Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nugent And Harris Thursday Update

Nugent And Harris Thursday Update

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Harris back on his feet after, well, you know...
    November 6, 2008

There was a David Harris sighting today in "The Park." The inside linebacker was spotted walking with trainer John Mellody in a hallway at the Jets' facility. He was moving pretty well for a guy who just had groin surgery - it pains me just to type that - but, of course, taking a midday stroll is a lot different than playing in a game. As I reported yesterday, Harris is expected to miss 2-3 weeks.

Eric Mangini refused to confirm that Harris underwent surgery. Weird business, the NFL. It reminded me of an Erik Coleman situation from a couple of years ago. Several outlets reported that he was out after having an appendectomy, but Mangini wouldn't confirm it, calling it an "illness." Whatever. All I know is, the Jets won't have the best inside linebacker for at least three games - Rams, at Patriots, at Titans.

David Bowens is an adequate replacement, especially in the running game, but he could be exploited in the passing game. Covering in space isn't his forte. You can bet the Patriots, who like to throw to their backs, will go after him.

Anyway, other news and notes:

• Mangini said "there's a possibility" that PK Mike Nugent will be ready for Sunday's game against the Rams. For the first time since his opening-day thigh injury, Nugent is practicing in team drills. Mangini disclosed that Nugent had been kicking on the side for a couple of weeks. I tend to doubt that Nugent will get the nod on Sunday - why rush it? - but I suspect there's a good chance he could face the Patriots next Thursday. Jay Feely is doing a decent job in Nugent's spot, having made 12 of 16 FG attempts. Feely was 4-for-5 last week, although he has missed two inside the 40 in the last two games.

• Being a Syracuse grad, I don't get many chances to gloat about our football team, so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to tweak Kerry Rhodes today in the locker room. The Orange upset Louisville, Rhodes' alma mater, last weekend in the Carrier Dome, the second straight year Syracuse has upset the Cardinals. Another Syracuse man, Greg Bishop of the NY Times, also got to Rhodes, piling on. Rhodes took it well.

• The team practiced in the rain today. The spectacular, cavernous indoor field house remained empty.

• The Rams (2-6) pretty much stink, as we all know, but their big-play ability is causing concern for the Jets. The Rams have generated eight plays of 40-plus yards on offense.

• Mangini managed to keep a straight face when he was asked if he's concerned about TE Joe Klopfenstein. That question came from Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential. Actually, it wasn't so farfetched. The Jets have been struggling against no-name tight ends. Last week, they let Derek Fine roll out a blanket and have a picnic in the end zone.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

1050ESPN Radio is reporting that Harris had surgery and is out 2-3 weeks.

Hall Of Fame
    I would prefer Nugent never takes a kick for us again. Feely has been spotty, but I still trust him more than Nugent. Nugent isn't mentally strong enough to make big kicks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    I would prefer Nugent never takes a kick for us again. Feely has been spotty, but I still trust him more than Nugent. Nugent isn't mentally strong enough to make big kicks.
    Feely has missed a few this year, but he's made some big kicks too - particularly in the 4th quarter.

All Pro
    Good news on Nuge. I still prefer him over Feely.

Mike Nugent is way better than Feely..... Nugent is more consistent and you guys just give him too much crap. Hes actually one of the more accurate kickers in the NFL.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

Nugent closer to returning, Harris, Smith not so much
    Eric Mangini said it is possible Mike Nugent could play this weekend and that he had been kicking for the last couple weeks. As we mentioned, Nugent was listed as “limited” on the injury report yesterday, significant in that in each of the previous weeks he had been listed as “out” by this point in the week.

“He did significantly more than he has done,” Mangni said of Nugent. “It [Wednesday] was the first time that he’s really been involved with the full group. It was encouraging.”

It should be soon, though I don’t think it will be Sunday.

* Bubba Franks again was on the exercise bicycle and Eric Smith wasn’t outside when the media was at practice. It’s almost a certainty Abram Elam will be starting opposite Kerry Rhodes again this Sunday.

* Mr Green T asked about this and I’ll get more into it tomorrow in the Friday Picks, but based on things I’ve heard in the locker room this week, I don’t see any way the Jets overlook the Rams Sunday. Doesn’t mean it will be 40-3, but I don’t foresee the kind of sloppiness that occurred in Oakland or against Kansas City.

* Again, more on this tomorrow, but here’s a stat: the Rams are ranked 30th in the league in four different categories. On offense it’s total yards (263.0), third-down efficiency (29.2 percent) and points (15.6). On defense, they’re 30th in total yards (401.8).

* I think you’ll see Marques Murrell as part of the committee that helps spell David Bowens on the inside this Sunday.

* Did you know…the Jets have outscored the opposition 70-51 in the fourth quarter this season?

“We’re doing a lot of the same things and really emphasizing conditioning,” Mangini said of the Jets’ fourth-quarter success to this point. “It’s something that we continue to emphasize. I really believe that conditioning over the course of the season becomes that much more important. Usually everybody comes out of camp in really good shape and then you go to a three-day-a-week-plus-the-game program, with Friday being a much lighter day, it’s easy to lose some of what you built up in camp. We stress that all the time.”

* I’ll have more on David Clowney in tomorrow’s paper, but I asked Mangini if maybe the Jets are missing something, mainly speed and, presumably, some separation ability, with him still inactive.

“I think he does have very good speed,” Mangini said. “I think that our other receivers have the ability to stretch the field, as well. I don’t think he’s the only one that has that ability. I do appreciate his speed. It is a real strength.”

* Since there were a couple of published reports that David Harris underwent surgery on his groin and will be out 2-3 weeks, you’d think Mangini would at least confirm it.

“I really shared all I was going to share yesterday,” Mangini said. “I always stress that to the boys, sharing is caring, but I’ve reached my quota. I thought that I was very giving (yesterday).”

Mangini said the “sharing is caring” part with a smile, but it’s kind of silly. You have the fact – not challenged by anyone – that Harris has undergone surgery, yet the Jets won’t confirm it.

Since I try to be helpful – I believe in sharing as well – I always like to suggest what could have been said in these verbal contretemps, a trend I started in training camp and, of course, I’m available on retainer for long-term counseling.

“Yes, David did have a procedure, the details I’m really not going to go into. As it says on the injury report, there’s been some issues with the groin and we’re just hoping to get him back as soon as possible and look forward to that because he's done such a good job for us."

Remember: no good rule is absolute.

* Speaking of rules, I’m off Friday but Katie Strang will ably – and I know most of you like her better anyway (understandable) – be filling in for me. But Friday will be huge not just because of K-Strang’s presence. It’s Friday’s Picks Post, which is still without a sponsor for some reason. Wikipedia might work.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsrule128 View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Harris back on his feet after, well, you know...
    What? After stepping on his schnutz??

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Mike Nugent is way better than Feely..... Nugent is more consistent and you guys just give him too much crap. Hes actually one of the more accurate kickers in the NFL.
    +1 Nugent is very accurate. There isn't a kicker out there that never misses.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    +1 Nugent is very accurate. There isn't a kicker out there that never misses.
    When he misses though, they're big. That's why I think it in his head. But if you're up or down by three touchdowns, there's no better kicker than Nuge.

All League
    When he misses though, they're big. That's why I think it in his head. But if you're up or down by three touchdowns, there's no better kicker than Nuge.
    What??!

How can you say that with a straight face when Feely missed a crucial 30 yard field goal against the Bills that would have put us up by 2 scores.

Nugent may not be perfect, but he's WAY BETTER than Feely.

All League
    I can't remember a single "big" kick that nugent has missed. The reason he was drafted in the 2nd round was because of his incredible clutchness.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Good to hear about Nugent, hopefully he's the same when he comes back.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennington10ToMoss83 View Post
    Well, I'd prefer a Rookie of the Year-esque extra 10 yards on his kicks.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennington10ToMoss83 View Post
    Same as what? He had a good year in 06. In 05 and 07 he was 7 of 12 from 40+ yards each year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    What??!

How can you say that with a straight face when Feely missed a crucial 30 yard field goal against the Bills that would have put us up by 2 scores.

Nugent may not be perfect, but he's WAY BETTER than Feely.
    I prefer Nugent, but Feely has hit a couple big kicks. The 52 or 53 yarder in the closing seconds of the Oakland game and the one against Buffalo last week on our final drive. Granted it was only 30 yards, but it was a crucial kick nevertheless. The one you're referring to was right before halftime and while it would have been a great to get those points, it wasn't extremely crucial like the one he hit later in the game. Anyway, like I said, I'm looking forward to getting a healthy Nugent back out there.

All League
    this perception that nugent is bad is silly. everyone seems to link that 2nd round draft pick to him and ignore his performance anything short of 100% means he stinks. the guy is 81.5% accurate for his career. you call that bad? feely has only made 75% of his kicks and he has missed 3 kicks from 30-39 yards this season. that's only 2 less than nugent in his entire career!!!! nugent is a good kicker.

All League
    Exactly Zombo.

Also, Timmy, what big kicks has Nugent missed? Granted he hasn't had many opportunities to make big kicks, but the only big kick moment I remember was against the Dolphins I believe...and he drilled it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Exactly Zombo.

Also, Timmy, what big kicks has Nugent missed? Granted he hasn't had many opportunities to make big kicks, but the only big kick moment I remember was against the Dolphins I believe...and he drilled it.
    I remember in his rookie season of '05 when we went 4-12, he missed a last second 50-52 yarder against the Saints on Sunday Night Football that would have tied or won it. Not really a crucial kick seeing how we were dreadful that season, but that's the only pressure situation kick he's missed that comes to mind. I could be forgetting any others.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I remember in his rookie season of '05 when we went 4-12, he missed a last second 50-52 yarder against the Saints on Sunday Night Football that would have tied or won it. Not really a crucial kick seeing how we were dreadful that season, but that's the only pressure situation kick he's missed that comes to mind. I could be forgetting any others.
    He's made a few OT kicks

I've posted this before, but, look at the numbers:

In the 2nd half of NFL seasons, from inside 50

2005 - 15-16 (93.3%)
    2006 - 19-19 (100%)
    2007 - 18-19 (94.7%)

TOTAL 52-54 (96.3%)

In his last 2 years he is 14/15 in the 4th quarter and 2/2 in OT.