Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami @ Jets ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Miami @ Jets ~ ~ ~

Matchup tidbits : Interesting facts, figures for Week 17 games
    By PFW staff - Dec. 22, 2008

Note: Packers-Bears Monday-night game not included in statistics.

~ ~ Miami at N.Y. Jets

MIA 10TH OFF; NYJ 16TH DEF

MIA 13TH RUN; NYJ 9TH VS. RUN

MIA 11TH PASS; NYJ 17TH VS. PASS

MIA 21ST PTS; NYJ 6TH PTS ALLOWED

NYJ 16TH OFF; MIA 15TH DEF

NYJ 9TH RUN; MIA 10TH VS. RUN

NYJ 17TH PASS; MIA 25TH VS. PASS

NYJ 6TH PTS; MIA 11TH PTS ALLOWED

NYJ 13TH TO/TA; MIA 1ST TO/TA

NYJ HAS WON 8 OF ITS LAST 9 VS. MIA.

BRETT FAVRE LEADS THE NFL WITH 19 INTS.

CHAD PENNINGTON HAS ONLY THROWN 7 INTS.

NYJ HAS GIVEN UP AT LEAST 100 YARDS RUSHING IN 4 STRAIGHT GAMES.

JOEY PORTER IS 2ND IN THE NFL WITH 17.5 SACKS.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW.../tidbits17.htm

Hall Of Fame
    Posted: Monday December 22, 2008 9:12AM; Updated: Monday December 22, 2008 10:12AM

Peter King > MONDAY MORNING QB
    Revenge, thy name is Pennington: QB has chance to stick it to Jets

~ ~ ~ How could you not love this weekend if you love football?

Unless you're a Jets fan, of course.

Sandwiched by winning games from the Manning brothers, Week 16 had it all -- a playoff clinch from a team we left for long-term rebuilding last summer (Atlanta), a team continuing a rise from the coffin (San Diego) while another sinks into despair (Denver) , the weirdest turnaround in the star-crossed history (and this is saying something) of the New York Football Jets, the amazing and deep Tennessee defense beating almighty Pittsburgh with a front not including Vanden Bosch and Haynesworth but with guys named Hayes, Brown, Jones, Ball and Gordon, and the emotion of Craig Stadler's Mike Holmgren's last home game in a city where he revived pro football.But my favorite thing of Week 16 is what it leads to: the ultimate revenge game, from the most gentlemanly NFL player of our time, Chad Pennington. He kicks off my little review of the week that was.

You saw this happening on that dark August night in Cleveland, didn't you, Chad? "I have to say this,'' Pennington said, and it was hard to hear him above the din from the Dolphins' happy voices on the charter as it prepared to leave Kansas City last night. "My wife and I talked about this around midseason. We said to each other: 'It's going to come down to the last game. It has to. There's really no other way.' ''Miami (10-5) needs to win at the 9-6 Jets on Sunday for the strangest division title in its history. Strange, because Miami was 1-15 last year, and because the Jets had this division copped a month ago after they won at New England and Tennessee in successive weeks, and because the Jets have lost three of their last four -- three games they were favored to win. And because Sunday brings Pennington back to Giants Stadium, where he quarterbacked the Jets for much of eight seasons before being benched for Kellen Clemens in midseason last year, and before being released by the team this year to make way for Brett Favre.

I'll tell you the most amazing thing: In the last week or so, I've actually heard callers to New York sports-talk radio saying they wish they had Pennington back. Instead of Favre. And if you'd heard the same callers (or from the same ilk, at least) shoveling dirt on him last season and preparing the ticker-tape for the Welcome Brett parade in August ... well, let's just say this is one of the most interesting stories, and turnarounds, in recent sports history. Favre under-throwing receiver after receiver in Seattle and playing mediocre football for the past month while the Jets burned, with Pennington piloting an 8-1 Miami run to the doorstep of the playoffs. Now, if Miami wins Sunday at East Rutherford, the Dolphins win the AFC East and host a wild-card game. The only way the jillionaire Jets make the playoffs is with a win and either a New England loss in Buffalo or a Baltimore loss to Jacksonville.

"Only fate would have it this way,'' Pennington said. "It what's great about sports -- it always comes to something like, or at least it seems that way. To have it come down to the final game, in New York, well, it's amazing.''

Pennington was released by the Jets when GM Mike Tannenbaum engineered the trade for Favre. He was told about the release at 11:30 on a Wednesday night at the Jets' hotel in Cleveland before the preseason opener he was going to start. He was on a plane home to New York the next day, and in Miami 48 hours later, a Dolphin.He told me he hadn't been back to the New York area since that Saturday in August. His wife handled all the house closings and business aspects of his move. "My wife is absolutely amazing,'' Pennington said. "She took care of everything on the move. We'd just bought a house in New Jersey because the Jets were moving the complex out there (from Long Island), and we had to eat some cash on that move, but we were able to sell. This will be my first time back.''

Pennington said he would "try everything in my power to stay calm and focused Sunday. The first game we played against them, in Miami, helped me out a lot because I got the chance to see a lot of people who I'd known for a long time.''Bitterness? He's got to have some, but he's never let it bubble to the surface. He won't now. "Well, if you rehash it and think about it, getting released definitely hurts,'' Pennington said. "You're on a team for a long time, and it's always one for all and all for one, and one day you realize they don't want you anymore after being on that team for so long. There's an emotional part to football and a business part, and the emotional part hurts, but I understand the business part. But instead of throwing a pity party about it, I choose to go play football and move on.''

Pennington had no choice midway through the third quarter at Kansas City, as the somnambulant Chiefs woke up for a weekend and took a 31-24 lead with nine minutes left. The 15 or 20 friends and relatives in the stands got excited. Then Pennington and that Wildcat Formation took over. The Dolphins went 60 yards in five plays to tie it, and in the fourth quarter, Pennington went seven-of-seven on a 13-play, 85-yard drive covering more than eight minutes. His 14-yard pass to new BFF Anthony Fasano (Pennington, in New York, and Fasano, in Dallas, were both drafted by Bill Parcells) made it 38-31.

Only in the NFL. Now Pennington, making a late run at the MVP, plays the game of his life. I was surprised the NFL made Denver-San Diego the prime time game in Week 17 for NBC. Miami-New York, and Pennington-Favre, is the game of the week.

~ ~ Goat of the Week

DeSean Jackson, WR, Philadelphia. It was either Jackson as goat of the week, or the 45 men who dressed for the New York Jets in Seattle.

~ What I Learned About Football This Week That I Didn't Know Last Week

Leon Washington fools defenses with his eyes when he runs.
    Washington, the explosive Jets' multi-purpose back, has this interesting way of making defenders miss. Instead of looking at the hole where he intends to run, or looking at the man he intends to try to run over, he looks elsewhere and spies his hole through peripheral vision only.

"So you'll never want to wear one of those tinted visors on your helmet?'' I asked him the other day.

"Noooooo,'' he said. "I want them to see my eyes. I played [defensive back] as well as running back in high school in Florida, and I know how important it was to see a running back's eyes. A lot of times that tells you where he's going.''This dates back to growing up in Jacksonville and playing a game in the neighborhood called Hotball. Up to 20 kids would play. One kid would take a football and try to avoid every other tackler, all trying to tackle and pummel him on a wide field. "When you try to make 20 people miss,'' Washington said, "you really work on your peripheral vision. I use that today-- I make guys miss by not looking at him.

"It happened last week against Buffalo. The safety was running straight at me when I got past the line of scrimmage, and I'm looking off to the side but I see him coming, and then I cut upfield to miss him. When I cut upfield, he had no idea I was cutting, because he hadn't seen me looking there.''I'm sure other backs must do variations of this, but it's amazing to me that a man could have such good peripheral vision that he can make people miss by seeing them solely out of the corner of his eyes.

> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...k16/index.html

Hall Of Fame
    Posted on Monday, 12.22.08
    Favre vs. Pennington in season finale is fitting
    By ISRAEL GUTIERREZ - igutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

> http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fo...ry/822238.html

kelly can you stop being a robot

tell us how you really feel about the jets

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsrule128 View Post
    kelly can you stop being a robot

tell us how you really feel about the jets
    if we can't score more than 3 points against seattle then , we don't deserve to be in the playoffs . .

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame
    For Patriots, it’s up to Brett Favre again : Hope he delivers this time
    By John Tomase - Boston Herald
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008

> http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...40830&srvc=rss

Hall Of Fame
    Mangini, Jets could dictate Patriots’ fate
    01:00 AM EST on Tuesday, December 23, 2008
    BY SHALISE MANZA YOUNG - Journal Sports Writer

> http://www.projo.com/patriots/conten...9.382e790.html

Hall Of Fame
    PFW Staff Selections : Week 17 consensus selections
    By PFW staff - Dec. 23, 2008

The PFW consensus went 7-9 with its straight-up picks in Week 16, improving its season-to-date record to 153-85-1, a .643 winning percentage. The selections against the spread didn't fare as well, going 3-13, dropping the season record is to four games below breakeven. And an 0-4 record on best bets left the season-to-date record at just four games above .500. The consensus also lost its weekly over/under best bet (Texans-Raiders, over 44), dropping its over/under best-bet season record to 11-5. The over/under best bets are shown only in the print edition.

Early Las Vegas line PFW Consensus

Sunday afternoon
    ATLANTA -13½ vs. St. Louis St.L.*
    BALTIMORE-11½ vs. Jacksonville (35½) Balt.
    New England -6½ vs. BUFFALO (42½) N.E.
    CINCINNATI -3 vs. Kansas City (37½) Cin.
    GREEN BAY -11 vs. Detroit (43) G.B.
    HOUSTON -3 vs. Chicago Hou.
    Tennessee -3 vs. INDIANAPOLIS (40) Tenn.
    MINNESOTA -3½ vs. N.Y. Giants NYG*
    NEW ORLEANS -3½ vs. Carolina Car.
    N.Y. JETS -3 vs. Miami (41) NYJ
    PHILADELPHIA E vs. Dallas (42) Dal.
    PITTSBURGH -13 vs. Cleveland Pitt.
    TAMPA BAY -13 vs. Oakland (39) T.B.
    ARIZONA -3½ vs. Seattle (45) Ariz.
    SAN FRANCISCO -3 vs. Washington (37) S.F.

Sunday night
    SAN DIEGO -9 vs. Denver (50) Den.*

Last week vs. spread 3-13
    Season to date vs. spread 115-119-5
    Last week best bets 0-4
    Season to date best bets 33-29-2
    Last week straight-up 7-9
    Season to date straight-up 153-85-1

The above selections and lines were made on Sunday, Dec. 21. Home team in CAPS. (*) denotes team will cover pointspread but lose game. Boldface selection indicates best bet.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...008/sels17.htm

Hall Of Fame
    Jets' Ellis fined $10K
    Associated Press - Updated: December 23, 2008, 12:48 PM ET

> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3789762

Hall Of Fame
    What A Script For Dolphins And Pennington
    December 23, 2008

> http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...contentID=6284

Hall Of Fame
    Jets show weaknesses Dolphins can exploit
    By BARRY JACKSON - bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

> http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fo...ry/824676.html

Hall Of Fame
    Pennington's magic ride could ruin Jets' season
    By John Clayton / ESPN.com

> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...e=john_clayton

Hall Of Fame
    Key matchups for Sunday's Dolphins-Jets game
    By Omar Kelly | SunSentinel.com

> http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...,1254837.story

Hall Of Fame
    Washington hopes to spark Jets
    Saturday, December 27, 2008
    BY J.P. PELZMAN / STAFF WRITER

> http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/36773654.html

Hall Of Fame
    Favre peers through looking glass in rematch with Pennington
    By Thomas George | NFL.com - Senior Columnist

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Hall Of Fame
    Week 17: Dolphins vs. Jets Preview

> http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d99c48

Hall Of Fame
    JETS CONTINUE TO MONKEY WITH INJURY REPORT
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

Ever since Eric Mangini became the head coach of the New York Jets, the New York Jets apparently have been screwing around with the injury report.

And now that a mini-feeding frenzy has emerged in the New York media regarding Mangini’s job status, the New York media seems to be paying closer attention to Mangini’s history of injury reporting. (Dan Leberfeld, as you may recall, tried to take this specific bull by the horns earlier in the year.)

The New York Times recently took an in-depth look at the habits of the Mangini regime, specifically as it relates to the failure to disclose hamstring injuries.

Ever.

Well, almost ever.

Per the Times, a total of 1,154 hamstring injuries have been disclosed by the 32 franchises since the start of the 2006 season. The Jets have accounted for only one of them — receiver Tim Dwight, in 2006.Dwight’s injury was listed as a thigh for multiple weeks. Once, it was called a hamstring injury. And then it flipped back to thigh.The article contains quotes from various persons, including Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, who offered up this intriguing little nugget: “You have to give as much information as you possibly can during the course of the injury deal. If it’s a hamstring injury, it’s a hamstring injury. If it’s a thigh injury, it’s a thigh injury.”

The irony, of course, is that Sparano is the latest disciple of the mentor of the mentor of Mangini. Specifically, Bill Parcells taught Bill Belichick everything he knows about secrecy in the sport, and Belichick then conveyed it to Mangini.And, this year, the Dolphins have had a surprising run of good health. Or, alternatively, they have adopted a very, very high bar for what actually constitutes an injury.

Back to the Jets, there’s one other issue regarding the injury reports not mentioned by the Times. Earlier this week, quarterback Brett Favre whined about his throwing shoulder. Apparently, the 39-year-old body part is wearing down after 15 regular-season football games.But, of course, Favre’s name doesn’t appear on the Week Seventeen injury report — even though the textbook definition of the term “probable” (i.e., virtual certainty that the player will be available for normal duty) indicates that any injury should be disclosed — even if its virtually certain not to prevent the player from playing.

> http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

JETS CONTINUE TO MONKEY WITH INJURY REPORT

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

Ever since Eric Mangini became the head coach of the New York Jets, the New York Jets apparently have been screwing around with the injury report.
    What a friggn' scumbag of a HC.

Ratgini has no morals or principles.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    What a friggn' scumbag of a HC.

Ratgini has no morals or principles.
    Where does one learn such things?

Weslyan?