Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game will say a lot about Thomas Jones

Hall Of Fame

This game will say a lot about Thomas Jones

His stats are a bit deceiving considering 300 of his yard are against St. Louis and Oakland. We absolutely need him to have a good game. In the first quarter
    of the Oakland game the Raiders were blitzing on every down and hitting Favre hard. They weren't even trying to hide their blitzes. They had everyone at the line without any movement, basically saying 'we're blitzing and we're not even gonna hide it because we don't think there's a damn thing you can do about it'. Jones started running like crazy and that was it for the constant blitzing.

We need the same. We can't put Favre into 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 8 situations.
    If we put Favre in those situations he'll be sacked before he can cock his arm to throw screen passes or dumpoffs. Not to mention the Titans have a scary blitz on his blindside.

Can Jones step up in a game like this?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    His stats are a bit deceiving considering 300 of his yard are against St. Louis and Oakland. We absolutely need him to have a good game. In the first quarter
    of the Oakland game the Raiders were blitzing on every down and hitting Favre hard. They weren't even trying to hide their blitzes. They had everyone at the line without any movement, basically saying 'we're blitzing and we're not even gonna hide it because we don't think there's a damn thing you can do about it'. Jones started running like crazy and that was it for the constant blitzing.

If we put Favre in those situations he'll be sacked before he can cock his arm to throw screen passes or dumpoffs. Not to mention the Titans have a scary blitz on his blindside.

What about the 100 yds and a TD he just had against New England, a team all Pats fans said he wouldn't have any success?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What about the 100 yds and a TD he just had against New England, a team all Pats fans said he wouldn't have any success?
    A solid game, but against a very banged up defense. I suspect this will be much more difficult. If he can consistently pick up 4 yards on first downs we'll be in good shape.

All League
    Im really not looking for Thomas Jones to make a statement Im looking for the offensive line to make a statement.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Jones has a history of playing well in big games, going back to when he was with Chicago the year that they made the SB run. That said, don't expect too much - Tenn has a sick defense and just getting close to 100 would be a nice game.

All Pro
    I think it will say just as much about our O-Line as it will about Jones. He has surprised me this season running extremely hard and not just looking to lay down at the slightest hint of contact. It will be interesting to see how he runs against the Titans (just keep him away from the middle and freakn Haynesworth)!!

Banned
    Would 16 carries for 56 yards be acceptable?

That's about what I think he'll do against Tennessee.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post

He may. But, I think we will have to start with some dump passes and those quick slant play that require minimal drop. This is a game where you may have to set up the run with the pass.

I think Neon Leon may be as big a factor as TJ in this one. Catching screens and dump offs, safety valve type plays. Hopefully he can take one to the house as well(kickoff/punt).

If we can get them off the line of scrimmage and kepp 7 or less in the box then I do believe TJ could rip off some nice 5 and 7 yarders on them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    He may. But, I think we will have to start with some dump passes and those quick slant play that require minimal drop. This is a game where you may have to set up the run with the pass.

I think Neon Leon may be as big a factor as TJ in this one. Catching screens and dump offs, safety valve type plays. Hopefully he can take one to the house as well(kickoff/punt).

If we can get them off the line of scrimmage and kepp 7 or less in the box then I do believe TJ could rip off some nice 5 and 7 yarders on them.
    This is going the be THE key to this game.

I don't think Jones will gain a lot of yardage against the Titans.

But we need Washington to get at least 40 on the ground and another 60+ recieving. Washington, Keller and Stuckey are going to have to come up big.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post

But we need Washington to get at least 40 on the ground and another 60+ recieving. Washington, Keller and Stuckey are going to have to come up big.

This definitely needs to happen. Once it does I do think TJ could get going and find the space to gain between 4-7 yards. He did it quite a bit against New England and their front 7 are pretty formidable.

But the quick passing game will have to make this type of run available.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jones has a history of playing well in big games, going back to when he was with Chicago the year that they made the SB run. That said, don't expect too much - Tenn has a sick defense and just getting close to 100 would be a nice game.
    I like how you manage to both pump Jones up by referencing his history (SB run) but then also set aside a convenient excuse (Tenn has a sick defense) just in case.

Ray Ray has nothing on you

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post

He's never had a game where he had 40+ on the ground and 40+ in the air.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

If TJ goes for 75+, we'll be OK. JMO.

Or...TJ needs to pick up 4 yards consistently on 2nd down after a couple of slants to the WR's or quick hits to Keller for 5-7 yards. If they telegraph the "1st down run-up -the middle play" against Tennessee (like last week), it could get ugly.

Wear down the those fat-bodies in the middle with the quick passing game and then shove TJ down their throat!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    He's never had a game where he had 40+ on the ground and 40+ in the air.
    Not as a Jet..You would have to go to 05 for the last time that happened..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Not as a Jet..You would have to go to 05 for the last time that happened..
    We were talking about Washington.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Folk da Tit-ans.....
    Gotta stop der run..................!
    Da O-line is jellin "Cherry,"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... t. jones - 20 carries 80 yards ...

... l. washington - 8 carries 30 yards ...

... l_j_r because J-E-T-S win ...

l_j_r

All League
    wanna know what i kind of number i want to see? i want the Jets have 1 more point than the Titans... who cares about statement games by a rb...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    wanna know what i kind of number i want to see? i want the Jets have 1 more point than the Titans... who cares about statement games by a rb...
    solid post. one more point. we should have thought of that.