Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Glazer Says That Eric Mangini Was Too Hard On His Players and Coaches

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jay Glazer Says That Eric Mangini Was Too Hard On His Players and Coaches

I don't know how many Jets fans caught Jay Glazer's interview on WFAN tuesday. It was very interesting.

According to Jay Glazer's "sources".

Eric Mangini was too hard on his players. He would berate his players in front of the team when they didn't perform well or finish their assignments or didn't have knowledge of the opponents schemes or players.

One case of Mangini being hard on his guys was during the bye week when Eric called Favre and Tony Richardson into his office to rip them for playing poorly in practice. The players called it the principal's office. Eric laid into Favre for his decision making and blasted Richardson for going soft on some of his blocks.

Eric would watch game film and then call individual players into his office to ream them. He would also give each of his players a quiz on the up coming opponent's players. Eric also was hard on his assistants according to Glazer. Mangini was not happy with Sutton and Schottenheimer and while he publically defended them, He would critique their gameplans heavily every week.

So much for the perception that Mangini was soft or didn't care. You can throw that one out the window if Glazer's sources are correct.

Hall Of Fame
    If this story is true, then why was Mangini so reserved on the sideline?

So the JETS fired Herm because he was too soft and fired Mangini because he was too hard on his players?

Great consistancey from our owner!!!!...........

All League
    He's going to be a good coach. Give him a few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Until we hear an actual PLAYER come out and state any of this was true, we have to take these types of reports with huge grains of salt.

I bet we get more definitive stories during TC next year.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    So the JETS fired Herm because he was too soft and fired Mangini because he was too hard on his players?

I have read a few of your posts today. I sense you are a bit down on ownership. Am I reading you right?

Banned
    So the JETS fired Herm because he was too soft and Mangini because hge was too hard on his players?

I don't think either one was fired for being too hard or too soft. (no homo)

They were fired because neither one got the job done.

If you win, you can be as soft or as hard on your players as you want.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I don't know how many Jets fans caught Jay Glazer's interview on WFAN tuesday. It was very interesting.

According to Jay Glazer's "sources".

Eric Mangini was too hard on his players. He would berate his players in front of the team when they didn't perform well or finish their assignments or didn't have knowledge of the opponents schemes or players.

One case of Mangini being hard on his guys was during the bye week when Eric called Favre and Tony Richardson into his office to rip them for playing poorly in practice. The players called it the principal's office. Eric laid into Favre for his decision making and blasted Richardson for going soft on some of his blocks.

Eric would watch game film and then call individual players into his office to ream them. He would also give each of his players a quiz on the up coming opponent's players. Eric also was hard on his assistants according to Glazer. Mangini was not happy with Sutton and Schottenheimer and while he publically defended them, He would critique their gameplans heavily every week.

So much for the perception that Mangini was soft or didn't care. You can throw that one out the window if Glazer's sources are correct.
    He must be a good actor, I mean, How the hell you act soft and wuzzy in the sideline and the press conferences and you turn into a different person in the locker room. How come he didn't fire sutton and schotty if he was not happy with them?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    If you just look at Eric's face on the sidelines during games. He was angry. Just go look at The Miami game again. He just didn't throw tantrums on the sidelines and yell at players and refs. That wasn't his style. He wasn't going to start grabbing players by their helmets.

Bill Walsh never did that. Dungy doesn't do that. Belichick doesn't do that.

Part of Mangini's goodbye address to his players was him apologizing for being so hard on his players. He just wanted to win. Mangini joked that the players should be happy because he didn't have to look at The Miami game films on monday morning because the players would have been criticized heavily.

The problem with Eric is that he was never an inspirational leader who can galvanize a franchise. He was just a strict teacher. It didn't win him over with alot of people but ultimately, His agenda and motive was a good one.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Mangini's sideline demeanor always bothered me. Not because he wasn't demonstrative enough, but because he always had the look on his face of disgust. For all the talk about accountability, he seemed to blame a lot of people for the team's failures. He was certainly not the only offender. But part of the job description is that the buck stops with you. He just seemed way too eager to pass blame along.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Your grasp of logic is outstanding. It probably had nothing to do with the colossal collapse this year

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    Belichick doesn't do that.
    Belichick has been seen many times on the sideline yelling at defensive players. He gets out that wipeboard and coaches them up right there on the sideline.

Hall Of Fame
    Our players are p*ssies, especially on the defensive side. I want a coach who will get in their face and let them know it's a big deal when they give up short passes on every big play. Too many of our guys are products of Herm's Lovefest
    atmosphere.

If Rex Ryan is anything like Buddy Ryan, that's who I want. Buddy Ryan had Singletary on the verge of tears his rookie year. Buddy didn't even know his players names and referred to them as their numbers. But that Bears team would do anything for him .

Sounds like the Ravens feel the same way about Rex.

the observation makes sense. i could see mangini showing one side when the crowd was on him and then another when he got his players in camp. some guys can get away with this type of behavior and some can't. it certainly didn't help that he had very little stature either as a coach or a player before he took the job. it's one thing to know the x's and o's. it's quite another to teach players how to make all those x's and o's work and get them to work together.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Your grasp of logic is outstanding. It probably had nothing to do with the colossal collapse this year
    Mangini was the fall guy and scapegoat. Ultimately, The collapse falls on his doorstep. He has to take blame. The team faltered down the stretch and Mangini couldn't get the team turned around.

He wasn't an idiot after he beat The Pats and Titans on the road. He didn't become an idiot overnight. Maybe because he wasn't an idiot.

If someone had to get fired for the collapse. Mangini was target #1.

He's not a sexy coach. He's a boring teacher. The owner wants sexy. He wants someone he can sell to the consumer. The consumer wanted Mangini gone. So he's gone.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sounds to me like a guy who just didn't know how to lead, or how to manage modern NFL players.

A Coach today has to moderate hard with soft, emotition on gameday with control.

Mangini didn't. He was uninspiring on gameday, and demotivating (apparently) in the locker room. Clearly, given the teams lackluster and uninsipred performances the end of this year, Mangini's ways wore thin and failed to serve their purpose.

damo1031
    I don't think there is much doubt that these facts are indeed true. We have all read how tough his camps and practices were. He seemed to back off due to some of the flack he got from players and writers this year. I also think he got a bum deal with them bringing in Favre when they did but he made a ton of mistakes also. In my opinion, if he gets another chance, he will have learned from his mistakes and make a better showing. Also, for what it's worth, I have lost virtually all my respect for Woody as an owner. This orginization is such a mess.....but what else is new?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    Belichick has been seen many times on the sideline yelling at defensive players. He gets out that wipeboard and coaches them up right there on the sideline.
    Did you see the Miami coach Sunday, when the long snapper fired off his second
    bad snap? He undressed him right on national TV. He ran over to him, put two fingers up, and yelled "That's two, that's two!!!"

What are the Jets players crying about? Mangini berating them in the locker room when they screw up? Big deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Did you see the Miami coach Sunday, when the long snapper fired off his second
    bad snap? He undressed him right on national TV. He ran over to him, put two fingers up, and yelled "That's two, that's two!!!"

What are the Jets players crying about? Mangini berating them in the locker room when they screw up? Big deal.
    They are probably thinking that he is blaming them for his crappy scheming.

It helps to have some credibility when you try to publicly gut someone.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    I've seen Mangini instructing his players on the sidelines too. Even yelling believe it or not. He showed alot of disgust with his team down the stretch.The look of disgust was his entire look in december of this season. You are just not going to see him be demonstrative or act like a douchebag on the sidelines like Coughlin. That's not his style.He's got a game to coach. Theatrics are not needed.