Thread: Woody and Tanny really do not want Favre back

Woody and Tanny really do not want Favre back

but what else do you expect them to say?

They have eyes and know that Favre's recklessness fueled the fire of the Jets collapse. But they can not say, "Oh yeah, no way do we want Favre back, we'd rather go with an unproven QB". This would be an acknowledgement that the trade for Favre was at best a mistake and at worst a complete failure.

They also know Favre is a premadonna. If they say he should not come back, that will just make him want to come back even more. Plus, he will know then that Woody and Tanny think he didn't do the job, which could cause Favre to go negative on the Jets.

They are aware that a part of the fan base wants Favre back, so why anger the Fan base needlessly. Favre says even he does not know IF he wants to come back. But Woody and Tanny told him he has to make a decision by the time of the NFL Combine, he will be expected to fully participate in the Jets offseason program, and will have to either Rehab or get surgery for his shoulder. Since Favre is a guy who last "retired" because he couldn't participate in yet another offseason program and training camp before getting to "play" (which is the only part he enjoys) games, my money is on him retiring for good. No way is he committed enough to rehab and train for an entire off-season and Woody and Tanny know this. So, saying they want him back is a no lose proposition.

Veteran
    Simple enough, make him come in for the entire conditioning & workouts or make him the #2 QB. If you said that we are thinking of starting Ratliff next year he would walk.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

They have eyes and know that Favre's recklessness fueled the fire of the Jets collapse. But they can not say, "Oh yeah, no way do we want Favre back, we'd rather go with an unproven QB". This would be an acknowledgement that the trade for Favre was at best a mistake and at worst a complete failure.

They also know Favre is a premadonna. If they say he should not come back, that will just make him want to come back even more. Plus, he will know then that Woody and Tanny think he didn't do the job, which could cause Favre to go negative on the Jets.

They are aware that a part of the fan base wants Favre back, so why anger the Fan base needlessly. Favre says even he does not know IF he wants to come back. But Woody and Tanny told him he has to make a decision by the time of the NFL Combine, he will be expected to fully participate in the Jets offseason program, and will have to either Rehab or get surgery for his shoulder. Since Favre is a guy who last "retired" because he couldn't participate in yet another offseason program and training camp before getting to "play" (which is the only part he enjoys) games, my money is on him retiring for good. No way is he committed enough to rehab and train for an entire off-season and Woody and Tanny know this. So, saying they want him back is a no lose proposition.
    i have to disagree..woody is all about name stature right now and firing mangini less than 24hrs after last game was a way to tell brett we want you back we got rid of the hc...honestly its a no win for jets..if he leaves we have no experienced qb..if he stays it could be another dissapointing year..

Undrafted Free Agent
    I hope Favre comes back...Lets see if the next HC likes his QB giving up TD's on int's and consistantly giving the opponent a short field to the jets defense...Is he benching Favre...hahahaha..not. favre is more responsible for the last five games then ANYONE..He now comes with ready made excuse..I didn't realize a hurt arm CAUSES YOU TO MAKE RETARDED DECISIONS...

Banned

I don't know about that....when you're talking PSLs...It sounds a lot better to say Brett Favre is your QB than Brett Ratliff. That seems to be what Woody cares about, our identity, not our record.

Practice Squad

I don't know, are they really that smart?

Veteran
    i agree in a sence here because i definetly think that woody and tanny both know he isnt he best fit for this team and contributed alot to the collapse down the road. I mean really do u understand the field day the media would have had if they both siad naaa he played terrible and we dont want him back. THE CONTROVERSY WOULD ENGULF OUR OFFSEASON!. soo of course they said they want him back but ill bet that their hoping he retires for good.

If he retires while woody is def looking to sell psl's it gives him an easy out and a new coach if successfull will sell just as many psl's if the team looks really good next year. Thats the key in my mind is finding a good coach that can put an exciting product on the field. If you bring in an aggressive coach watch how many people come to the games to see whats going to happen. If we get Ryan or Spags just wait to see how full the stadium gets to see how ferocious our D plays, esp if we're winning games forget it that'll sell more psl's at this point than brett after the season he had.

Can we trade Favre if he wants to come back?? To the Vikings whom he wanted to play for anyway???

Practice Squad

They lost a chance at bringing Cowher in.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVYMAN View Post
    Can we trade Favre if he wants to come back?? To the Vikings whom he wanted to play for anyway???
    that's what i don't get. Apparantly, we can't trade him to the vikings but we can let him walk. And if he walks, well, he can go to the vikings. Unless i am mistaken, this seems to make no sense, as far as the packers keeping him away from MINN goes.

Undrafted Free Agent
    So what you are saying is they basically lied at the press-conference (I wouldn't bet against it, seems to fit their characters)?

All Pro
    Can we trade Favre if he wants to come back??
    and get what? A 7th rounder and a bag of peanuts?

Quote Originally Posted by LEVYMAN View Post
    I never quite got the details of the deal. If the Jets trade to the Viking this year do they owe GB 3 1st?

Practice Squad

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Favre is ready to retire. He is done. If he comes back, it is because Woody and Tanny want him back - to win games and put butts in seats. The problem is, Favre has been doing that for years. If he returns, it will be for one thing: to play on a team that has a better-than-fair shot at competing for a SB in 2009. He knows that will only happen on a team with a kick-ass defense and power running-game, coached by a confident guy who knows how to help his players win games.

Winning is a big commitment, for everyone involved. Let's wait and see how the next couple of weeks play out.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GodWearsAGrayHoodie View Post
    I never quite got the details of the deal. If the Jets trade to the Viking this year do they owe GB 3 1st?
    First of all, nobody knows the terms of the deal with Green Bay. All we do know is that green bay wanted protection against seeing Brett Favre line up against them in the uniform of a divisional opponent.

I am pretty sure it was reported that If they trade him directly to the Vikings or the Bears the Jets owe 3 1st rounders to Green Bay. I think that I also saw where Green Bay were protected in any 3-team (or more) deal, if we trade him to team-X and team-X ends up trading him to on the Bears or Vikings, we still owe the penalty. So the question is, are Green Bay smart enough to also inlude language preventing us from cutting him. My guess is yes, others have guessed no. My guess is that no matter what route he takes (trade or release) if Brett Favre signs for either the Bears or the Vikings in the next three (now two) years, that we would owe Green Bay the full penalty of three first rounders.

Which makes him uncuttable even if we wanted to.

All of this might not be true, but if it is true then the talk about wanting him back "no question", makes ton of sense.

<edited to add>
    $13 million plus endorsements to rehab the shoulder on our dime.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Simple enough, make him come in for the entire conditioning & workouts or make him the #2 QB. If you said that we are thinking of starting Ratliff next year he would walk.
    I'd be more than fine to have favre as the backup.

Heard on WFAN that Woody and Tanny would kick Favre to the curb if the new coach didn't want him.

Practice Squad
    Heard on WFAN that Woody and Tanny would kick Favre to the curb if the new coach didn't want him.
    Who said that? The same guy who said that Cowher won't come to NY because he doesn't want to coach Favre?

Hall Of Fame
    Brett Favre is going to be harder to get rid of than flicking a piece of snot off your fingernail