Thread: Tannenbaum and Mangini should have been a package deal

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Tannenbaum and Mangini should have been a package deal

I am in the extreme minority here but I wouldn't have fired Eric Mangini. I would have given the guy another year. Now if The Jets replace Mangini with a proven winner. Then it's hard to argue with the change but continuity is what wins in this league. Now you gotta start all over again. New coaches, New systems, New players but the owner wants to do it half way. Keep the systematic approach and Tangini foundation in place with a new leader.

The Jets had a good young head coach. They just fired him. He's the scapegoat and the fall guy for The Jets mets like collapse. The fans and media turned on him and the organization turned on him. I don't care who the coach was this year, If your QB plays as awful as Favre did in the last 5 games. You are not winning.

I am not trying to excuse Mangini's performance this year but I'll tell you this. Perception becomes reality. The perception now is that he was a horrible game manager in over his head. I've watched every single moment of every single game that Mangini coached here. His game management was always good. His worst game was against Seattle. His decisions back fired. Eric needed better help around him from a coordinator standpoint. He didn't have it. 9 wins got him fired because of the expectations but the idea that this guy was Rich Kotite or Bruce Coslet is a load of BS. So far from the freaking truth.

If you are going to fire The head coach. Then you fire the guy who hired him too. Mike Tannenbaum was in self preservation mode. He has the owners ear and he just bought himself some extra time by getting the owner to can his pal. If you are going to kill Eric. Then you gotta kill Mr. T. They started the job together, They should have finished it together. That's my take right there.

I agree and I would have kept both for another year before getting rid of both...

Unfortunately, that decision has already been made and the Jets have to make a smart hire.

Veteran
    Never agreed with this approach. Just my opinion.
    Truthfully the owner should be fired but that ain't happening. I think he is the one behind the Favre fiasco.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    If you are going to fire The head coach. Then you fire the guy who hired him too. Mike Tannenbaum was in self preservation mode.
    I disagree 100%. It's the GM's job to provide the HC with the necessary players to win in this league, not coach them. And Tanny did just that during the off-season with all our acquisitions and by bringing in Favre.

You cannot kill the Favre deal, as none of us expected him back in August to perform as badly as he did this year. He clearly was an upgrade over Chad and Clemens (again, hindsight is 20/20) and was thought of to be the missing piece to a playoff run for us.

Tanny gave Eric all the tools to have a successful season, and Eric failed to do so. The failures of this year land on the shoulders of Mangini (and now obviously Favre, but again hindsight is 20/20).

No way should the blame be placed on Tanny.

All Pro
    I'd agree with this more if Tannenbaum was the GM when the Jets hired Mangini. While they were close. Tannenbaum wasn't hired as GM for a good month after Mangini was.

Mangini was hired Jan 16 2006
    Tannenbaum was hired Feb 8 2006

Mangini got hired because of input from Tannenbaum, but to fire Tannenbaum because of Mangini seems premature

Tannenbaum has Woody's loyalty and trust.Tannenbaum WAS Mangini's friend
    yet he canned him for his own survival.He knew that Woody was angry with the team's performance and wanted someone's head on a platter.Typically a GM is allowed to hire two head coaches After that if the team isn't winning then that GM is out of a job as well.Tannenbaum is on his second HC and will need the next Jet HC to be a winner otherwise he'll be gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I am in the extreme minority here but I wouldn't have fired Eric Mangini. I would have given the guy another year. Now if The Jets replace Mangini with a proven winner. Then it's hard to argue with the change but continuity is what wins in this league. Now you gotta start all over again. New coaches, New systems, New players but the owner wants to do it half way. Keep the systematic approach and Tangini foundation in place with a new leader.

The Jets had a good young head coach. They just fired him. He's the scapegoat and the fall guy for The Jets mets like collapse. The fans and media turned on him and the organization turned on him. I don't care who the coach was this year, If your QB plays as awful as Favre did in the last 5 games. You are not winning.

I am not trying to excuse Mangini's performance this year but I'll tell you this. Perception becomes reality. The perception now is that he was a horrible game manager in over his head. I've watched every single moment of every single game that Mangini coached here. His game management was always good. His worst game was against Seattle. His decisions back fired. Eric needed better help around him from a coordinator standpoint. He didn't have it. 9 wins got him fired because of the expectations but the idea that this guy was Rich Kotite or Bruce Coslet is a load of BS. So far from the freaking truth.

If you are going to fire The head coach. Then you fire the guy who hired him too. Mike Tannenbaum was in self preservation mode. He has the owners ear and he just bought himself some extra time by getting the owner to can his pal. If you are going to kill Eric. Then you gotta kill Mr. T. They started the job together, They should have finished it together. That's my take right there.
    Once again YJF this is why you are one of the best posters on this board. Right on the money............

Hall Of Fame
    My issues with Mangini (And why I ultimately fell out of favor with him there) were on the Defensive side of the ball.

The beauty of the 3-4 Scheme, when run properly, is that it allows you to disguise your schemes so much better then the 4-3 system does. The Defense has to guess where the extra rushers are coming from, and if they guess wrong then you have a mismatch somewhere in the protection.

But Mangini's 3-4 went into a shell. Way too often he was only rushing 3 or 4 guys while sending 7 or 8 into coverage, because he didn't think he could cover certain players otherwise. However, what that also does is give opposing QB's all day to find the open receiver, and they were well aware of it. He was also way to willing to employ the "Bend, but don't break" and the "Prevent Defense" strategy, but ours broke way too often, and didn't really prevent anything either. It was simply the most conserative 3-4 Defense that I think I've ever seen run, and the complete opposite of the purpose of the 3-4 system.

I know, he's not the Defensive Coordinator, but pretty much all reports have had Mangini having signficantly more time spent on that side of the ball then with the Offense. It was for all intensive purposes his Defense, Sutton was just the figurehead. I don't think firing Sutton and bringing in someone like Rob Ryan would really have changed much.

Is he the #1 reason we're not still playing? Nope, that would be Favre. But Mangini did more then enough to seal his fate.

As for Tannenbaum, I really don't think it was so much that he wanted to throw his friend under the bus, but the simple reality was that we had the pieces to be a postseason team and we're not, someone has to be held accountable for that. Should it really have been the guy who brought in 7 Pro-Bowlers in a 3 year span?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let me ask a question. If you would have kept them for another year, how do you address the coordinators? Do you keep them?

If not, how would you expect to attract new coordinators for a HC in his last year?

So the business decision is:
    A. Keep him and the whole staff for a year
    B. Give him an extension (which he didn't deserve) so he could hire new coordinator(s)
    C. Fire the whole lot.

I honestly don't see what he has done to warrant the title 'good young coach'. If he didn't work for Belechik, we never would have hired him. And quite frankly, there wasn't one part of this team that showed consistency or improvement that you could point to and say 'that is his mark'.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Let me ask a question. If you would have kept them for another year, how do you address the coordinators? Do you keep them?

If not, how would you expect to attract new coordinators for a HC in his last year?

So the business decision is:
    A. Keep him and the whole staff for a year
    B. Give him an extension (which he didn't deserve) so he could hire new coordinator(s)
    C. Fire the whole lot.

I honestly don't see what he has done to warrant the title 'good young coach'. If he didn't work for Belechik, we never would have hired him. And quite frankly, there wasn't one part of this team that showed consistency or improvement that you could point to and say 'that is his mark'.
    This all about Business. Mangini is not sexy to the owner or the fan base. Mangini is boring. He's the fall guy for the collapse. Let's see how sexy the next head coach is. If you can convince someone to take the Jets job. Not exactly enticing when you have a 40 year old QB and even if that old broken down QB comes back, You are headed for a potential rebuilding year in 2010.

I would have personally given Mangini a 1 year extension. Let him decide which coordinator he wanted to keep and which one he wanted to let go. You never know Martz and Romeo could have been your new coordinators. Could be Callahan and Romeo.

I would have given Mangini and Tannenbaum one more year to build a champion. Then if they failed in 09. I would have cleaned house. The Jets in the last 3 years have not been awful.

The owner didn't have faith in Mangini. Nor does the majority of Jets fans. So he's gone. The owner wants a new leader and a new face to the franchise. I am not interested in popularity contests. I am interested in continuity and winning. You either stay the course or completely start over. There's no in betweens.

If The Jets bring in a proven winner to lead the team. That's fine by me but if they bring in a young assistant who is unproven as a head coach. Then you are going down the Mangini route again. You don't know what kind of coach that person will be as the head coach. You have to go through the growing process all over again with your rookie head coach.