Thread: The De-evolution of the Jets Offense

The De-evolution of the Jets Offense

Brett Favre was throwing a whole bunch of ints in the earlier part of the season (post his 6td game i believe), so Mangini gave him that "don't hit on 21" speech AND in addition clearly changed the gameplan to almost entirely quick/short passes. Now that worked out WONDERFULLY against the bills, pats, titans etc. Then, it got old AND unfortunately, this offense along with #4, seem almost incapable of dropping back in the pocket, avoiding a little pressure, and finding a reciever 20-25 yards downfield! It's amazing to me that ALL THIS OFFENSE CAN EXECUTE IS A QUICK SLANT OR QUICK OUT BY A TIGHT-END. And even after these short passes stopped working against denver, we had no alternative vs. the niners!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

It's incredibly frustrating because when the offense can't move the ball, convert 3rd downs and sustain drives, it means the defense gets left on the field way too long. SF and Denver both had a big advantage in TOP (2 to 1) the past two weeks - and big surprise, we were easily defeated in both games. Favre and the receivers appear to be incapable of deep, or even intermediate range, passes. And now they can't even get the dink-and-dunk to work.

All this despite having the AFC's leading rusher....
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12-08-2008 at 11:31 PM.

All Pro
    they need to stretch the field.no choice.thier running game is still solid,despite this slump.the real question is how are they going to get pressure on the qb? mangini is asking 270 converted linemen to cover quick slants and 12 yd posts.giving qb's,without a pass rush, all day to wait for breaks and crosses to develop.i don't understand it.

Hall Of Fame
    They tried to go deep as they should last game but our WR's are zero deep threats, they are always covered and have no ability to to go up and get a ball from a DB. For all the mocking the Clowney people take I'd rather have him going deep right now than Coles and cotchery who have shown they can't get it done.

As for our defemce, they are staying on the filed because they are letting the other team shred them on long drives, not because the o is not giving them enough rest. Our O is playing badly but our D stinks like limburger right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

All this despite having the AFC's leading rusher....

But that's another thing...the Jets seem to rush the ball well when there's at least a little deception involved ie. mixing it up on first down with the pass or rushing on second downs. It seems like whenever they try to show the other team that they can pound it down thier throats at will, they get burned, because they can't!

And truth be told- that's fine with me. I really think there are very few teams who CAN pound the ball up the middle even when the other team knows its coming. So I really wish the Jets would stop trying, and instead revert back to mixing it up and surprising the other team.

All League
    Seeing other teams run offenses with WRs inferior to ours just makes me wonder...

Where are the dig routes? the 20 yard ins? Where are the high-low type of route combinations? Among many other things.

All Pro
    The jets offense has been predictable in the games when they lose. They play very vanilla if you ask me... It's noticable too!! Where has Turner been? They normally use him on short yardage plays like the one when the jets punted instead of going for it on 4th&1 from the SF 39. That was weird... They dont use playaction hardly at all and they dont send guys in motion to try and fool the defense either. It's depressing to watch.

Veteran
    Favre has not looked good throwing anything over 15yds and I think they moved away from the run way too early.

The only deep ball that Schotty calls is a fly pattern. What happened to deep ins, posts, flags, crossing patterns? Schotty's O does not run complimentary routes.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Seeing other teams run offenses with WRs inferior to ours just makes me wonder...

Where are the dig routes? the 20 yard ins? Where are the high-low type of route combinations? Among many other things.
    I agree 100%.

All League
    no adjustments are made. if the same thing doesn't work just keep on trying it till you lose the rest of the games

All League
    Biggest problem I have with the offense is the failure to commit to the run and trust the running game that's been one of the best in the league. And it's not only that they don't run the ball enough, it's that they use more empty backfield formations than any other team in the league, taking away the threat of the run, in situations where they otherwise could run the ball (2nd & 7, 3rd &2, etc.).

When you have a good running game you should A) run the ball and B) maintain the threat of the run when it's not 3rd and long.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post

+1.

It seems 90% of our passes are screens, dump offs or 8 yard pass to Keller.

I don't know if it means our WR's aren't getting separation, or if Favre doesn't have enough time to wait for the play to develop. Prolly a bit of both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Biggest problem I have with the offense is the failure to commit to the run and trust the running game that's been one of the best in the league. And it's not only that they don't run the ball enough, it's that they use more empty backfield formations than any other team in the league, taking away the threat of the run, in situations where they otherwise could run the ball (2nd & 7, 3rd &2, etc.).

When you have a good running game you should A) run the ball and B) maintain the threat of the run when it's not 3rd and long.
    Agreed. When your run game has been as dominate as ours, we should be using the run to set up the pass. Maybe that was different at the beginning of the season because our oline wasnt doing a great job of creating holes...but thats not the case anymore...ADJUST!!!

And I have no clue with a run game like ours, do we constantly tell oppossing defenses that we are not going to run the ball by having empty backfields.

There is just too much this team does by coaching demands that just doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    +1.

It seems 90% of our passes are screens, dump offs or 8 yard pass to Keller.

I don't know if it means our WR's aren't getting separation, or if Favre doesn't have enough time to wait for the play to develop. Prolly a bit of both.
    If you notice, on the few plays every game (for like the last 7 weeks) that Favre DOES drop back and look for an intermediate to long route, he ends up "not finding anyone," and gets sacked. You could suppose that his receivers are not getting open, but I suspect that Favre is STILL not in sync with this offense ie. his receivers routes- not catching them when they break to the sideline or the middle of the field etc. Why would I suspect this? Because even with the week armed Pennington we were able to occasionally hit 20 yarder down the middle of the field or somewhere near the sideline, as far as I can remember. Clemens too, had at least a little more success hitting intermediate routes.

And Don't Forget...

Remember when we used to use all those motions and different kinds of sets to throw the other team off? Yea. That was taken out of the playbook (@ #4's request) so future hall of famer brett favre could LEARN the offense.