Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets are a top5 team

Veteran

Jets are a top5 team

You know what I see when I look at this roster: Tremendous Talent. I said this coming into the year and still believe it to be true. Look up and down this roster, look at our depth chart. I'm sorry, this is not a 9-7 team or a 10-6 team, this is a team that should be top 4 and contending for a superbowl IMO.

Mangini has handcuffed this squad since week 4.

Mike Holmgren, Bill Belicheck, Mike Shanahan, Andy Reid, John Fox, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin. Any of these guys would have this team 11-3 right now....EASY, EASY!!!

Say what you want about Herm Edwards, his play calling was ultra conservative (just like Mangini/Schott) and his time management was awful, but his teams showed up EVERY sunday. Herm did more with a lot less and one of the worst O-Cordinators I have ever seen.

Name one redeeming quality Mangini has as a head coach, NAME ONE! I have been watching football for a long time, and this is the first coach I have ever seen ON ANY LEVEL that doesn't make halftime adjustments, it is a joke. 3 offensive points in the second half because of a INT that gave us great field possition, TERRIBLE.

To sum up my post, a good head coach has this team at 11-3 and contending for home field advantage in the playoffs, thats how much talent this team has. A bad coach has us at 9-5 getting into the playoffs and losing in the first or second round. Trust me, we are 9-5 in spite of Mangini.

All League
    I think you're preaching to the choir.

All League
    The coaching cream rises to the top.
    Year after year, with a few down years here and there, the good coaches have their teams competitive.
    Cowher, Parcells, Fisher, Shanahan, Fox, Dungy, Belichik, Gruden, Holmgren, Reid.
    The crap settles to the bottom.
    Turner, Herm, Mangini.
    The Jets won't make the playoffs because of Mangini.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm not so crazy about our offensive weapons. We have no real #3 WR, and our TE play has been inconsistent. Our top 2 WRs are merely average.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I'm not so crazy about our offensive weapons. We have no real #3 WR, and our TE play has been inconsistent. Our top 2 WRs are merely average.
    Exactly. Cotchery has PLAYED average, but I believe has #1 reciever talent

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickLyle IZ GOD View Post
    Exactly. Cotchery has PLAYED average, but I believe has #1 reciever talent
    Elite WRs don't have many 1-catch games.

All Pro
    I can't stand Mangini, but we don't have any elite WR's. Cotchery is a very nice #2 and Coles is an aging #2, neither of them are bonafide #1's. It's also true that we don't have a true #3. Who knows what Stuckey, Clowney, etc. will develop into, but they certainly aren't #3's right now. And Brad Smith is a terrible WR IMO.

Rookie
    Wow...you guys have hit so many nails on the head, However, Mangini gets more blame than need be at this point. The defense has not really developed any chemistry, besides the strong play of Jenkins...we have been giving up to many points....we've got 2 games to get some momentum and make a run!!! GO JETS!!!

Rookie
    Coles probably was one a few years ago, but he's not anymore.

All Pro
    We do not have elite talent.

Where is our elite WR? Do not say Coles or Cotch is elite.
    Where is our elite DE? Ellis or Kenyon? Not elite.
    Where is our elite LBs? Pace is good, and Harris has promise, but elite?
    Where is our second or third elite Corner? The 35 year old guy, or the slow guy who was supposed to have great ball skill, but drops all the picks?

We have a couple legit pro bowlers. Revis probably, Thomas Jones (who a lot of guys said was a bad trade), Jenkins, maybe Farve (although that's more popularity), maybe Faneca or Mangold. Faneca shouldn't go, Mangold maybe, I don't know the AFC centers.

That's not elite. That's a big improvement over last year, but not elite.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    We do not have elite talent.

Where is our elite WR? Do not say Coles or Cotch is elite.
    Where is our elite DE? Ellis or Kenyon? Not elite.
    Where is our elite LBs? Pace is good, and Harris has promise, but elite?
    Where is our second or third elite Corner? The 35 year old guy, or the slow guy who was supposed to have great ball skill, but drops all the picks?

We have a couple legit pro bowlers. Revis probably, Thomas Jones (who a lot of guys said was a bad trade), Jenkins, maybe Farve (although that's more popularity), maybe Faneca or Mangold. Faneca shouldn't go, Mangold maybe, I don't know the AFC centers.

That's not elite. That's a big improvement over last year, but not elite.
    But by your standards then there are only a few truly elite players.

Cornerback: Champ Bailey. Quarterback: Brady and Peyton. Running back: AP. Wide Receiver: Moss.

I mean, there isn't really that much ELITE talent on the board. We definitely have better talent than most teams though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadOwnsBrady View Post
    But by your standards then there are only a few truly elite players.

Cornerback: Champ Bailey. Quarterback: Brady and Peyton. Running back: AP. Wide Receiver: Moss.

I mean, there isn't really that much ELITE talent on the board. We definitely have better talent than most teams though.
    We have better than average talent, and a better than average record.

There are 15-20 WR better than Cotch or Coles. I like Farve, but he is not top 5 in the league at this point. We don't have a #3 WR at all, unless you call Keller that. We run a 3-4 with no elite LBs. We have 1 very good safety, and 1 very god corner.

We have a great nose, a very good corner, and a RB who is having a very good year. But really, who else? Who else do you watch on a weekly basis and say "WOW".

Rookie
    We have better than average talent, and a better than average record.

There are 15-20 WR better than Cotch or Coles. I like Farve, but he is not top 5 in the league at this point. We don't have a #3 WR at all, unless you call Keller that. We run a 3-4 with no elite LBs. We have 1 very good safety, and 1 very god corner.

We have a great nose, a very good corner, and a RB who is having a very good year. But really, who else? Who else do you watch on a weekly basis and say "WOW".
    I'd say both Pace and Harris are between good and very good. I think Mangold and Brick are good. Rhodes, until this year, was an elite safety.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadOwnsBrady View Post
    I'd say both Pace and Harris are between good and very good. I think Mangold and Brick are good. Rhodes, until this year, was an elite safety.
    Pace and Harris are very good. Barton and Mr. Invisible are OK.

I'm not trying to nitpick, but I just don't think we have an elite talent level on this team. An elite D doesn't rank 30th in pass defense. Even when they blitz guys, they don't get there.

Rookie
    I know, I'm not saying we're an elite team.

All League
    Pace and Harris are very good. Barton and Mr. Invisible are OK.

I'm not trying to nitpick, but I just don't think we have an elite talent level on this team. An elite D doesn't rank 30th in pass defense. Even when they blitz guys, they don't get there.
    Absolutely 100% agree with you in this thread....sooo many people are overrating our talent,largely I think because they want to blame the coach for all our ills.....we are a very good team with the ability to get better....but I just don't see us being anywhere close to a team that will be a failure if it doesn't make the Super Bowl....I mean 11 months ago we were truly shocking,it just doesn't change round that quickly,we are on the right track and headed the right way....personally I'm enjoying that as much as anything

All League
    Exactly - Revis and Jenkins on defense and THAT IS IT. There is not one other elite player on that defense. On offense I think Brick and Mangold are up there with the top o-linemen; Leon is as good a 3rd-down back and kick returner as there is; Cotchery is above average and getting better. But that's pretty much it. People on this board overrate the Jets' talent by a lot. And it's why I say Tannenbaum (and people like Bradway, who advise him) deserve just as much criticism as Mangini.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLyle IZ GOD View Post
    You know what I see when I look at this roster: Tremendous Talent.
    Exactly where is all that "tremendous talent" on the Jets roster?

Other than Washington, the Jets have absolutely no "game changers" on either side of the ball.

The Jets 31st ranked secondary is a complete joke.

Your over-the-hill QB has yet to have a 300-yard passing game and leads the NFL in INT's.

So where is all this talent you see on the Jets roster?

Veteran
    ... we don't have depth either ...

... knock wood, we've been quite lucky to avoid the crippling injury bug this year ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Exactly - Revis and Jenkins on defense and THAT IS IT. There is not one other elite player on that defense. On offense I think Brick and Mangold are up there with the top o-linemen; Leon is as good a 3rd-down back and kick returner as there is; Cotchery is above average and getting better. But that's pretty much it. People on this board overrate the Jets' talent by a lot. And it's why I say Tannenbaum (and people like Bradway, who advise him) deserve just as much criticism as Mangini.
    Well in Tannenbaum's defense, he has improved the talent level over the last 2 years.

But here's a scary thought. Our front 7 has 1 starter under 28 years old. We can't keep trading up, they are getting some good players, but not enough. Also, our #1 Rb, QB, and #1A (Coles) are all getting up there in age.

The team needs alot of new blood to keep moving in the right direction, and drafting 4 players a year isn't going to help.