Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Favre's on-field demeanor with the offense?

Hall Of Fame

Question about Favre's on-field demeanor with the offense?

Has anyone seen Favre yell at a lineman or receiver? I haven't, but living in Patsland, I've been watching games on JustinTV for the past few games.

The reason I ask is because Favre used to yell at Packer players for missed catches blocks etc.. I really want to see Favre takeover as a leader and make the players around him better, but I'm afraid he still sees himself as the new guy who doesn't think it's his place to criticize players. In other words, I'm still not sure he really considers himself a full-fledged Jet yet.

I want to see him get in someone's face, we haven't had a hardcore leader on this team since Bryan Cox.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-y-y-y View Post
    Has anyone seen Favre yell at a lineman or receiver? I haven't, but living in Patsland, I've been watching games on JustinTV for the past few games.

The reason I ask is because Favre used to yell at Packer players for missed catches blocks etc.. I really want to see Favre takeover as a leader and make the players around him better, but I'm afraid he still sees himself as the new guy who doesn't think it's his place to criticize players. In other words, I'm still not sure he really considers himself a full-fledged Jet yet.

I want to see him get in someone's face, we haven't had a hardcore leader on this team since Bryan Cox.
    I've been watching games the same way.

I think you are looking too deep into the psychology of the game... Favre yelling at people shouldn't matter. Nobody on this team acts that way, the team reflects the demeanor of the coach - which could be summed up by an emotionless, blank stare.

Favre has tried to fight the good fight, he has made it clear enough to me that he is trying to infuse a sense of pride, and a sense of passion into the way the team plays... but I think its too big a challenge for one guy to combat a culture that is day-in, day-out reinforced by a coach who is oblivious to the fact that his "way" has created a lifeless team.

Favre has made his mark, but for the most part... Mangini has the team tightly reigned into behaving the way he wants them to... in fact, I think that in his time as HC, I think this is the one thing that Mangini has done best. He has been most successful at "controlling" the behaviour of the players... essentially sucking the life out of them. He wanted players that "love the game" but he discourages any behaviour that could be mistaken for "passion."

I can't wait for amateur hour to be over.

Hall Of Fame
    His body language is very telling.

All Pro
    Favre has made his mark, but for the most part... Mangini has the team tightly reigned into behaving the way he wants them to... in fact, I think that in his time as HC, I think this is the one thing that Mangini has done best. He has been most successful at "controlling" the behaviour of the players... essentially sucking the life out of them. He wanted players that "love the game" but he discourages any behaviour that could be mistaken for "passion."
    Someone needs to smack Mangini until he realizes that with no Passion you have a lifeless bunch of players just going threw the motions!!!

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    His body language is very telling.
    When I read Favre's body language, I understand why he likes Wrangler jeans and spanking NFL players. I also think he needs more pizza while texting.

Hall Of Fame
    This again?

We're not scoring because our wide receivers blow and our coaches are beyond inept at playcalling. Not because of someone's demeanor

All League
    If you want to know when this team last had a big time inspirational leader it would be when DONNIE HENDERSON was calling the defensive plays. Of course we let Donnie go. We have no intensity on either side of the ball right now and I think because this team beat the Pats and the Titans they expected teams to lay down for them.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    This again?

We're not scoring because our wide receivers blow and our coaches are beyond inept at playcalling. Not because of someone's demeanor
    This statement is true. However, passion is a huge part of the game. We're just going through the motions. I haven't seen this team fired up in years. I wish I would see some emotion out of ANYONE on this team.

I really appreciated Westhoff going ballastic on the sideline yesterday.

Belichick does the same crap... I also thought that you needed to go nuts, but Belichick proved that wrong.

Belichick does get mad from time to time, but never freaks out, exactly like Mangini.

Practice Squad
    Brett will never give up. That is why you saw him throwing 60 yd bombs, hoping a WR would make a play. By that I mean if they cannot get open (and THEY CANNOT) they have an equal chance of getting the ball as the defender, or getting a PI penalty. Once again Cotch gave up on a long pass (pointed out by Simms) - something that has been talked about since BF arrived - never give up on a play. Coles was owned all day long. I got tired of watching SF receivers open by 3-5 yards and our guys being shadowed like white on rice.

BF goes thru his progressions quickly, if a guy is open he throws it. If the wr's cannot shake loose it is not his fault.

SF was ready for everything yesterday, shut down screens, slants. I don;t recall too many bubble screens. But the loss was on the D. Another average QB made to look like a HOF'r. And what is up with the three man rush by the Jets D? What, about 90% completetion (for long gains and first downs. And the Jets kept running it. Did not see it from SF. Did not see it from Pitt yesterday.

Fix the D and the offense can win games.

All Pro
    i see no problem with his demeanor.i love his energy and you don't know what is going on, on the sidelines.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired in B'sA's View Post
    Brett will never give up. That is why you saw him throwing 60 yd bombs, hoping a WR would make a play. By that I mean if they cannot get open (and THEY CANNOT) they have an equal chance of getting the ball as the defender, or getting a PI penalty. Once again Cotch gave up on a long pass (pointed out by Simms) - something that has been talked about since BF arrived - never give up on a play. Coles was owned all day long. I got tired of watching SF receivers open by 3-5 yards and our guys being shadowed like white on rice.

BF goes thru his progressions quickly, if a guy is open he throws it. If the wr's cannot shake loose it is not his fault.

SF was ready for everything yesterday, shut down screens, slants. I don;t recall too many bubble screens. But the loss was on the D. Another average QB made to look like a HOF'r. And what is up with the three man rush by the Jets D? What, about 90% completetion (for long gains and first downs. And the Jets kept running it. Did not see it from SF. Did not see it from Pitt yesterday.

Throwing 60 yard bombs actually is giving up. WHen you look at the percentage of those he has completed and the percentage that have been intercepted, those bombs are saying f*** it we'll jsut beat buffalo next week......

So it's all on the receivers? When we win its all Favre no one says a word about the receivers. When we lose its every1s fault but Favre. I thought the QB was supposed to get all the praise and all the criticism....138 yards on over 30 tries.....he was very inaccurate yesterday, the only passes he completed were screen passes.

Give it up, Penny. Admit it, you're just a hater on Favre.

I thought he threw the bomb to Coles in particular, partly because of Coles' bellyaching about getting the ball more. This week wasn't the first time he's made it known he should be getting the ball. That ball was catchable, and if you watch the replay, Coles wasn't even looking for the ball when it was catchable, he was watching the DB all the way. That's not Brett's fault.

Brett is EXCELLENT at checkdowns because Holmgren drilled it into him. He will go to the receiver who is the most open, or has the best chance of being open, regardless of who they are. He had to deal with Sterling Sharpe being a drama queen early on, and Brett said the passing plays got a lot better when he wasn't under the pressure of always looking for a certain receiver.

Obviously nothing else was working real well at the time either, so the turnover wasn't that big a deal where it occurred. Coles could have very well caught it if his head wasn't up his ass.

Brett isn't perfect, but he can't help it if his receivers can't run better routes and get separation.
    Last edited by wisjetfan4; 12-08-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Oh yeah, and BTW, if you ever listen to Brett's press conferences, he ALWAYS takes responsibility for a loss, or for bad play, he never points fingers at anyone else's play. He just says that everyone has to do a better job, himself included. He usually says, "and that starts with me."

Whether you happen to like him or not, he is a pro's pro.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by wisjetfan4 View Post

I thought he threw the to Coles in particular, partly because of Coles' bellyaching about getting the ball more. This week wasn't the first time he's made it known he should be getting the ball. That ball was catchable, and if you watch the replay, Coles wasn't even looking for the ball when it was catchable, he was watching the DB all the way. That's not Brett's fault.

Brett is EXCELLENT at checkdowns because Holmgren drilled it into him. He will go to the receiver who is the most open, or has the best chance of being open, regardless of who they are. He had to deal with Sterling Sharpe being a drama queen early on, and Brett said the passing plays got a lot better when he wasn't under the pressure of always looking for a certain receiver.

Obviously nothing else was working real well at the time either, so the turnover wasn't that big a deal where it occurred. Coles could have very well caught it if his head wasn't up his ass.

Brett isn't perfect, but he can't help it if his receivers can't run better routes and get separation.
    I blame the OL more than the receivers, I think Cotchery and Coles make a fine wr duo. Favre just isn't getting any time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wisjetfan4 View Post

I thought he threw the to Coles in particular, partly because of Coles' bellyaching about getting the ball more. This week wasn't the first time he's made it known he should be getting the ball. That ball was catchable, and if you watch the replay, Coles wasn't even looking for the ball when it was catchable, he was watching the DB all the way. That's not Brett's fault.

I'm not a Favre, hater I think he has played alright this season and wouldn't open my mouth about his flaws if it werent for the Penny haters. Favre has gotten a ridiculous amount of praise and much of it is unfounded. They play well when he dumps the ball off and manages the game, we didn't need to spend 12 mil on that when there are many qbs who can do that. I am exclusively posting to the haters who have said things to the effect of "Chad would ahve 3 less wins" The facts are infront of us, he has the same amount of wins on a worse team and has been more of a playmaker than game manager...If you are not a hater who has laughed at the prospect of the Jets doing just as well if not better with Penny then I am not directing my posts towwards you.

Good point. I'm wondering, I know there are a lot of different factors, but in some of our earlier games I know Cotch at least was getting open a lot of the time.

Keller was a non-factor yesterday too which was a surprise.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired in B'sA's View Post

BINGO!!!! Why cant the beat writers and others out here who follow the Jets see your points!!!! Yesterday for example many our here said "look Farve threw an interception" what they dont get is Farve is a player and he is trying to get his WR to make a play cant anyone see what is happening

IMO Farve is one of the few reasons why we are better off then we were. It is all a joke!!!! But thanks for the post!!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Belichick does the same crap... I also thought that you needed to go nuts, but Belichick proved that wrong.

Belichick does get mad from time to time, but never freaks out, exactly like Mangini.
    HEADLINE INFO....MANGINI IS NOT BELLICHICK!!!!!! GOODGRIEF

I don't hate Chad. He has definitely benefited however from a change of scene and a change of coaching staffs who are devising plays with his strengths and weaknesses in mind.

Our coaching staff doesn't really know what to do with Brett's strengths and type of quarterbacking.

And no, we DON'T have the 2 wins at NE and Tenn. if we still had Chad.

Brett is NOT overrated. His records over 17 years should speak for themselves, including the 40-some game comebacks he's had. You obviously haven't watched him play for 14 years like I have, and I didn't start watching the Pack with any preconceived notions. I was a Vikes fan at the time.

As gifted as he is, both physically and leadership-wise, it's still a 53 man roster, and EVERYONE has to step up and play their best, in spite of mediocre coaching. He may be one of the greatest of all time, but he CAN'T DO IT BY HIMSELF.