Thread: TheMo's Mock Offseason v.1

All League

TheMo's Mock Offseason v.1

1. Hire Rex Ryan as HC, make Callahan the AHC/OC, and see if Rob Ryan would want to join his brother as the DC

Some people may wonder if Callahan would want to be stay after being passed over for the HC job but frankly I think we need an experienced coach to run our 3-4. The easiest solution to this would be to give Rex the head coach spot since getting him as a DC would be impossible. Plus we all know that Callahan has a much better track record as a OC than as a HC. Rob Ryan would just be icing on the cake as I assume there will be no congruity issues between him and Rex on how the defense should be run.

2. Trade Brett Favre if he doesn't retire

I know it seems ludicrous but the coaching staff will probably want a fresh start and frankly it is time we develop our own signal caller. No more taking other teams’ leftovers at quarterback. At this point we might be able to get a second or third round pick for him. Or possibly set up a deal with escalators similar to Green Bay’s deal with us. Just get what you can and move on The only way I would want Brett Favre would be if he was totally onboard with the new staff and was willing to put in the necessary time in the offseason to get in shape/learn the playbook in its entirety.

3. Draft

This is assuming we don't get anything for Favre and he just retires. Saints give us their third for our fourth.

1(17) – BJ Raji NT
    Rex Ryan has seen the value of a deep defensive line and invests early picking up the massive BJ Raji. Raji would get plenty of snaps rotating in with Jenkins while also playing alongside big Kris when we go to a 4-3 look. Also we need to look for a long term answer at NT and prospects like Raji don’t grow on trees.

2(49) - Herman Johnson OG
    Depth along both lines seems to be a continuing issue with the team. We were lucky this year in not having any injuries but considering the age of some of our starters it would seem prudent to inject some more youth into this unit. Johnson is a massive guard who can help open huge holes in the running game no matter which side you choose to put him on. Also he can learn the subtleties of the game from a veteran Faneca, who in my opinion has been underachieving this season who Johnson can take over for eventually.

3(79) - Domonique Johnson CB
    Johnson is a very tall, physical corner who can possibly play alongside Revis allowing Rex to play his bump and run aggressive 3-4. Goes to Jackson State so normally would be a second day pick but his ridiculous speed will bump him up to the point where he may not even be here at this pick.

4(110) – Rashad Jennings RB
    A big physical running back with solid speed, at this point in the draft he would provide solid depth at the position and has the upside to be a good starting back in the league. He would be a low risk-high reward type and would give us the bruiser we lack in our current backfield.

5(145) – Rames Barden WR
    At this point in the draft it becomes all about raw potential, and one think you can’t coach is height. Barden comes in at a towering 6-6 with his main knock being speed but when you are throwing jump balls in the endzone speed isn’t a huge thing. At this point in the draft you take a chance on a guy like this who had 1257 yards on 67 receptions and 18 touchdowns in 2008, albeit against inferior competition. He’ll give a big target for whoever is playing quarterback in 2009.

6(177) – Jorvorskie Lane FB
    He might be gone by this spot according to mock draft websites but I see this happen every year with fullbacks. Peyton Hills was supposed to go in the fourth but dropped all the way to the seventh before he was picked up by the Broncos. The term fullback just drops you in the draft unfortunately. I will admit though his speed size ratio is ridiculous running a supposed 4.76 at 285! They just don’t make them like that too often. But if he is here at this point you have to take him as he represents excellent value in my opinion.

7(209) – Kevin Huber P
    Just be happy we don’t have Herm/Bradway combo or we might have picked this guy in third just because our punting was struggling. Anyway as I just mentioned the punting has been well below average this season and in the seventh round it’s not a big deal to draft a punter considering the overall potential available. Huber has a strong leg averaging 46.9 yards a punt. If Rex Ryan plans on creating a stingy defense he will value field position and invest late in a punter.

Comments are much appreciated and sorry about any typos I didn't have a chance to give it a second reading to catch those mistakes.
    Last edited by TheMo; 01-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.

All Pro
    I like the idea of improving in the trenches, but we could wait on drafting an OL.

I wouldn't be shocked if Johnson goes higher. Small-school corners can go 1st round if they have top triangle numbers and dominate their level of competition.

I think Huber goes higher(5th?) and it's justified. He's such a weapon...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I like the idea of improving in the trenches, but we could wait on drafting an OL.

I wouldn't be shocked if Johnson goes higher. Small-school corners can go 1st round if they have top triangle numbers and dominate their level of competition.

I think Huber goes higher(5th?) and it's justified. He's such a weapon...
    What do you think of Rashad Jennings? He looks like a huge sleeper at RB simply because he plays at liberty. As for Huber I just applied the punters always fall rule lol. What's your take on the guy from Utah who can punt and kick field goals?