Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One piece away ---could be Gholston

One piece away ---could be Gholston

We are one piece away from being a truly dominant team. That one missing piece is that dominant pass rusher. I know that collectively we have been getting to the apposing QB, but it is in those late 3rd QTR and 4th QTR situations that we seem to lack that big time-knock -out pass rusher. I was watching Gholston this during the game and he is starting to get close. If he can turn that rookie corner and start gaining confidence and getting to the QB, he could be that missing difference maker that we could add to the mix and push us over the top.

Veteran
    I agree 100%, but im not sure Gholston is ready yet, he seems slow, and lost out there, but that will be made up with expierience he certainly has the body and brains for it he just has to get his heart and a little expierience and he should be fine.

All League
    ghoulston had 1 play where he got some pressure. but he also missed a tackle on chris johnson he should of made.

Rookie
    No matter how good Gholston becomes, he won't make a difference. In the late 3rd and 4th quarters we are only rushing 3 guys against 6 players in pass protection. If we started rushing 4, then there would be a place for him to impact the pass rush.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    We are one piece away from being a truly dominant team. That one missing piece is that dominant pass rusher. I know that collectively we have been getting to the apposing QB, but it is in those late 3rd QTR and 4th QTR situations that we seem to lack that big time-knock -out pass rusher. I was watching Gholston this during the game and he is starting to get close. If he can turn that rookie corner and start gaining confidence and getting to the QB, he could be that missing difference maker that we could add to the mix and push us over the top.
    I could not agree more. One more double digit sack guy and this defense is fantastic.

(Not to mention the addition of bomb threat Clowney. I still believe brother. You'll get your chance)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by skaoscar View Post
    No matter how good Gholston becomes, he won't make a difference. In the late 3rd and 4th quarters we are only rushing 3 guys against 6 players in pass protection. If we started rushing 4, then there would be a place for him to impact the pass rush.

On third and long we'd be sending the all-out blitz if we had a better blitz.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    ghoulston had 1 play where he got some pressure. but he also missed a tackle on chris johnson he should of made.
    I also saw on one running play where he stood up his blocker and forced the runner inside, where he was tackled for no gain.

He's coming along. Slowly maybe, but he is coming along.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by skaoscar View Post
    A glaring example of how the Sutton/Mangini combo lacks that killer defensive instinct.

We seem to get way to passive late in games instead of stepping on the throat of our opponent.

But an 8-3 record and 1st place in the division covers that up fairly well (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Actually, I don't agree. I think that if we're one piece away, its a consistent CB opposite Revis. Our pass defense didn't give up a big play yesterday, but they weren't exactly playing an elite passing team. The inconsistent play of our secondary still makes me nervous. If Cutler is on next week, it could get real ugly, real fast. And please don't tell me that Ty Law has resolved those issues. He's been a pleasant surprise the last couple of weeks, but I'm not convinced he can match up one on one against an elite WR at this stage in his career.

All Pro
    Were you all watching the same number 56 as me? The guy who looked slow as molasess out there. The guy who's only move was to run straight into the offensive lineman and get engulfed in a block?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I also saw on one running play where he stood up his blocker and forced the runner inside, where he was tackled for no gain.

He's coming along. Slowly maybe, but he is coming along.
    I saw that as well. I replayed it because I couldn't believe Vernon made such a good play. Good technique, did it exactly the way it is drawn up. If he does that 30 more times per game, we are in business.

Of course, if the offense keeps up with 40+ minutes in TOP the defense doesn't have to play very much.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

2 pieces IMO

1. dominating pass rusher

2. speedy deep threat WR

The Jets offense is legit. But you add a true play making speedy WR and we could break records.

Just look at the Pats. Brady had solid years. Decent numbers. But you put Moss with Welker and Stallworth and it became a record breaking dominating offense. And that was a huge reason they found themselves back in the Bowl last year after a couple years off. He doesnt have to be your 6'3-6'4 guy. Just a true burner.

All Pro
    How about getting David Harris back into the starting lineup. That is one huge piece. Think about it, the Jets D has been playing great and hasn't even had their best LB in the mix. They will have a really good rotation as soon as he is back.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    A glaring example of how the Sutton/Mangini combo lacks that killer defensive instinct.

We seem to get way to passive late in games instead of stepping on the throat of our opponent.

But an 8-3 record and 1st place in the division covers that up fairly well (for now).
    problem is we don't have a great pass rusher who can get consistent pressure if we don't blitz. we need a guy when we send only 4 to get pressure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Were you all watching the same number 56 as me? The guy who looked slow as molasess out there. The guy who's only move was to run straight into the offensive lineman and get engulfed in a block?
    No doubt his technique is God-awful right now, but his strength is evident--he's not getting to the passer, but he rarely gets pushed back and holds the edge very well. As sourceworx said, he shut down a running play to his side; he also flushed Collins out of the pocket late in the game.

Gholston needs a lot of coaching, but he showed some improvement yesterday. Since we all knew he was going to be a project, and especially since we're still getting to the QB without any real contributions from him, I'm content to let him develop. If he still looks like this a year from now, I'll be worried. It's definitely a good sign that he got a lot of PT yesterday--especially since it was in a big game against a tough opponent with a dominant OL. Definitely shows that the coaches are developing some faith in him and that he's taking some baby steps forward.

Hopefully he makes the leap sooner rather than later, because I agree with the OP--a pass-rusher that must be accounted for on every single down would push this defense to the next level.

All Pro
    Let's wait and see how we play next week. This week we WERE a dominant team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post

Well the defensive coaches have rightfully turned the Jets D into a coverage unit since they figured out our 4 man rush does nothing. I'd still rather have one of those scary ass blitzes like the Giants or Ravens. Those are the teams that win the Super Bowl. The Giants won last year because they were in Brady's face all game.

Veteran
    Gholston improved alot against a good Titan line. Hopefully his improvement will continue. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus like so many Jets fans are. He's 11 games into a new position and has shown progress. Next year at this time if he is playing poorly then the bust talk should emerge. But honestly I think Gholston has an opportunity to contribute now. If he can get his act together he could be used on obvious passing downs. He applied some pressure yesterday and hopefully that will only improve.

All League
    as far as our pass rush, we seem to be pretty successful when we blitz revis off the corner or blitz rhodes when he lines up at the line of scrimmage but we have stopped doing that. rhodes did it again yesterday, blitzed from deep in the secondary (although he made the tackle on the play from behind) but if you watch a team like philly or pitts who gets excellent pressure, they send two or three db's to the line of scrimmage prior to the play and offenses can't block all these guys...certain downs, bring the house let's take a chance once in a while especially with our offensenses ability to score...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    that's the guy I saw -- the same guy who didn't hustle getting back to make a tackle.