Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Jet's playoff possible issue's

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,566

    Jet's playoff possible issue's

    From ESPN
    By Ned Macey
    Football Outsiders

    Despite the impressive win, the Jets are not the best team in the AFC. They have a good and improving offense but only an average defense. That defense is wildly inconsistent, allowing more than 30 points three times and now holding four teams under 15. It is no surprise that two of the big games came against two of the NFL's top pass offenses, San Diego and Arizona. The third was against the rejuvenated Patriots' passing attack. A bad matchup for the Jets would be a pass-first team that does not need to establish the run. Among potential AFC playoff opponents, only Denver, Indianapolis and New England pose that challenge. The Jets' defense would likely struggle against all three of those teams but play well against Baltimore; Pittsburgh; or, as Sunday proved, Tennessee.

    I have to agree with him; the Bronco's have the ability to light us up like the Cardinals did. With the signing of Law, that should help a little, but next year we need another CB to pair with Revis...Rhodes and whomever is playing opposite of him doesn't scare any opponents - our backfield is an issue.

    I will say that Indy doesnt scare me because their defense can't stop a top flight runnning team, especially on the road even if they just beat the Chargers..

    What do you guys think of their analysis...

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,738
    Ehh I don't know. We shut Arizona out in the first half and then decided to go prevent the entire second. We held New England to 6 before deciding to rush 3 the rest of the way. Besides the San Diego game, we haven't really got lit up until we started dropping everyone back in coverage. I'm hoping Mangini ignores his chart and plays the Broncos passing offense straight up for 60 minutes on Sunday so we can get a good grip on how good or bad this pass D really is.

  3. #3

    I think this is decent analysis

    but, let's face it ... any team that doesn't try to "establish the run" and just comes out throwing every down is going to be in trouble ... against the Jets and anyone else in the playoffs for that matter.
    What people seem to forget, is that both the Cardinals and Patriots were way behind when they began to throw the ball repeatedly on our defense. A defense that was playing with a big lead, and rushing the quarterback with ... can we say ... "less zeal" than normal? Say what you will about our defensive philosophy in those games, but it was shaped by the fact we jumped out to a huge lead in both games. If we were to face the Patriots and/or Broncos in the playoffs, I'd expect us to handle them just fine. Neither team has much of a running game, and if the Broncos feel like losing 48-31, that's ok by me, too. The Colts are playing better, but they're not the Colts "of old" -- besides, we'd get 'em in NY.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post

    I have to agree with him; the Bronco's have the ability to light us up
    like the Cardinals did. With the signing of Law, that should help a little,
    but next year we need another CB to pair with Revis...Rhodes and whomever
    is playing opposite of him doesn't scare any opponents - our backfield is an issue.


    I also agree with the writer.
    In the remaining 5 games I'm confident that the offense will continue to gel.

    The same cannot be said of the defense.
    I'm not too enthusiastic about Ty Law getting back into the thick of things.
    If he were "that good" to begin with he should have been
    part of the package from the beginning of the season.

    The defensive coaches will have to work some magic or at least attempt
    to incrementally improve the pass coverage game by game before the playoffs arrive. There is plenty of time for that.
    Both the offense, defense and special teams (this means you Mr. Feely)
    must develop into a well oiled-machine - right now the foot is only on the gas pedal.

  5. #5
    Agree with the Colts and the Pats but not so much Denver. Denver throws all over the field but they dont score. That offense has been on the slide for months now. Manning scores points and lately so does New England. Big difference between them and Denver.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,252
    I might be alone on this, but I think our secondary is given too much of the rap for our problems with defending the pass. The problem with our defense is not the secondary but the pass rush. Give an NFL QB time to throw the ball and he's going to make the throw more times than not, even with good coverage. No doubt our DL gets a push and is stout against the run, but from what I see they don't get to the QB often enough or fast enough. Same with our OLBs. They are big, but slow.

    Sutton needs to get more creative and more aggressive with the blitz and earn his paycheck. If the Tennessee offense wasn't so pathetic I'm sure they would have lit up our defense for 30+ points with the way they were being schemed.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    I might be alone on this, but I think our secondary is given too much of the rap for our problems with defending the pass. The problem with our defense is not the secondary but the pass rush. Give an NFL QB time to throw the ball and he's going to make the throw more times than not, even with good coverage. No doubt our DL gets a push and is stout against the run, but from what I see they don't get to the QB often enough or fast enough. Same with our OLBs. They are big, but slow.

    Sutton needs to get more creative and more aggressive with the blitz and earn his paycheck. If the Tennessee offense wasn't so pathetic I'm sure they would have lit up our defense for 30+ points with the way they were being schemed.
    No no, you're absolutely not alone. In fact, most of the brighter people (in terms of football IQ) will actually agree with your analysis. I certainly do, and have been saying it for weeks.
    Sutton has NO creativity in his pass rush schemes, and is the reason for our poor pass defense in spite of having a much better than average secondary.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    No no, you're absolutely not alone. In fact, most of the brighter people (in terms of football IQ) will actually agree with your analysis. I certainly do, and have been saying it for weeks.
    Sutton has NO creativity in his pass rush schemes, and is the reason for our poor pass defense in spite of having a much better than average secondary.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    No no, you're absolutely not alone. In fact, most of the brighter people (in terms of football IQ) will actually agree with your analysis. I certainly do, and have been saying it for weeks.
    Sutton has NO creativity in his pass rush schemes, and is the reason for our poor pass defense in spite of having a much better than average secondary.
    I feel like the only time we get a rush is when Rhodes or Elam blitz. I want to see Pace utilized more honestly.

  10. #10
    Jets weren't ready for the Chargers. Especially the offense. Favre-OL-TJ were not yet in sync. We had a 34-0 dominant half against the Cards, then go prevent on D. And were up 24-6 before Jets took their foot off of the Pats' throats too.

    Denver is a finesse team that doesn't do well against physical teams. I saw the Jaguars go to Denver and play the Broncos very physical and intimidate them. And I'm sure the Raiders played them the same physical way...revenge for that MNF humiliation earlier in the season. If the Jets play on the LOS physical against the Broncos, like they did with the Pats and Titans, then Jets will post a solid win. Just use that OL and ram TJ-Leon-B'Smith right down their throats.

    Law is helping our secondary already. And Abram is making big plays with each new start. The Titans had nothing on the ground, so whatever they got from their passing game was not damaging or a threat to the game's outcome. Denver can be lethal in the air...so lets see how our secondary plays against them. I expect they will play well.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,717
    I kinda agree with the analysis. I think the only weakness this team really has is the pass defense. And I dont know how that is with Revis and Rhodes back there. I dont think our depth is all that bad at all so thats why it puzzles me.

    But I agree because if a team is a run heavy team with not great wr's like the titans, we are matched up perfectly. But if we were to face the Colts or like the Pats again, who can go spread, we get in trouble. I think we would still have trouble with the Chargers offense if we were to face them again. But it is def because we dont get much pressure on the QB when we blitz and that leaves them to sit back there and pick the D apart.

    I think Denver will be a great test,regardless of how poorly they have played recently just because they are a passing team with a good set of wr/te. And hopefully we stop playing soft after we get a good lead and keep attacking, and find better ways to get to the QB.

  12. #12
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    I might be alone on this, but I think our secondary is given too much of the rap for our problems with defending the pass. The problem with our defense is not the secondary but the pass rush. Give an NFL QB time to throw the ball and he's going to make the throw more times than not, even with good coverage. No doubt our DL gets a push and is stout against the run, but from what I see they don't get to the QB often enough or fast enough. Same with our OLBs. They are big, but slow.

    Sutton needs to get more creative and more aggressive with the blitz and earn his paycheck. If the Tennessee offense wasn't so pathetic I'm sure they would have lit up our defense for 30+ points with the way they were being schemed.
    The jets have the 3rd most sacks in the league. So statistics wise, you are wrong.

    A lot of the yardage comes from TEs and RBs underneath and poor coverage from LBs. Also there has been a lot of yardage due to Mangini's crappy prevent defense.

  13. #13
    Well the JETS defense to me is very good they just got to stop with that prevent crap.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,848
    Denver and Indianapolis I'm not scared of, because even if they pass on us a lot, they won't score a ton, and our offense will dominate their defense. We'll run all over them -- both have undersized front 7s that our offensive line would feast on.

    The Patriots scare me because of their offense, and the fact that they have a smart, physical defense.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    I think it's true that we don't match up that well with passing offenses as we match up better with more traditional, physical teams. Yet we shouldn't forget that we have one hell of an advantage over a team like Indy and that is Kris Jenkins. Him facing the smallish Colts Oline would be a mismatch all game long and we saw what he did to other Olines like the one from the Pats and the Titans. We have shown we can control the ball for extended periods which is always a plus against a team like Indy.

    Sure, we match up better with some teams than others but overall, the Jets don't have to be scared of anyone as our offense proved that they can hold the ball, move it and score big against elite defenses.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    From ESPN
    By Ned Macey
    Football Outsiders

    Despite the impressive win, the Jets are not the best team in the AFC. They have a good and improving offense but only an average defense. That defense is wildly inconsistent, allowing more than 30 points three times and now holding four teams under 15. It is no surprise that two of the big games came against two of the NFL's top pass offenses, San Diego and Arizona. The third was against the rejuvenated Patriots' passing attack. A bad matchup for the Jets would be a pass-first team that does not need to establish the run. Among potential AFC playoff opponents, only Denver, Indianapolis and New England pose that challenge. The Jets' defense would likely struggle against all three of those teams but play well against Baltimore; Pittsburgh; or, as Sunday proved, Tennessee.



    I have to agree with him; the Bronco's have the ability to light us up like the Cardinals did. With the signing of Law, that should help a little, but next year we need another CB to pair with Revis...Rhodes and whomever is playing opposite of him doesn't scare any opponents - our backfield is an issue.

    I will say that Indy doesnt scare me because their defense can't stop a top flight runnning team, especially on the road even if they just beat the Chargers..

    What do you guys think of their analysis...
    Light us up like the Cardinals did? Didn't we clobber them?

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,586
    I think a lot of the inconsistency come from building a new team on both sides of the ball. Our team (Offensively & Defensively) has gotten better as the season has drawn on. Chemistry takes time to build and the Jets are no different. That being said, the prevent defense is a complete joke & waste of time. We are hugely effective when we are attacking but once we go to the prevent teams eat us up.

    As long as Sutton stop trying to use a defense that doesn't work we will be fine.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    ... the important thing is KJ in there stopping the run ...

    ... he has been dominant & teams have been forced to pass ...

    ... we have not been able to do this for years ...

    ... stop the run = good defense = chance at lombardi trophy ...






    l_j_r

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,352
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    From ESPN
    By Ned Macey
    Football Outsiders

    Despite the impressive win, the Jets are not the best team in the AFC. They have a good and improving offense but only an average defense. That defense is wildly inconsistent, allowing more than 30 points three times and now holding four teams under 15. It is no surprise that two of the big games came against two of the NFL's top pass offenses, San Diego and Arizona. The third was against the rejuvenated Patriots' passing attack. A bad matchup for the Jets would be a pass-first team that does not need to establish the run. Among potential AFC playoff opponents, only Denver, Indianapolis and New England pose that challenge. The Jets' defense would likely struggle against all three of those teams but play well against Baltimore; Pittsburgh; or, as Sunday proved, Tennessee.

    I have to agree with him; the Bronco's have the ability to light us up like the Cardinals did. With the signing of Law, that should help a little, but next year we need another CB to pair with Revis...Rhodes and whomever is playing opposite of him doesn't scare any opponents - our backfield is an issue.

    I will say that Indy doesnt scare me because their defense can't stop a top flight runnning team, especially on the road even if they just beat the Chargers..

    What do you guys think of their analysis...
    Asomugha is an unrestricted free agent after this year and I am sure he will be looking to get out of Oakland. Can you imagine him paired with Revis and backed up by Rhodes?

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Fl
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    I might be alone on this, but I think our secondary is given too much of the rap for our problems with defending the pass. The problem with our defense is not the secondary but the pass rush. Give an NFL QB time to throw the ball and he's going to make the throw more times than not, even with good coverage. No doubt our DL gets a push and is stout against the run, but from what I see they don't get to the QB often enough or fast enough. Same with our OLBs. They are big, but slow.

    Sutton needs to get more creative and more aggressive with the blitz and earn his paycheck. If the Tennessee offense wasn't so pathetic I'm sure they would have lit up our defense for 30+ points with the way they were being schemed.
    Rick I am with you there is no pass rush lately.Dont know if it has to do with Harris being out and Pace having to drop back in coverage or the blitz packages all coming from the inside, Rhodes has not even sniffed a sack lately.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us