ill-advised throws without consequence. We bought into the whole "Brett being Brett" package so we are stuck with it.

I thought we used Baker to great effect until he fell down yesterday, so a dude like Keller would have definitely made an impact.

Banned
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

After spending the majority of my time participating in a variety of sports forums, this site-fans definitely tops them all. The Colts among other forums I have participated in aren't even close to being as active, genuine and insightful about the games and future of an organization as the Jets. Following the Jets and this forum has really made me appreciate the kinds of qualities every genuine fan of their respectful team should possess. Through thick and thin, it's point blank clear that the Jets fans are as quality as it gets in this league.

I know there was a lot of skepticism and red flags being thrown when Keller was drafted, and rightfully so. Up until the combine, not many people outside of the big ten knew too much about Keller. I think that the Jets, among other teams took notice and really thought that this kid could make an immediate impact for not only the present, but well into the future. For one way or another he isn't even being granted the opportunity to prove that. This is a kid that absolutely loves to prove his critics wrong. And I can assure you that when the coaching staff opens up the play book and calls his number he will do just that. If I know Dustin Keller, he is going to make the most out of every little opportunity (if he's given one) to show you that he is going to be a reliable option in this offense. There are definitely some flaws in the offense that need to be worked out. I think that next weeks game is going to be good for the team to try new schemes for the remaining schedule. Obviously they shouldn't have a problem with the run game (next week), but once this is established...I would love to see them throw out some different packages and try some different plays that require looking at more than 2 receivers. It is rather interesting to see Pennington-Fasono hooking up more than Favre-Keller. It seems like their personalities may have switched in regards to throwing the ball to the TE, but hopefully this will change as I think Keller should be one of the most important keys to what this offense is trying to accomplish putting together a nice drive.

I can't wait for the day this offense is clicking on all cylinders. I really think it's only a matter of time, but it starts at the top and the hopefully the coaches are watching enough film to see what needs to be fixed...and what needs to be done. Heck, if they sign on JI a few times a week, they might actually be able to fix all of their problems. Well, most of them There are certainly some intelligent posters on here.

Next week should be interesting. I am looking forward to it.

Banned
    HOLY CRAP!
    Do you always write so much?
    God-Damn!

All Pro
    I thinking about starting a thread after yesterdays game that the Jets need a TE on their team w/some size 6'4+ who can Block and Catch. I think Keller is kind of small at 6'2 258. The Jets need a TE who is 6'4 or 6'5+ 260+ lbs. that can do it all... desperitly

Welcome DK, and I agree with you.

Just said in another thread, that Keller should be utilized more because he can be very difficult for a defense to cover. There's still more then half a season left, and hopefully he really starts to get featured in the passing game. Defenses assume if you can shut down Coles and Cotchery, then the passing game will be ineffective.

IMO, Schotty-Mangini should give guys like Dustin Keller and Brad Smith more opportunities to make plays, which I think they're capable of doing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    I thinking about starting a thread after yesterdays game that the Jets need a TE on their team w/some size 6'4+ who can Block and Catch. I think Keller is kind of small at 6'2 258. The Jets need a TE who is 6'4 or 6'5+ 260+ lbs. that can do it all... desperitly

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Blinka View Post
    No doubt in my mind it is the coaching staff calling the plays.

I used to wonder why CHAD did not use the tight ends but now in MIAMI they seem to be an big part of his offense.

Anyway I agree
    It's because Dan Henning knows how to cook with the beef Parcells provides him with. Hmmm, mmm...that's good smash-mouth.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DK81Fan View Post

Go Jets!

Go Dustin Keller!
    welcome and it was a nice read. I agree with you too. We draft the guy in rd 1 and have not used him. Heck, baker can catch a bit too and we have not used him in years except for blocking. We are talking about the Jets!

We wanted FAVRE the gunslinger. We got him and are tying his hands by making him into a GAME MANAGER. Why trade for him when we had a game manager?

Coaching counts! Ours is asleep at the wheel! Keller, if used properly, could open up the field for our wideouts. BUT our OC does not see it that way.

These are the Jets we are talking about!

Put a real HC in charge of the Jets v RAIDERS and we win this past SUNDAY. TUNA with the amount of talent we have would be undefeated at this point! Belichick would be too. Ditto COWERT and the real SCHOTTENHEIMER.

All League
    This is what happens when you have so called " WEAPONS" and a coaching staff STILL in training. While are owner Daniel Snyd..errrr..... ..sorry Woody Johnson watches from Donald Trump's Penthouse.

All Pro
    Thankshe Graet Post DK81Fan!!!!!! Unfortunately your post reveals just how putrid the Jets coaching staff has been. From Defense that has been non agressive twice against essentially rookie QBs, to special teams play that has been subpar, to an OL that at times has been awful, to inexplicable offensive game calls.... The rot in this case starts with the HC plain and simple........ If we were willing to blame Herm then we have to blame Mangini, period...

Keller had a nice TD grab against the Cardinals but since then Shotty has been calling nothing but WR screens, RB screens, and the very occasional deep ball which has usually been well covered. Keller may not be getting enough separation when he is in, and if I was an OC I would get Keller running more short crossing routes, get him the ball, and see what he can do in the open field.

Rookie
    Keller is the most athletic TE we have on our roster, yet we open up against the Raiders throwing consecutive passes to Baker. It apparently was part of the game plan to get Baker more involved.

When he tripped over his feet during what would have been the game winning drive I'd had seen enough.

Keller needs to become the primary TE target immediately. Baker needs to come in only to spell Keller and block, while Bubba, whos better days are disappearing in the rear view mirror, should be used primarily to block.

We have seen flashes of excellence from Keller but he will need the reps to get in sync with Farve. He just needs more playing time to get into the flow of the game.. Rotating TE's in and out is just placing "cold hands" on the field each time and not developing Keller.

AZ

All League
    welcome DK

def agree with you on 81

maybe he gets a breakout game against KC