Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Sign Ty Law as per NFL Network (merged)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I am. I especially feel bad for those who own a #24 Revis jersey.
    I'm thinking that's a typo. But regardless, good signing. We're in desperate need of some secondary depth.

All Pro
    Ty Law to visit with Jets

by rich cimini
    daily news sports writer

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 4:00 AM

Ancient CB Ty Law, formerly of the Patriots, Jets and Chiefs, is making a free-agent visit Wednesday with the Jets, according to the NFL Network.

My two-word reaction: Oh, brother.

If the Jets sign Law, whom they released two years ago, it would reek of desperation. The Jets’ offseason already is starting to look that way, but this would be capper. Aside from the fact that he’s old (34) and slow, the once-great Law wouldn’t be a good locker-room guy.

In the 2005, the year it all spiraled out of control under Herm Edwards, Law acted like a prima donna and wasn’t a good influence around the younger players, I’m told. Sure, he knows Eric Mangini (they spent five years together in New England) and, yes, he’s friends with Darrelle Revis (a homey from Aliquippa, Pa.), but take my word for it: This wouldn’t work.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken08 View Post
    Not a bad signing at all.
    He's definitely not what he was, but at the least he gives us depth at the position. He's not a #1 CB anymore, but he's probably a short-term upgrade as the #2 guy.

Not that i'm so down on Lowery, but he could use some time to learn the position.

Practice Squad
    I think the smart play is IR Smith 2 concussions in 3 weeks is not a good thing

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets1028 View Post
    Anyone else a bit bothered by Revis wearing number 22 and Law wearing 24? I mean does Law really need to wear his old number? He should wear any jersey the team gives him.
    isnt chatman #22 anyway?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post

by rich cimini
    daily news sports writer

Ancient CB Ty Law, formerly of the Patriots, Jets and Chiefs, is making a free-agent visit Wednesday with the Jets, according to the NFL Network.

If the Jets sign Law, whom they released two years ago, it would reek of desperation. The Jets’ offseason already is starting to look that way, but this would be capper. Aside from the fact that he’s old (34) and slow, the once-great Law wouldn’t be a good locker-room guy.

In the 2005, the year it all spiraled out of control under Herm Edwards, Law acted like a prima donna and wasn’t a good influence around the younger players, I’m told. Sure, he knows Eric Mangini (they spent five years together in New England) and, yes, he’s friends with Darrelle Revis (a homey from Aliquippa, Pa.), but take my word for it: This wouldn’t work.
    WOW! Did Cimini really put "Homey from Aliquippa, PA"? Revoke this mans credibility on everything. Is he serious?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I would still think that Ty Law would play the Nickel at the most. I think it's a great signing. He's not a bad guy, always had a good attitude and can really help the secondary ideally. Guys in the secondary can really learn from him.
    Exactly. He's not starting at corner or anything. It's a great move to add some veteran experience to the secondary. Law will play in nickle and dime situations.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    isnt chatman #22 anyway?
    He's on IR

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    isnt chatman #22 anyway?

Chatman is on IR I think, so I guess the Jets gave his number away?

Hall Of Fame
    I really don't know what to do with this.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That was my first thought. Shadow Welker. But I agree with the other poster who questioned the timing. I would have rather seen this earlier, preferably the bye week. I'm not sure Law could keep up with the speed game right now.
    if he is a slow as people say he is, this has defensive holding and automatic first downs written all over it

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post

by rich cimini
    daily news sports writer

Well, Cimini got scooped today. Schefter *****-slapped him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Well, Cimini got scooped today. Schefter *****-slapped him.
    Has it ever been the other way around?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jets1028 View Post
    WOW! Did Cimini really put "Homey from Aliquippa, PA"? Revoke this mans credibility on everything. Is he serious?
    One must HAVE credibility before it can be revoked.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, and I hope he can help, but you would have to think he'll be a step behind (at least), and I could envision him being called for some big PI penalties.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I don't mean to be pessimistic, and I hope he can help, but you would have to think he'll be a step behind (at least), and I could envision him being called for some big PI penalties.
    To a degree I do too, but he's always been a Turnover machine.

Banned
    I think that Law is a great addition. If you think about it, every aspect of this team has a sage veteran that has played for a winning franchise deep into the playoffs, except the secondary.

Law is a guy Mangini trusts, a guy that Revis idolizes and a guy that gives the defensive secondary the type of veteran that can keep the young fellas' minds right as the Jets make a push for the playoffs.

I can see Law rotating in at safety and corner, and more importantly being a GREAT mentor to both Lowery and continuing with his already established relationship with Revis.

Bravo Mangini!

Veteran
    Adds some veteran stability to the second corner spot...we'll if he can play..its low risk high reward..

as for the jersey number..i think it is a typo..he was saying that revis is honoring him by wearing his number 24...at least i hope..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I don't buy this idea that Dwight Lowery is not playing well

We Just skunked two very dangerous wideouts in Holt and Avery, and last week we pretty much did likewise to Evans and Parrish, so I'm not buying this idea that Lowery has hit a wall .. he's made some mistakes, yeah, but overall I think he's been very good and I wouldn't be so sure he's being replaced in the starting lineup by Ty Law .. I think Law might replace Elam at Safety when he gets his legs under him, but right now he'll probably play the nickel
    Ham I like Elam at S rather than envisioning Law trying to come up to hit some RB's. Passing situations, possibly.

I dont think Law has anything left in the tank. He was awful with Kansas City. Watching him try to cover any of these guys with any speed could be tough.