Thread: My Jet's Possible 1st Rd Targets

Rookie

My Jet's Possible 1st Rd Targets

With 3 games left in the season, the Jets could be picking anywhere from about #16 to the late 20's in round#1 in April.

My 1st Rd targets are Secondary, LB and WR (not a huge 1st rd receiver fan) and 1 possible DE.

Possible first round targets:

William Moore, S Mizzou.......Big Safety that would look very good with Rhodes. The Jet's Safeties are interchangable, so Moore would do well. The Jets need another Safety, plain and simple. Moore had some nagging injuries in 2008 that slowed his production. Many Mocks have Moore in the top ten, but I believe his stock will drop some with underclassmen declaring. May be availbale if the Jets lose their last 3, but is doubtful. Jets may have to trade up a few spots if they covet Moore.

Vontae Davis, CB Ill.........I believe Jenkins is the #1 CB in the draft, Davis had an off year and could be available in the mid-teens. The Jets need more secondary help and could trade up a few spots to get Davis.

Alphonso Smith, CB Wake........doesn't have great size, but is a playmaker (int. machine) and a nose for the ball. Good speed and recovery skills with very good techique. I like how Smith looks back for the ball while covering Wideouts. Should be available when the Jet's pick.

Rashard Johnson, S, Bama.........a very smart player that plays the run very well. Hits like a freight train and has good, not great coverage skills, but needs some improvement. Johnson will be available in late rd 1.

Brandon Spikes LB, Florida..........I love this kid and would be a nice player next to Harris. Seems to do everything well. Florida's defense wouldn't be the same without Spikes. Spikes has the potential to be a star LB in the NFL. Definitely will declare, especially when Florida wins the championship.

Clint Sintim LB Virginia...........plays outside, but is very well suited to play inside in a 3-4. Many scouts and draft experts agree Sintim has all the physical tools and strenght to play inside. I saw 4 Virginia games this year and Sintim was the best defensive player for Virginia and it wasn't even close, he's in on almost every play. Drops into coverage, stout at the point of attack stopping the run, gets to the sideline quick. Has Football insticts and desire, something VG sorely lacks. Available when the Jets pick.

James Laurinaitis LB, OSU......James where have you gone??? The "little animal" could have been a Top Ten pick last year, now projected to be a late Rd 1 pick or even falling out of the 1st RD. I like JL, he a smart tough football player, I'm just not too sure if he would do well in our 3-4 in the middle. Not as physical as AJ Hawk, but a smart player that makes a ton of plays...... that could get run over in the NFL. I like, his playing partner Coleman in a later Mid Rd for depth and special teams.

Jeremy Maclin, WR Mizzou........could go anywhere from the teens to the mid 20's. I hope Crabtree declares, so it pushes Maclin's stock down .A very special player that could be easily gone when the Jets pick. I predict a mid -teen to a early 20's pick. Expected to declare. Reminds me of a bigger Tory Holt.

Darruis Heyward-Bey WR, Marland..........Big target that is productive despite Maryland not focusing on the pass. A good choice with Maclin gone. Some like Heyward-Bey's upside more than Maclin. This player has a huge upside and ton's of potential. Some think he could be a huge bust.

Tyson Jackson, DE LSU.............Jets' need some depth and players at the 3-4 DE position....Jackson is the man.
    Last edited by WW85; 12-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by WW85 View Post
    Jeremy Maclin, WR Mizzou........could go anywhere from the teens to the mid 20's. I hope Crabtree declares, so it pushes Maclin's stock down .A very special player that could be easily gone when the Jets pick. I predict a mid -teen to a early 20's pick. Expected to declare. Reminds me of a bigger Tory Holt.

All League
    Since we probably won't have a second round pick, first round becomes even more important. I like Maclin and Hayward-Bey, because I'm looking for an impact player, I don't believe that Coles has more than a year, and I'm looking for a Vertical threat. IMO Shott and Mangini do not agree with me, the way they have handled Clowney indicates to me that they are not interested in a deep threat. William Moore is the best value, its hard going for a safety in the first round. This is a Linebacker defense, I'm resigning Barton to decent FA money, and still pick Clint Sintim out of Virginia. The Jets will favor Sintim because he comes out of Al Grohs system at Virginia.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Since we probably won't have a second round pick, first round becomes even more important. I like Maclin and Hayward-Bey, because I'm looking for an impact player, I don't believe that Coles has more than a year, and I'm looking for a Vertical threat. IMO Shott and Mangini do not agree with me, the way they have handled Clowney indicates to me that they are not interested in a deep threat. William Moore is the best value, its hard going for a safety in the first round. This is a Linebacker defense, I'm resigning Barton to decent FA money, and still pick Clint Sintim out of Virginia. The Jets will favor Sintim because he comes out of Al Grohs system at Virginia.
    Sintim is fine with me, he's a hell of a football player. You can just tell Clint has the instincts, that VG lacks. Let's not forget Spikes....he's a special player that doesn't come around very often.
    Last edited by WW85; 12-12-2008 at 09:23 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sintim is fine with me, he's a hell of a football player. You can just tell Clint has the instincts, that VG lacks.
    VG has the size/speed ratio that SIntim lacks. People forget Sintim is 6'2" 250 maybe. VG is 6'4" 266. All this talk of him as a first round lock is premature. Very good player don't get me wrong but Gholston actually looked just as impressive at Ohio State as Sintim did at Virginia. The transition isn't instant and it isn't easy.

Veteran

I believe coles is done, and would love to see a WR Tandem of Jeremy Maclin and Jerricho Cotchery, along with the playmaking TE in Dustin Keller.

All League
    want no part of "lil animal" he looked slow and lost in the three big games they have played the last couple of years. The rumblings around the gator world is that Spikes is stayin for his senior year,too bad.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Brandon Spikes LB, Florida..........I love this kid and would be a nice player next to Harris. Seems to do everything well. Florida's defense wouldn't be the same without Spikes. Spikes has the potential to be a star LB in the NFL. Definitely will declare, especially when Florida wins the championship.

I have it from people in Gainesville that there have been solid rumors and noise about Spikes telling the team he was returning after the SECCG in the locker room. Also I have been hearing there is a possibility that Tebow Spikes and Harvin will announce in a presser either week before or week after BCSCG that they will be returning for their senior years. Seems like talking to Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey might be swaying them by telling them that the extra year would go a long way. Also I've heard that Harvin is the most likely to declair due to injury problems followed by Spikes and Tebow. Harvin is also very contingent on Tebow staying.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dogtown123 View Post

I have it from people in Gainesville that there have been solid rumors and noise about Spikes telling the team he was returning after the SECCG in the locker room. Also I have been hearing there is a possibility that Tebow Spikes and Harvin will announce in a presser either week before or week after BCSCG that they will be returning for their senior years. Seems like talking to Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey might be swaying them by telling them that the extra year would go a long way. Also I've heard that Harvin is the most likely to declair due to injury problems followed by Spikes and Tebow. Harvin is also very contingent on Tebow staying.
    I've read the Spikes stuff too and I don't believe it. Harvin's as good as gone and I think Tebow stays.

I'd add Larry English to this post. LaMarr Woodley-clone.

All Pro
    With the possibility of losing our second rounder the Jets will have to show some creativity in FA and the Draft this year. We have a lot of holes to fill, it will be interesting to see how the off-season pans out.