Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consider the scenerio

Banned

Consider the scenerio

If the Patriots lose next week to the cardinals, it is GUARANTEED that the week 17 showdown will be for the division.

That being said...Since we don't play until 4:15, If we know that the Patriots lost before our game starts, do we maybe rest a few of our big play guys in the 2nd half to give us a better chance to win week 17? Guys like Favre, Faneca, Jenkins....Guys that are in there every play and may be feeling the effects of Mangini's rigorous offseason program. Also, its would give the Phins less film to look at.

All Pro
    First of all, the Pats are NOT losing to the cards..Second of all, if the Jets cannot beat Seattle and Miami then they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Pennington View Post
    If the Patriots lose next week to the cardinals, it is GUARANTEED that the week 17 showdown will be for the division.

That being said...Since we don't play until 4:15, If we know that the Patriots lost before our game starts, do we maybe rest a few of our big play guys in the 2nd half to give us a better chance to win week 17? Guys like Favre, Faneca, Jenkins....Guys that are in there every play and may be feeling the effects of Mangini's rigorous offseason program. Also, its would give the Phins less film to look at.
    What about Miami? You have not even taken them into consideration. There will be no rest for the Jets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    What about Miami? You have not even taken them into consideration. There will be no rest for the Jets.
    If Miami wins and we lose week 17 will be for the division because we would have a chance to tie it up and win the tie breaker b/c we would then have swept them. It's only the pats that need to lose.

Veteran

it's still possible to go 10-6 and get in as a wildcard. no rest for the weary.

All League
    The more likely scenario is we lose in Seattle and Miami and NE Win, then we get the double edge sword. Beat the Dolphins and the Pat's are in lose to the Dolphins and the Phins are in....

We HAVE to win this week!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    The more likely scenario is we lose in Seattle and Miami and NE Win, then we get the double edge sword. Beat the Dolphins and the Pat's are in lose to the Dolphins and the Phins are in....

We HAVE to win this week!!!
    LOL...but I am saying is if we KNOW the pats lost.........the week 17 game is guaranteed to be for the division. THe only other consideration is wild card, but we could forego that to be well rested to win the division

Hall Of Fame
    We have to win, simple as that.

All Pro
    LOL...but I am saying is if we KNOW the pats lost.........the week 17 game is guaranteed to be for the division. THe only other consideration is wild card, but we could forego that to be well rested to win the division
    Your logic is correct, but I just don't see the Jets resting players like that. I think it would be too much of a blow in confidence to go 0-4 in the west coast.

However, I could see them pulling starters early if NE lost, if the game was more than 2 TDs either wya.

10 wins is a playoff spot. 11 wins could be a home game.

Rest in February.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Your logic is correct, but I just don't see the Jets resting players like that. I think it would be too much of a blow in confidence to go 0-4 in the west coast.

However, I could see them pulling starters early if NE lost, if the game was more than 2 TDs either wya.
    Don't think your logic holds up, since we would then be a lower seed if Denver wins.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsSpinner View Post
    10 wins is a playoff spot. 11 wins could be a home game.

Rest in February.
    If the Pats lose and the Jets lose, and the Jets beat the Dolphins, the Jets win the division with 10 wins, and get the home game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

I agree, I think that's how it will go down. If the Pats lose and we get off to a big lead we might see starters going to the bench before the 4th. Of course the pats probably won't lose and this will be moot.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Don't think your logic holds up, since we would then be a lower seed if Denver wins.
    We'd be a division winner, either playing Baltimore or Indy? Hmm, I guess I'd rather play Baltimore, so I see your point there. Oddly, if Baltimore loses, than the Jets could end up playing Miami or NE if they win out. (REALLY BIG IF)

Rookie
    If Miami wins and we lose week 17 will be for the division because we would have a chance to tie it up and win the tie breaker b/c we would then have swept them. It's only the pats that need to lose.
    If Miami and NE lose next week and we win... the division is locked up correct me if i'm wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Dude View Post
    If Miami and NE lose next week and we win... the division is locked up correct me if i'm wrong.
    That's wrong....if that happens week 17 will be for the division. b/c the fish could then beat us and we'd both have 10 wins and they'd win the tie breaker. I'm 99% sure if the Pats lose 1 game then week 17 is for the division no matter what.

Rookie
    That's wrong....if that happens week 17 will be for the division. b/c the fish could then beat us and we'd both have 10 wins and they'd win the tie breaker. I'm 99% sure if the Pats lose 1 game then week 17 is for the division no matter what.
    How do the phins get the tie breaker... I think your wrong here.

All League
    The Jets and Dolphins game will be for the division if both teams with next week I'm pretty sure. Both teams hold tie-breakers over them I believe. The Patriots don't control their own destiny.

If the Jets win out they're the 3rd seed.

If the Phins win out they'd actually be the 3rd seed too.

But if the Pats win out and the Ravens win out I believe the Ravens still hold a tie breaker over them

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Dude View Post
    How do the phins get the tie breaker... I think your wrong here.
    Miami would get the tie breaker if the lost next week then beat us week 17 because they would have the same head to head, same division record, and next is common opponents which miami would win.

All I know is I'm a huge Cardinal and Chiefs fan this weekend.