Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade up for Rey? Why not?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Trade up for Rey? Why not?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Maualuga is a heat seeking missile on defense with a ruthless mentality. A guy who delivers the knockout blow time and time again. A lot of us have been clamoring for more passionate, aggressive players on defense. Rey fits the bill to a tee. This kid has Junior Seau 2.0 written all over him.

I think if you add this guy to the front seven, he could be the special ingredient thay makes this defense dynamic. Especially if a guy like Rex Ryan is hired as the new general.

We'd most likely need to get in the 8-12 range to land him, but we would probably only have to give up the 3rd we received from New Orleans.

Thoughts?

Thought about that to, think its better though to just stay at 17 and take Spikes. Is Rey that much better then Spikes anyways?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy View Post
    Thought about that to, think its better though to just stay at 17 and take Spikes. Is Rey that much better then Spikes anyways?
    Yes. I would love to land Rey. He is guaranteed to have an impact on his team. He is a legend in college. Spikes isnt even a lock for the 1st round without a good combine. Rey doesn't even have to go to the combine. He is that good.

Now, whether he is a good fit for the JEts is another question. Depends on the scheme I guess. I can't imagine a scheme he is not good for, but we will see who the new HC is.

Hall Of Fame
    funny i had a draft written out last night that i didn't post - pushed page back - that had us taking Rey at 16, which may not be far fetched....

we may not have to trade up to get rey, but if so, i wouldn't do it.

the browns are a threat to draft him, but most 34 teams draft after us.

same thoughts. we need a fiery monster.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy View Post
    Agreed. If the Jets feel Maualuga and Spikes will be gone, then it's an option. But I wouldn't trade up for Maualuga with Spikes more than likely being there.

And Spikes is a first round lock.

Hall Of Fame
    BTW, and this is why I am intrigued by Ryan - if we can get Ray Lewis here - I know I know, outside shot, but if so, then you get a William Moore or Raji at 16 and then have a studlicious looking defense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    BTW, and this is why I am intrigued by Ryan - if we can get Ray Lewis here - I know I know, outside shot, but if so, then you get a William Moore or Raji at 16 and then have a studlicious looking defense.
    moore's stock is dropping faster than balls from mccarrein's hands

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    moore's stock is dropping faster than balls from mccarrein's hands
    because kiper says so?

All League
    because kiper says so?
    because me watching him not do much the last 3 games of the season says so

also, im not a huge fan of trading UP for rey. is he all that good in coverage? wouldn't spikes address our immediate needs right now? (whereas harris does most of rey's strengths)

i would trade up for maualuga in a heart-beat. imo he is much better then spikes and just think about how nasty it would be to have rey and harris in the middle w/ pace and gholston on the outside. btw, gholston will end up being like mario williams who was terrible year 1 and was a stud in year 2. GET REX RYAN AND SIGN BOB RYAN AS DC!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    because me watching him not do much the last 3 games of the season says so

also, im not a huge fan of trading UP for rey. is he all that good in coverage? wouldn't spikes address our immediate needs right now? (whereas harris does most of rey's strengths)
    i wouldn't trade up for rey either, but I think he may be there at 16, and if not there will be good value, and perhaps a LB that can be just as good, maybe.

depends on some factors.

All Pro
    because kiper says so?
    His play says so.

I'm a fan of Moore but it's hard to ignore his SR year. He's still first round material but his stock has dropped. He needs to get healthy, drop 10-15 pounds, and have a fantastic off-season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    His play says so.

I'm a fan of Moore but it's hard to ignore his SR year. He's still first round material but his stock has dropped. He needs to get healthy, drop 10-15 pounds, and have a fantastic off-season.
    so, are you a fan of moore at 16 or do you think he's poop.

I'm not talking about a top 5 pick, I'm talking 16.

All Pro
    If we trade up I rather we trade up for Aaron Curry. He looks awesome....

Practice Squad
    We have too many needs to be trading up and spending 3 draft picks to draft 1 player (Maualuga) when we can stay put and use 1 draft pick to draft a player like Spikes, who I think will be just as good.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189 View Post
    no doubt, but that's definitely top 5.

All Pro
    so, are you a fan of moore at 16 or do you think he's poop.

I'm not talking about a top 5 pick, I'm talking 16.
    Depends on the board and underclassmen that declare. I think there could be better players available right now and the safety position is pretty deep. But he could show this off-season he's back to the player he was his JR. year in which case I'd be a fan. We'll see.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Depends on the board and underclassmen that declare. I think there could be better players available right now and the safety position is pretty deep. But he could show this off-season he's back to the player he was his JR. year in which case I'd be a fan. We'll see.
    true, alot has to be seen. Delmas and Chung in 2nd frame looks appetizing. Greene may be also.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryrhodes25 View Post
    i would trade up for maualuga in a heart-beat. imo he is much better then spikes and just think about how nasty it would be to have rey and harris in the middle w/ pace and gholston on the outside. btw, gholston will end up being like mario williams who was terrible year 1 and was a stud in year 2. GET REX RYAN AND SIGN BOB RYAN AS DC!!
    The problem is that if you draft Rey, then we have the worst coverage LB corps in the league instantly. Maualuga is in ways better than Spikes; he is more aggressive, better at blitzing and rushing the passer. But Spikes is better than Rey at the Jets biggest area of weakness, and that's coverage. And in our system the ILBs are required to cover more than they are required to blitz. And I think they are about the same against the run, so I didn't mention that, but I'll have this week to make a sure decision about that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189 View Post
    I would also trade up for Mays.