Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gholsten - not getting ST rights either.

All League

Thumbs up Gholsten - not getting ST rights either.

During the 1st kickoff after the scored on the opening drive, VG got ripped into by Westhoff on the sidelines..Apparently he either missed his assignment or had the wrong technique. Either way, from where I sat, which was pretty damn close you could see Westhoff was really pissed. VG took the yelling, and seemed to nod in response. I think that must have pissed Westhoff off even more, because for 2 minutes straigt, Westhoff kept ripping him.

I'm not sure if he got into the game at all, but I know when Harris went down, he didnt budge at all. I know the official stats aren't out yet, but I dont think he recorded one tackle or assist IF he did get out there.

To claim VG as a bust is an reach at this point. But there will be 4 big stories with the Jets next offseason, and VG will be one of the most talked about amongst these;

1) Will Farve come back? I think it will take a playoff run for him to think we would have a chance against anyone.
    2) RB, TJ lacks the speed to beat a offense. He's a solid backup, but at his age 31 and skill set he is no longer a starting RB who will pose a threat against anyone. Which is why they coveted McFadden last year.
    3) HC's and GM's are fired around the league for missing on top 5 draft choices. VG wasn't a top 5, he was #6. But VG didnt play well during the pre-season, and he has yet to record not only a sack but any decent pass rush. He hasnt gotten in on any meaningful plays on defense. I think he might have played during the blowout vs. the Cardinals - but 6 tackles in 7 games is really bad for a top 6 pick. I think Mangini's position is secure next year, but it's clear to me that we should have hired someone with a bit more experience. Were not doing any better in the 3-4 than if we stayed in the 4-3 and had gotten someone to play along side D-Brick. He was steadfast in his committment to the 3-4 and the defense this year should be a top 10 - but if we cant shut down a teams 3rd QB without it's blue chip RB, then something is amiss.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    During the 1st kickoff after the scored on the opening drive, VG got ripped into by Westhoff on the sidelines..Apparently he either missed his assignment or had the wrong technique. Either way, from where I sat, which was pretty damn close you could see Westhoff was really pissed. VG took the yelling, and seemed to nod in response. I think that must have pissed Westhoff off even more, because for 2 minutes straigt, Westhoff kept ripping him.

Tattletale, lol! And Westhoff is famous for his player rants & throwing his cane when he is really pissed off. Did U happen 2 notice any cuts or dents in Vernon's forehead?

It's sad when you can't laugh at Herm for drafting another bust DT in the top 5 since as of right now your own coaching staff did even worse with the Gholston pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Gholstons heart and attitude were BIG issues at Ohio State. Apparantly for good reason!!!

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    He's a project. Look for Gholston to start coming along in the 2010 season. So what he got a 30 million dollar contract with huge guaranteed cash.

Give him a break. He was supposed to be a project. He was taken #6 overall.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    He's a project. Look for Gholston to start coming along in the 2010 season. So what he got a 30 million dollar contract with huge guaranteed cash.

Why... is the league going to allow sterioid use next season???

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post

Good find Hess. So can we still get Long & give Gholston back? Ham called it on the head with the Tanny/Parcells line of thinking 2, nice.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

Im totally sick and tired of all this bullsh!t project talk. This guy didnt become a damn project until we picked him. Go back and read the threads of some of the Ghost's supporters on this site alone. They were convinced this guy was some sort of beast because he had 14 sacks vs inferior opponents and talent and one sack vs Long who was a high rated Tackle. The fact is Ghoston SUCKS he is NOT a good Football player, hell hes not even a decent football player. Hes horrible and one thing im 100% positive of is this guy will NEVER amount to anything in the NFL and you can quote me on that.

Hall Of Fame
    I know its been discussed here a few times but they really do need a rookie pay scale similar to what the NBA instituted a few years back..

Giving these rooks who haven't done a thing at the pro level $20M+ guaranteed is ridiculous!!!!

When these guys bust it kills the teams cap for years...

BTW--I'm not saying Vernon is a bust. Let's give him until 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Good find Hess. So can we still get Long & give Gholston back? Ham called it on the head with the Tanny/Parcells line of thinking 2, nice.
    Just one of many threads that showed a lot of posters never really liking Gholston pre-draft. I believe the board was probably split about 60/40 against him...again pre-draft.

Most of that 60% decided to do the right thing and just learn to like the pick and look at the upside to him. I'm still waiting patiently and will probably give him another year maybe even two before teeing-off, however hard it is to bite my lip.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Sadly I suspect you may be right

Any way you spin it, this is a bad sign when the #6 overall pick cannot even get on the field on defense, not even as a primary backup, as if he's such a liability they cannot even risk grooming him in a game that matters

I hope it's that he doesn't care and has an epiphany, that beats the alternative .. Just not good enough
    You know what makes me sick Green ? Not the fact he cant get on the field, but when Ive watched this guy on tivo from the pre season up to this point he looks absolutely horrid. Im sure you can teach a "football Player' to improve but Im not sure you can teach a guy who wont even get down and dirty and get involved in tackles to be a "football Player". Vernon Gholston is simply not a football player he seems afraid to put his body in harms way and hes way to tenative. He has to get mean and crazy and he needs to do it fast or hes done, he will not make the cuts next pre season roster spots are too valuable in todays NFL. Unless of course your the NY jets and have 90 WR's 2 Kickers and 4 QB's

I wish we would have traded down and picked up a running back and a wr in the 3rd round. Lots of good RB's in last year's draft. The kid who's running for houston or felix jones would have been cool for sure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    I wish we would have traded down and picked up a running back and a wr in the 3rd round. Lots of good RB's in last year's draft. The kid who's running for houston or felix jones would have been cool for sure.
    Yeah just another stupid move in the Mangini/Tanny regime. Amazing to me a team with 3 pash rushing LB's 2 of whom we just signed to huge contracts goes and and picks the "so called" Project in Gholston and pays him millions as well. Now look how much money it tied up in 3 players of which only 2 can play at once.

New Name "Teh Ghost Project" 08

The things this coaching staff is doing defies logic.

4 QB's

6 WR's (now 5 I believe because we had to make room for 2 kickers) LOL if a kickers is going to miss more than 4 games and you have a viable replacement which feely is, nugent should have been put in IR not taking up a roster spot.

What the above numbers tell me is we are dangerously low on depth at other positions namely O-Line. If we have one injury on the line this team is DONE for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    Yeah just another stupid move in the Mangini/Tanny regime. Amazing to me a team with 3 pash rushing LB's 2 of whom we just signed to huge contracts goes and and picks the "so called" Project in Gholston and pays him millions as well. Now look how much money it tied up in 3 players of which only 2 can play at once.

New Name "Teh Ghost Project" 08

The things this coaching staff is doing defies logic.

4 QB's

6 WR's (now 5 I believe because we had to make room for 2 kickers) LOL if a kickers is going to miss more than 4 games and you have a viable replacement which feely is, nugent should have been put in IR not taking up a roster spot.

What the above numbers tell me is we are dangerously low on depth at other positions namely O-Line. If we have one injury on the line this team is DONE for the season.
    This regime has made a lot of great moves. It's just not translating to the field right now due to poor coaching.

Banned
    Im totally sick and tired of all this bullsh!t project talk. This guy didnt become a damn project until we picked him. Go back and read the threads of some of the Ghost's supporters on this site alone. They were convinced this guy was some sort of beast because he had 14 sacks vs inferior opponents and talent and one sack vs Long who was a high rated Tackle. The fact is Ghoston SUCKS he is NOT a good Football player, hell hes not even a decent football player. Hes horrible and one thing im 100% positive of is this guy will NEVER amount to anything in the NFL and you can quote me on that.
    this may be true this and next year..but what about year three and beyond?..

Hall Of Fame
    Agreed.....Even the people who thought he might not be a dominant player right away..thought he would at least be able to rush the passer and play in a more situational role. Then would work into being an everydown player. But he has not shown anything. No situational pass rush...hell he is even screwing up on special teams.

I agree it is early...but he has shown zero and is much closer to being a bust than he is of being a solid pro. Being a project is fine...but when you take one at #6...he really should show something by now. I would be concerned if we took him in the 3rd round and he was playing like this.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed.....Even the people who thought he might not be a dominant player right away..thought he would at least be able to rush the passer and play in a more situational role. Then would work into being an everydown player. But he has not shown anything. No situational pass rush...hell he is even screwing up on special teams.

I agree it is early...but he has shown zero and is much closer to being a bust than he is of being a solid pro. Being a project is fine...but when you take one at #6...he really should show something by now. I would be concerned if we took him in the 3rd round and he was playing like this.
    Im sure at some point he was told in the pre season to not worry about anything else and just rush the passer. As a matter of fact I saw a few plays where he did just that and he stopped. The guy engages the tackle and completely stops as if to say, Im blocked oh well. He has no motor and really what I think the guy needs if for someone to toughen him up a bit get him diving at people something needs to be done. I mean if he cant even excell vs the non roster players in preseason how will he possibly excell vs NFL talent ? I have not seen one single good play from this guy that made me say wow hes got some talent. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick he would be cut at the end of next years pre season. I wonder if the jets coaches concede that this kid simply does not have what it takes will they have the balls to simply cut him and open up a valuable roster spot.

There is no sugar coating this situation. VG is most defiantely a BUST!

I agree with an earlier poster, he will never amount to anything in the NFL. I am so sick of Ohio State and their overrated teams and players. Every year it's the same ole crap with OSU. Everybody around here was sucking Mangold's c*** after his rookie year and personally i think he's solid but will never be a pro bowler. But this post isn't about him anyway. Ohio State BLOWS! Stay away from their players on draft day. OVERATED!

Undrafted Free Agent
    From what I saw on Sunday, he looked tentative on a kick off return and got turned outside by the blocker near the sideline as the ball carrier gained another 15 yards inside of that block. Showed good hustle being the first man down, but did not blow the play up at all, and if he stays inside, all the ball carrier could do was run out of bounds.

I don't see a lot of fire in his play. Like someone else had noted, he is always standing up near the tackle and never throws his body into the play.

Didn't see much from BryanThomas his first year, he rarely disengaged the OT when pass rushing. Hoping that 56 figures it out soon.

I'll give him a season, can't be easy to make the jump to the NFL and go from DE to OLB. And be thankful we really DON'T need him this year with the way Pace and Thomas are playing.....