Thread: Mangini pressed on injury reporting habits- PFT

Hall Of Fame

Mangini pressed on injury reporting habits- PFT

MANGINI GETS PRESSED ON INJURY REPORTING HABITS
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2008, 10:06 p.m. EDT
    As legend has it, Jets coach Eric Mangini refuses to acknowledge hamstring injuries. So when a player has a hamstring injury, it’s described generally as “leg” — which is only a half-click above simply referring to the injury as “body.”

Mangini has been using the “leg” label on kicker Mike Nugent, who has yet to play this season.

And so, on Friday, Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential opted to press Mangini, and Jets P.R. guy Bruce Speight opted to try to make a cameo appearance once the softballs turned into splitters. (We know a little bit about baseball, unfortunately.)

And it went a little something like this . . . hit it:

Leberfeld: “What exactly is wrong with Mike Nugent? What’s the specific injury?”

Mangini: “He’s got a leg injury.”

Leberfeld: “But specifically, what is it?”

Mangini: “You know, I don’t talk about the specifics of injuries, and I think you know that.”

Leberfeld: “Is it a hamstring?”

Mangini: “It’s a leg injury.”

Leberfeld: “Because most teams in the league will mention a hamstring. Why are you against that?”

Mangini: “You know, I think we’ve discussed this quite a bit, but it’s something that I believe in philosophically, and I hope you can respect that.”

Leberfeld: “Because even New England lists hamstrings, and I know you have a background there. You might be the only team in the league that doesn’t list hamstrings. Why philosophically do you go down that road?”

Mangini: “It’s something that I believe in and something that we’ve consistently done, and I don’t anticipate changing any time in the near future.”

Leberfeld: “What about toe related to foot? Like [defensive end Calvin] Pace says he hurt his toe. Can you verify that?”

Mangini: “I can verify what I put on the injury [report].”

Leberfeld: “Once again, why can’t you say ‘toe’? What’s the philosophical reason for that?”

Speight: “Dan — Dan — Dan.”

Leberfeld: “No, Bruce, you don’t dictate the question. What can’t you say ‘toe’?”

Mangini: “Dan, were two-and-a-half years into this process.”

Leberfeld: “No, but it doesn’t mean it’s right. I mean, I read injury reports around the league and they list these things.”

Speight: “Dan.”

Mangini: “I appreciate your opinion, Dan.”

Leberfeld: “Yes, but you can’t tell me what to ask, Bruce.”

Speight: “I’m not, I’m not.”

Leberfeld: “You’re interrupting my question.”

Speight: “I am. You’re right.”

Leberfeld: “All right. I won’t ask — what can I ask, Bruce? Give me a head’s up.”

Making the exchange even more interesting is that, in the transcript of the press conference circulated by the team, here’s the only reference to the exchange:

On K Mike Nugent’s injury…

He has a leg injury.

On what specifically is Nugent’s injury…

I don’t talk about the specifics of injuries.

Amazingly (and, frankly, impressively), the Jets didn’t splice the awkward moments between Mangini, Leberfeld, and Speight out of the video of the press conference that is posted on the team’s official web site. The fun starts at roughly 6:15 of the clip.

Hall Of Fame
    The little 'no talking about injuries' was cute for awhile, but it has worn off its welcome.

Hey Eric, how about you focus on the philosophy of winning as opposed to being like the Pats?

Waterboy
    It sounds like he's only doing what every other coach in the league does.

Banned
    Eric is retarded when it comes to injuries... he seems to spend more time coming up with strategies for how NOT to say things during press conferences than he does for NOT losing games.

Seriously, what is the strategic purpose of saying "leg" for your kickers injury versus "toe" or "calf" or "ankle" all of those terms are just as ambiguous, and being ambiguous isn't helping the team in ANY way - so why bother? Oh, because KC might be forced to game plan for both Nugent and Feely? Right.
    Last edited by Dr. Zaius; 10-25-2008 at 11:15 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28 View Post
    Eric is retarded when it comes to injuries... he seems to spend more time coming up with strategies for how NOT to say things during press conferences than he does for NOT losing games.

Seriously, what is the strategic purpose of saying "leg" for your kickers injury versus "toe" or "calf" or "ankle" all of those terms are just as ambiguous, and being ambiguous isn't helping the team in ANY way - so why bother? Oh, because KC might be forced to game plan for both Nugent and Feely? Right.
    I could not agree more. Really, Nugent has a hamstring injury or an ankle injury. Do you expect other teams to target his ankle more, or his hammy, or his quad.

It gets to the point where it's more of a distraction than anything else.

It's not a distraction at all... The whole distraction thing is bull anyway. Good teams win and bad teams lose. Not because of some stupid stuff going on outside of the games.

Secondly, wouldn't you assume for a second that Mangini is actually pretty smart and would have valid reasoning behind not mentioning the injuries? It's not a big deal and I really have no idea why Leberfeld consistently cries about it. Sounds like a little baby.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's not a distraction at all... The whole distraction thing is bull anyway. Good teams win and bad teams lose. Not because of some stupid stuff going on outside of the games.

Secondly, wouldn't you assume for a second that Mangini is actually pretty smart and would have valid reasoning behind not mentioning the injuries? It's not a big deal and I really have no idea why Leberfeld consistently cries about it. Sounds like a little baby.
    No.

Hall Of Fame
    Mangini is a joke in every way possible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

F the media. Mangini has no obligation to give them any information other than what's listed on the report. Especially a tool like Leberfeld.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    The little 'no talking about injuries' was cute for awhile, but it has worn off its welcome.

Hey Eric, how about you focus on the philosophy of winning as opposed to being like the Pats?
    That is so true and it certainly doesn't help them during games.