Brett Favre's World: It's All About Me, Myself, and I

by Sean Crowe (Senior Writer)

December 19, 2008
    NFL, AFC East, New York Jets, Brett Favre
    Today's Must Reads
    The Cleveland Browns' 12 Days of Christmas
    What To Expect from the Boxing World in 2009
    The 10 Sporting Events You Have To Attend Before You Die

Iím not the smartest guy I know. Iím not the smartest guy you know. I may not even be the smartest guy in the room Iím sitting in right now. But let me tell you how this would have gone had I been asked the question.

ďIím not thinking about retirement or anything else except the Seattle Seahawks. We have a chance to do something special here and my entire focus is on getting this team into the playoffs.Ē

You donít feed the vultures. You donít selfishly change the subject back to yourself. You deflect, you blow off the question, and you move on.

Brett Favre just canít do that.

ďIím well aware of the fact that thereís two games left. Iím expecting us to make the playoffs, as I hope the rest of the team is, but it very well could be my last. It could be my last three games, last four games, I donít know.Ē

Let the Brett Favre retirement speculation begin! Again!

Somewhere, someone in the Packersí front office has one of those ďI told you soĒ grins on his face.

Brett Favre loves to be the center of attention. He loves to be the topic of speculation. He loves to lead Sports Center and get mentioned a billion times on every sports web site.

Heís an ego maniac.

The sad part is, the guy the Jets released to make room for Favre has been the better quarterback this season. And Pennington comes relatively drama-free.
    Author Poll

Is this more proof that Favre is selfish, or is Sean just jumping at another opportunity to dump on the future hall of famer?

* Favre is a prima donna.
    * Sean just hates Favre and needs to get over himself.

vote to see results

The Dolphins, led by former Jet quarterback Chad Pennington, are the odds on favorite to win the AFC East right now.

And theyíll likely do it with a week 17 win over Brett Favre and the New York Jets.

Poetic justice is fun.

In the end, Brett Favre is what he is. He makes big plays, he makes big mistakes, and heís all about himself. December is about making the playoffs for some, itís about retirement speculation for Favre. The offseason is about getting ready for next season for most players, itís about holding press conferences and ďwill he or wonít he questionsĒ for Favre.

If the Jets are smart (highly doubtful, given their history) theyíll say goodbye to Favre when this seasonís over and never look back.

Maybe they can get Pennington back next season?

Sean Crowe covers the New England Patriots for Examiner.com and writes a bi-weekly column for Sports-Central.org.

Hall Of Fame
    Jesus, stop with these damn posts.

The biggest factor with Pennington this year has been his health AND the fact that he has been playing in a warmer climate, his shoulder can't take the northern climates anymore, and especially not the Meadowlands or any other northern climate stadium.

You will see the next two weeks, tomorrow in KC, the high temp for the game against the Chiefs will be 10 degrees. The warmer climate has been a big help on his shoulder, I knew when Pennington signed in Miami that playing in Miami would be helpful, but he will either break down or lose his effectiveness when the weather starts getting cold and the team has to travel in it.

All League
    Why would Chad want to come back to the Jets? He wants to win a Super Bowl!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    his shoulder can't take the northern climates anymore, and especially not the Meadowlands or any other northern climate stadium.
    And you know this how, Dr. Ray Ray? Last year's ineffectiveness was the ankle (and uncharacteristic mental mistakes), not the shoulder. He's going to light up the Chiefs; watch it and weep !

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He was asked if his mindset was any different since these might be his last games. He simply placed the question in his response. The statement was waaaaaay overblown and taken out of context.

Veteran
    Please......

Did anyone actually think that FAVRE would stay longer than a year, barring getting CLOSE to the SB?

He was a hired gun, plain and simple....

Maybe We Can Get Pennington Back
    Did you actually WATCH him play last season or did all the ducks and pick sixes disappear from your memory? I like Chad, and wish that things worked out better for him. The FO saw a chance to upgrade the QB position in the shortterm knowing they have to groom a franchise QB for the longterm. They took a shot.
    Did anyone see this season from Chad coming after last season?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kyhangdog View Post
    Brett Favre's World: It's All About Me, Myself, and I

by Sean Crowe (Senior Writer)

.................................................. ............................

Sean Crowe covers the New England Patriots for Examiner.com and writes a bi-weekly column for Sports-Central.org.
    Gee... I wonder if this guy's got an agenda or anything.

I'd love to see what he's written about the South Beach Noodle the last couple of years. I'd bet it rings just a wee bit different.

Veteran
    Brett Favre > Chad Pennington

Tucan Sam> Chad Pennington

Maybe we can get Bollinger back also?

What an asinine thread.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kyhangdog View Post

The Dolphins, led by former Jet quarterback Chad Pennington, are the odds on favorite to win the AFC East right now.

And theyíll likely do it with a week 17 win over Brett Favre and the New York Jets.

Veteran
    The difference in pennington's success this year is coaching. Plain and simple

Quote Originally Posted by Jman21 View Post
    Wrong.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MainManMickens24 View Post

Tucan Sam> Chad Pennington
    This coming from a man who has Vernon Gholston in his sig

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MainManMickens24 View Post

Delusional Jets fans.

All League
    I always stuck up for Pennington when he was a Jet, I think hes a very good QB. But most of the time,, if not ALWAYS, you have to surround a good QB with Quality talent to succeed. Favre is no Different than he was last year in GB, but the talent at WR here is too one dimentional and Favres league leading INT total brings that into clear view. I read people making statements like "the running game is better now because we have Favre" and I laugh at the stupidity of that statement. I guess Faneca and Woody have no impact on the running game . NOW if we had deep threats this statement would make much more sense, but unfortunately we dont.

While Favre and Pennington are too very Different QB's in some peoples eyes there is one place they are both very similar and thats the short passing game. Where they are very different is the Mental portion of the game and the medium range passing game. You could see when Pennington was looking to go deep as a Jet but 90 % of the time he checked down because no one ever got separation and throwing into deep coverage is a horribly low percentage pass and Chad will not make that pass. Favre heaves it up no matter what, giving the other team the ball back more often than not. Brett Favre has a very clear advantage in the medium range passing game due to his arm strength BUT over the past 4 weeks he has been off target. Is this a tired arm ? He seems to be throwing behind Recievers alot. Teams have tightened up on the short passing game that was working so successfully on our 5 game winning streak and NOW the Jets have no answer for it because our Recievers get no separation and because Favre has been off target. That along with our less than stellar coaching has made us an ordinary if not bad team over the past 3 weeks. DO THE BOLDED STAEMENTS ABOVE SOUND FAMILAR ?? Sure they do. There same things teams used to shut down Penny and miraculously its working aganist Favre as well. Its undeniable. What are the common denominators ? Recievers/Coaching/Pass Protection

The big question I ask is this. Since we now finally realize we need a playmaker at WR and not be bogged down with all posession Recievers will we finally make the move after 8 years ? Because you all know Parcells will be making some offensive moves in the offseason. If you surround a QB like Pennington with superior talent you know for a fact hes an accurate passer and he will get that talent the football. Parcells knows this, do the Jets brass know this applys to them and their team as well ? Just think of what the Jets would be if they had a Larry Fitzgerald or a Andre Johnson on the roster. Then all the options Favre brings to the table would be in play for the Jets. If they want to keep this guy around for one or even 2 more years they had better get some playmakers. Even if he decides to Retire We have Ratliff (or if some miracle happens we have Clemens) waiting in the wings and he has a big arm as well and a very strong pocket presence. So no matter who takes over the reigns next year we better get him the tools to win. Its realy that simple.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman21 View Post
    God I can not believe people are still lying to theirselfs....

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyB View Post
    Please......

Did anyone actually think that FAVRE would stay longer than a year, barring getting CLOSE to the SB?

He was a hired gun, plain and simple....

Did you actually WATCH him play last season or did all the ducks and pick sixes disappear from your memory? I like Chad, and wish that things worked out better for him. The FO saw a chance to upgrade the QB position in the shortterm knowing they have to groom a franchise QB for the longterm. They took a shot.
    Did anyone see this season from Chad coming after last season?
    yes, all good, but...what happens if he storms back into the meadowlands WEEK 17 with the playoffs and the division on the line and takes us out... i would like to think some heads would roll....in our FO...

All League
    This thread absolutely demands Dirtstar's "I CAN'T SEE S__T, I'M BLINDED BY PENNINGTOLOGY" photoshop.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS View Post
    God I can not believe people are still lying to theirselfs....
    Did you just make up that word?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Did you just make up that word?
    I make up words all the time on this FOOTBALL message board with a broken spellcheck.

I didnt know you won the spelling bee when you were 8