Thread: early indications point to COWHER...(PFT)

early indications point to COWHER...(PFT)

COWHER TO JETS?
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2008, 9:53 p.m. EST
    So we turn on ESPN to watch a few minutes of the Vandalay Alamo Bowl, and we see on the scroll a report from ESPN 1050’s Andrew Marchand that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher could be interested in coaching the New York Jets.

The disclosure comes two days after Coach Chin pulled the “it’s not you, it’s me” routine on the Browns, telling owner Randy Lerner that Cowher isn’t interested in coaching the Browns in 2009 because he’s not interested in coaching any team in 2009.

But with Eric Mangini gone and the Jets needing to sell PSLs in a PS poor economy, Cowher might not be able to resist the pile of money that Woody Johnson plunks on his doorstep.

When we heard rumors of the Browns wanting Cowher, the price tag was in the neighborhood of $8 million to $9 million per year.

Boomer Esiason, who sits next to Cowher on the CBS dais (which is sort of like having a front-row seat for the Shamu show), tells Bob Glauber of Newsday that Cowher could be enticed but a sufficiently large financial offer.

Like, say, $10 million per year.

Said Esiason: “I would say, ‘Take the job. You’re working in the biggest city and the biggest fish bowl in the world, but you should do it.’”

The problem, however, is that Cowher will want both cash and control. So G.M. Mike Tannenbaum might have to give up some authority.

Or, possibly, Cowher might tell Johnson that Tannenbaum needs to go.

Look for the same self-preservation gene that enabled Tannenbaum to skillfully direct the blame for the team’s performance in 2008 to Mangini to activate, presumably by Tannenbaum looking for an appropriate way to suggest to Johnson that Cowher might not be the best “fit” for the franchise.

Especially since Cowher’s first order of business could be to try to “fit” Tannenbaum out the door.

I really dont see why Cowher will have a problem with the Tannenbaum/control controversey. GM's and Coaches communicate with eachother and work together to get the players they desire and need. With Cowher, Tannenbaum will respect his opinion even more and that will most factor in even more in decisions. I dont feel you need to just get rid of Tannenbaum though.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't see why they can't share.

Tanny can do the business/cap side and Cowher could do the coaching/talent side. Tanny could offer his input to Cowher and they can discuss it together.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I don't see why they can't share.

Tanny can do the business/cap side and Cowher could do the coaching/talent side. Tanny could offer his input to Cowher and they can discuss it together.
    no problem for Cower but it would be a step back for Tanny.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    no problem for Cower but it would be a step back for Tanny.
    Well, if he wants to see this team win and if he wants to sell his beloved PSLs then he'll hire Cowher.

He's next on Woody Johnson's X-list anyway.

Undrafted Free Agent
    if it is cowher, trust me, tanenbaum is lucky enough to have a job, he could have been gone with mangini, he will take a back seat, and go back to role of capologist

Hall Of Fame
    Cowher wouldn't want more control than Mangini had over personnel which was significant.

TBomb was always the $$$ guy; Mangini was always the skill/scheme guy.

It would take $10-12 million dollars a year with a wacky contract as TBomb only can draft.

But I guarantee you Woody will catch his fish if he throws the right bait at it.

At this point, he can't afford anything less than a marquee name. There's no way otherwise.

He has to dish out to put a name worth watching in the coming years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lyons93 View Post
    if it is cowher, trust me, tanenbaum is lucky enough to have a job, he could have been gone with mangini, he will take a back seat, and go back to role of capologist
    Your right. And its beyond a joke that people think Mr. T could possibly cause a problem.

What happened to our old GM? oh yea, hes still employed by our team and its not a problem at all. What about before that? Well Mike was there, and it was no problem at all. If Cowher comes Mike can still be here helping out--The guy is a lawyer, not a scout. In no way, shape, or form will he be the reason cowher doesnt come here.

I dont see why Tanni cant go out the door. Listen this franchise is a mess no future QB to replace Farve. Only a few players in the draft that were direct hits Harris, Revis, and Leon Washington. The Jets might even be in salary cap hell within the next couple of years with the amount of high priced free agents bought on board last year. Honestly I rather bring on someone who has experience and knows what he is doing then allow JR to stay.
    I love Cowher to come in as VP of football operations like Parcells did. Coach this team for a couple of years then retire upstairs and Stay as VP of football operations for the next 30 years instead of ditching the Jets like Parcells did

Undrafted Free Agent
    the fact that tanenbaum is still aboard maybe points to parcells..there is a huge connection between the two of them, and if you remember when mangini was hired, parcell was rumored to leave dallas and come aboard as gm....francesca said today to "forget about Cowher"...and then said the jets want a short term solution to work with favre....if they already had cowher, to retain tanenbaum makes little sense,...but if they already have parcells (who always sends out his feelers) , it makes a lot of sense to keep tanenbaum,,,
    just a hunch...the jets are "trying" to get cowher, and will interview the obvious people, but they are going to settle on parcells.. huzienga said that once the fish play their final game, the sale could go through as quickly as 2 days later...(my opinion is they lose this week to the ravens..he always had trouble against a big pass rush)...
    thoughts?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    Your right. And its beyond a joke that people think Mr. T could possibly cause a problem.

What happened to our old GM? oh yea, hes still employed by our team and its not a problem at all. What about before that? Well Mike was there, and it was no problem at all. If Cowher comes Mike can still be here helping out--The guy is a lawyer, not a scout. In no way, shape, or form will he be the reason cowher doesnt come here.
    exactly