Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just In Case You're Still Confused - It's About THE PSL's, People

Banned

Just In Case You're Still Confused - It's About THE PSL's, People

Every move that Woody made in 2008 and every move that Woody will make in 2009 is all about selling his PSL's and getting himself and his family out of hundreds of millions of dollars of stadium debt.

It's not about long-term commitment to a winning program. It's not about doing what's right for the franchise. It's about paying the bills.

I say this because I'm reading lots of theories behind Woody's motivation. There is no question. Look no further. Favre's circus act is just the beginning. Woody's got less than 12 weeks before the PSL commitments begin. A big name, well-respected head coach along with Favre is what it will take.

Clemens + Mangini = Mountain Of Debt

Favre + Cowher = PSL Frenzy

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-29-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Careful SAR....DBAKE is about to call this the most ridiculous post he's ever read....just a warning....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Every move that Woody made in 2008 and every move that Woody will make in 2009 is all about selling his PSL's and getting himself and his family out of hundreds of millions of dollars of stadium debt.

It's not about long-term commitment to a winning program. It's not about doing what's right for the franchise. It's about paying the bills.

SAR I
    we'll wtf is the sense?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    Careful SAR....DBAKE is about to call this the most ridiculous post he's ever read....just a warning....
    I've been travelling back from New York today and just started reading and I can't believe how many posters think that PSL's are a non-factor.

Crazy talk.

SAR I

All Pro

I say this because I'm reading lots of theories behind Woody's motivation. There is no question. Look no further. Favre's circus act is just the beginning. Woody's got less than 12 weeks before the PSL commitments begin. A big name, well-respected head coach along with Favre is what it will take.

SAR I
    You got that right!

All Pro
    Wouldn't PSL's sell regardless of Favre anyway?

All League
    My biggest fear could be realized...At this point...barring a Super Bowl victory next year he will get the same amount for his PSLs as if they were 9-7...

If he wants to make his money back he needs to get a home game in the playoffs every year... If he hires Callahan, Westhoff or someone from the Favre chain then we know it is about PSLs.

If he gets Cowher Spagnolo, Billick or another hot assistant they we know it is about Wins and Losses and the rest will take care of itself. While he may like to keep Favre around, odds are this is his last year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

QFT

Sucks that's the way it is though.

All League
    I've been travelling back from New York today and just started reading and I can't believe how many posters think that PSL's are a non-factor.

Crazy talk.

SAR I
    I've gotta agree....I've said it too....Woody is a businessman first and a football owner second....I do however think that winning will sell PSL's therefore, Woody needs to make some sound football decisions for the future of his franchise and fortunes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My biggest fear could be realized...At this point...barring a Super Bowl victory next year he will get the same amount for his PSLs as if they were 9-7...

If he wants to make his money back he needs to get a home game in the playoffs every year... If he hires Callahan, Westhoff or someone from the Favre chain then we know it is about PSLs.

If he gets Cowher Spagnolo, Billick or another hot assistant they we know it is about Wins and Losses and the rest will take care of itself. While he may like to keep Favre around, odds are this is his last year.
    Here's the worst-case-scenario:

Woody's spending spree to drum up publicity and sell PSL's does the trick financially but dooms the team in 2010 and beyond as they are capped out, old, lacking draft picks, and at the bottom of the AFC East.

Here's the best-case-scenario:

Woody's learned his lesson of Herman Edwards and knows now that it's best to cut bait with a bad HC a year too early than a year too late. He also understands the marquis value of a franchise QB in the mold of a Namath or a Favre in a big media market. He now understands that teams like Jones' Cowboys and Bowlen's Broncos have been able to over-spend without capping out and put competitive teams on the field every year. The combination of the signing of (Big Name HC Here) and the spending on free agents gives the Jets a few years of a run before we get young for the future while remaining in playoff contention each year.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    I've gotta agree....I've said it too....Woody is a businessman first and a football owner second....I do however think that winning will sell PSL's therefore, Woody needs to make some sound football decisions for the future of his franchise and fortunes.
    My honest opinion:

Woody almost accidentally struck gold this season with his publicity stunts and its a good thing that he's this motivated by money.

Seems to me that any owner of any franchise that isn't money hungry is doomed to losing. Woody's learning the hard way, but he's learning. If we can't draft a franchise QB, fine, keep buying them. If one HC bombs after two seasons, fine, keep the coaching staff and buy a new HC.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Woody is a business man? That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post

All Pro
    Here's the worst-case-scenario:

Woody's spending spree to drum up publicity and sell PSL's does the trick financially but dooms the team in 2010 and beyond as they are capped out, old, lacking draft picks, and at the bottom of the AFC East.

Here's the best-case-scenario:

Woody's learned his lesson of Herman Edwards and knows now that it's best to cut bait with a bad HC a year too early than a year too late. He also understands the marquis value of a franchise QB in the mold of a Namath or a Favre in a big media market. He now understands that teams like Jones' Cowboys and Bowlen's Broncos have been able to over-spend without capping out and put competitive teams on the field every year. The combination of the signing of (Big Name HC Here) and the spending on free agents gives the Jets a few years of a run before we get young for the future while remaining in playoff contention each year.

SAR I
    I can't understand why Woody would want to imitate the dysfunctional
    Cowboys or Broncos. Maybe he would. I'm sure Jones would sell him TO
    at this point and Cutler didn't look all that great yesterday, maybe Bowlen
    might sell him too.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Speaking of PSL's.......has anyone received their letter yet to choose their spot?

All League

SAR I
    You state this like it's some sort of newly conceived rocket science...and really, it's not. It ALWAYS about the money...football is a business.

And, I buy your opinion about Cowher...but not so sure about Favre, who alienated a farily large part of the fanbase this season with the fade-o down the stretch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I can't understand why Woody would want to imitate the dysfunctional
    Cowboys or Broncos. Maybe he would. I'm sure Jones would sell him TO
    at this point and Cutler didn't look all that great yesterday, maybe Bowlen
    might sell him too.
    At $400 for preseason corner endzone seat, the Jets need to be entertaining.

You can't guarantee the playoffs every season, but you can guarantee the circus freaks, the clowns, and the confetti. In a perfect, Yankee-type world you can get both. In the NFL, you need to exectute one plan and hope for the other.

SAR I

All Pro
    Well then the PSL's may be the best thing to ever happen to this team.

Because if we get Cowher, hes a guy that will turn around this team for the next decade.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    You state this like it's some sort of newly conceived rocket science...and really, it's not. It ALWAYS about the money...football is a business.

And, I buy your opinion about Cowher...but not so sure about Favre, who alienated a farily large part of the fanbase this season with the fade-o down the stretch.
    No, am certainly not claiming it as rocket science. Just trying to clarify it for those that don't get it.

Whether or not Favre actually was hurt or not down the stretch means nothing; so long as the perception can be "oh, well he was hurt in December and that's why he played so badly" that's all it will take to sell those PSL's.

Brett Favre holds all the cards. If he wanted Mangini gone, Mangini's gone. If he won't come back, Woody will do whatever it takes to get him back. Woody's in a terrible spot:

1. Massive failure after 8-3 start.

2. Giants the #1 seed, headed towards another Lombardi.

3. Yankees and Mets spending tons of money on free agents, all with their own season tickets to sell in their new stadiums.

4. Rangers and Knicks about to be in a similar situation next season with their refurbished MSG.

5. Awful economy.

6. Angry fanbase.

7. Terrible PR from blown PSL auction scheme.

Favre is Woody's meal ticket unless another marquis name comes along from the coaching ranks. A Bill Cowher could create enough of a buzz to sell the PSL's without Favre, but anything short of that is financial suicide.

The circus may not be as what it used to be, and you can cut back on things like popcorn, but the last thing you do is fire the Bearded Lady if she's the only worthwhile attraction on the playbill.

SAR I

All Pro

SAR I

I don't care if it's about running over dogs as long as it brings us a Lombardi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Well then the PSL's may be the best thing to ever happen to this team.

Because if we get Cowher, hes a guy that will turn around this team for the next decade.
    Yes, exactly.

The PSL's are inadvertantly turning our passive, sleepy, wealthy, silver-spooned owner into an animal. He's getting all the free agents he can, he's cutting all the dead weight he can, all to make us fans happy.

Now, it would be nice if he did that since 2000 just because its what he should be doing, but that's a different argument for a different day.

I'll take Woody Steinbrenner over Woody Marshmallow any day of the week. If it's because of hundreds of millions of dollars in debt over personal seat licenses, so be it.

SAR I