Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glazer says Cowher is interested

Practice Squad

Glazer says Cowher is interested

Jay Glazer was just on with Boomer and Carton, and he said he has heard from multiple sources that the Jets job is one of the few jobs Bill Cowher has interest in. Glazer then asked Boomer for his opinion, and he gave the "No comment, I can't talk about that.....sworn to secretcy angle." If Cowher has any interest, ANY interest - Woody must open up the checkbook and go get him! He and Tanny need can work together and get us to our ulitmate goal. A Super Bowl - give him a 5 year deal with a blank check. Get him and he immeditely becomes the best HC this franchise has ever had. Bottom line - get it done!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumps View Post
    Jay Glazer was just on with Boomer and Carton, and he said he has heard from multiple sources that the Jets job is one of the few jobs Bill Cowher has interest in. Glazer then asked Boomer for his opinion, and he gave the "No comment, I can't talk about that.....sworn to secretcy angle." If Cowher has any interest, ANY interest - Woody must open up the checkbook and go get him! He and Tanny need can work together and get us to our ulitmate goal. A Super Bowl - give him a 5 year deal with a blank check. Get him and he immeditely becomes the best HC this franchise has ever had. Bottom line - get it done!!!!!
    He's not even close to Parcells.

Hall Of Fame
    I think that guy who invented the 'QB pocket' was pretty good.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Cowher gives you something the Tuna doesn't - stability. The Tuna is a 3 year and done guy. Cowher will stay until the job is done, just ask the guys in Pittsburgh. Get Cowher now!!!!!
    Last edited by Dumps; 12-29-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Yes, he is. In one sense, he offers more than parcells in the stability he brings. His reign in pittsburgh was twice as long as parcells longest stint, which was with the giants.

I would still prefer parcells but that doesn't mean bill is better.

Rookie
    Cowher gives you something the Tuna doesn't - stability. The Tuna is a 3 year and done guy. Cowher will stay until the job is done, just ask the guys in Pittsburgh. Get Cowher now!!!!!
    How do you know that???? he did it once and it took a long time. One time is not enough to make a trend. He could spend 3 years remaking the team in his image with no super bowl and the fans here will be calling for his ouster at that time.

It took Cowher a long time to land a superbowl in Pittsburg and that was only because ownership and the fans were patient. Jets fans and it appears ownership are not that patient.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ptath2 View Post
    How do you know that???? he did it once and it took a long time. One time is not enough to make a trend. He could spend 3 years remaking the team in his image with no super bowl and the fans here will be calling for his ouster at that time.

It took Cowher a long time to land a superbowl in Pittsburg and that was only because ownership and the fans were patient. Jets fans and it appears ownership are not that patient.
    I'm not arguing if Cowher can or cannot deliver a SB. I am just going on past experience here. Tuna sticks around for a few years and leaves. Cowher stays, the franchise needs stability now. And based on the past Coach Cowher provides that, whereas the Tuna doesn't. Plus, we have already been there done that with Tuna - if I recall, he didn't deliver a SB. Go get Bill Cowher. He has all the intangiables this orginization is lacking!

All Pro
    I can only see the Mangini firing as a positive if we can get Cowher! Mangini obviously was in over his head but I really don't want to bring in another coach who wants to completely revamp and redesign everything we do on both sides of the ball! Mangini spent 3 years bringing in "his players" to play the 3-4 and I don't want to be in the same situation we were in when Herm was let go! I don't want to see another 3 years of "we're building ****"!

Practice Squad
    Notice that he says the Jets are one of the teams that Cowher is considering; not the only one or the top one.

I have a hard time imagining that a class act like Bill Cowher will come to work for an owner who blew up an entire season so he could sell his PSL's at exorbitant prices to vapid fat cats.

Coach Cowher will have no trouble getting big bucks whereever he goes, so the check book alone won't bring him. He has one ring already and, like other good NFL coaches, he is sick and tired of hearing "Bill Belichick's Three Rings This" and "Bill Belichick's Four SB's that." He'll go where he thinks he has the best chance of winning and, let's face it, a franchise that hasn't gone to a SB in 40 years is not likely to be his final destination.

Super Bowl appearances are won on the field, but they start in the Front Office.

You said that Cowher would be the best coach in Jets history if they brought him on. That's not true... Parcells is a much better coach than Cowher.

Practice Squad
    You said that Cowher would be the best coach in Jets history if they brought him on. That's not true... Parcells is a much better coach than Cowher.
    Again, been there done that with Tuna. No reason to do it again, didn't deliver an SB then, so no need to go back to that well. He has exactly one more SB win then Cowher does, and he's most recent one came 18, almost 19 years ago. He's up there in age and not the right fit anymore. Cowher is, firey-young-and someone who will not be outcoached by Belicheat. He brings exactly what this franchise needs right now - stability. And he will win.

I'm surprised to see so much enthusiasm for Cowher here. He is a successful coach to be sure, but he is also one of Belichick's favorite whipping boys. I would think Jets fans would take a pass on him for that reason alone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I think that guy who invented the 'QB pocket' was pretty good.

+1

All League
    Charter JI Member

I think there are two big reasons why he would come here.

First - I think he sees the potential talent on this team - despite the obvious QB issue.

Second - I really don't think he wants full control. He doesn't come off as a big gm personnel guy. While I am certain he will want final say on personnel decisions, I don't think he wants to be relied on to run the whole ship. With Tannebaum in place he gets that here.

Other places like Cleveland, Detroit even St. Louis are going to angle at him with the whole thing.....just got a funny feeling he doesn't want ALL of that responsibility.

Banned
    I want Cowher, I think, but what if he is the Brett Favre of head coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCFan View Post
    Notice that he says the Jets are one of the teams that Cowher is considering; not the only one or the top one.

I have a hard time imagining that a class act like Bill Cowher will come to work for an owner who blew up an entire season so he could sell his PSL's at exorbitant prices to vapid fat cats.

Coach Cowher will have no trouble getting big bucks whereever he goes, so the check book alone won't bring him. He has one ring already and, like other good NFL coaches, he is sick and tired of hearing "Bill Belichick's Three Rings This" and "Bill Belichick's Four SB's that." He'll go where he thinks he has the best chance of winning and, let's face it, a franchise that hasn't gone to a SB in 40 years is not likely to be his final destination.

Super Bowl appearances are won on the field, but they start in the Front Office.
    I think Cowher could get a Co-GM billing as well. Tanny's first a cap guy. He knows his role. He's also thanking his lucky stars he's employed right now. He knows and likes his place.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ptath2 View Post

not true he had alot of winning seasons and won alot of confrence championships i his time and his teams were fun to watch you knew you had a chance in every game. So i def think we need cowher.........

Veteran
    When is the last time that Tuna won a SB?

Hall Of Fame
    Cowher was a HUGE underacheiver (playoff success wise) until the one year (out of 15) that he actually won the superbowl. I don't get the utter love affair people have with the guy other than he looks the part. Should he be a candidate? For sure, his credentials make him one of the candidates but should he be the slam dunk guy? Not at all in my opinion.

All Pro
    agreed Dumps-It's high time we cut the cord from "the Tribe" (as Parcerlls called it) tree...get THIS Jets fan Bill Cowher and lock him up with a ten year contract