Thread: Flaming Mo's 1st Ever Mock Offseason

All Pro

Flaming Mo's 1st Ever Mock Offseason

Ok, I usually wanted to respond these picks and selections to TheMo's mock offseason so some things are identical as I thought he did a good job. Here's my mock offseason along with some explanations about which I think would be the right direction for this franchise to go.

Head Coach:
    Rex Ryan - He has experience with our defense, from what you hear he's much liked by his players and he's due for a HC position. We won't be able to sign anyone we want so we have to take what we can get. Ryan is a good football mind, will have the team behind and most importantly, should be able to bring some toughness to the team. Let Callahan be the offensive coordinator and hire a young, aggressive defensive coordinator who will let the hounds loose. Westhoff with the special teams is fine.

Team philosophy:
    I think one of the most important things for our team is to find a true identity and go from there. We are a cold weather team and for such a franchise, we should resemble a strong running attack, disciplined offense backed by a ferocious aggressive defense. That's why we hire a defensive mind, that's why we have much money invested in our offensive line and that's why we have another defense heavy draft.

Draft:
    1st Brandon Spikes ILB Florida 6-3 245 lbs - Spikes is a tremendous athlete and a leader on one of the best college teams in recent years. Minor character issues, yet you won't find many other LB who can cover aswell as he does and who fly as fast to the football in run support.
    2nd Rashard Johnson S Alabama 6-0 190 lbs - Johnson is a tremendous athlete who can make plays against the run and against the pass. Hard hitter who will make people think about going over the middle. Very experienced.
    3rd Ron Brace DL Boston College 6-3 324 lbs - Big, wide body who could play on both spots in our 3-4 defensive line. Strong at the point of attack and against the run. Not a spectacular player but he occupies blockers and does his job.
    4th Demetrius Byrd WR LSU 6-2 210 lbs - A very solid, strong and versatile wideout with good size. We definitely need someone bigger than 5-11.
    4th Cedric Dockery OG Texas 6-4 320 lbs - Strong, experienced guard from big time program. Moves well and can open up holes.
    5th Alex Magee DL Purdue 6-4 295 lbs - Excellent size for the 3-4 defensive end spot. Comes from a program that has a history of turning out good NFL defenders and he would be a nice project pick.
    6th Brannan Southerland FB Georgia 6-0 240 lbs - Extremely strong, good blocking FB who can convert short yardage runs. Very productive and experienced. Would be a steal that late.
    7th Kevin Huber P Cincinnati 6-1 220 lbs - Our punting game was atrocious and we definitely need help here. Solid pick that late.

Now I feel we have major problems in terms of athletisism and overall speed. We aren't the most speedy and most athletic team out there and it has cost us numerous times. We have decent, good size yet at times we just are a step slow in my opinion, especially on defense. That will change with speedsters and hard hitters like Spikes and Johnson. The next picks will give us depth among both lines, something we absolutely need.

Trades/Free Agency/Resignings:

Most importantly we have to get rid of Brett Favre. He's done, I don't care how we do it, just get rid of him. We don't need our QB to lead the league in interceptions, especially not if we follow the aforementioned philosophy. Favre hasn't done anything to show that he wants to identify with the Jets. I would resign Feely and let him keep the kicking job. I'm still not sure about Barton but I would say we keep him for veteran leadership. Mosley should also be resigne just like Richardson who is a great veteran leader.

Trade Coles to someone for a 4th round pick
    Resign Mosley, Barton, Feely, W.Wright, Richardson

Free Agency:
    Devery Henderson WR Saints
    Bryant McFadden CB Steelers

NEW YORK JETS 2009 DEPTH CHART

QB Brett Ratliff/Kellen Clemens
    FB Tony Richardson/Brannan Southerland
    RB Thomas Jones/Leon Washington
    LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    G Alan Faneca/
    C Nick Mangold
    G Brandon Moore/Cedric Dockery
    TE Dustin Keller
    WR Devery Henderson/Jerricho Cotchery/Demetrius Byrd/Chansi Stuckey

DE Kenyon Coleman/CJ Mosley
    DT Kris Jenkins/Ron Brace
    DE Shaun Ellis/Alex Magee
    OLB Vernon Gholston/Bryan Thomas
    ILB David Harris/Eric Barton
    ILB Brandon Spikes/Jason Trusnik
    OLB Calvin Pace/David Bowens
    CB Darrelle Revis/Dwight Lowery
    S Kerry Rhodes/Abram Elam
    S Rashard Johnson
    CB Bryant McFadden/Hank Poteat
    Last edited by Flaming Mo; 01-03-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Practice Squad
    Johnson was horrible last night against the Utes. Blew multiple coverages early and often. Honestly that's all I know of him.

I notice that a lot of people have us getting Henderson and McFadden in FA. Why do people think we have the cap money to pay these guys, or that the FO is willing to again?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsVault03 View Post
    Johnson was horrible last night against the Utes. Blew multiple coverages early and often. Honestly that's all I know of him.

I notice that a lot of people have us getting Henderson and McFadden in FA. Why do people think we have the cap money to pay these guys, or that the FO is willing to again?
    Well, the Fo will do everything in their power to put a winning team out there with a new stadium on the horizon... McFadden and Henderson aren't the biggest name free agents out there either, even though they are very solid players.

All Pro
    I really like this Mo. It's almost the exact same off-season I'd like to see.

Although I'd prefer to see Spagnuolo as the HC and I'm really cold on Rashad Johnson.

Love the Henderson and McFadden signings. Byrd in the 4th round would be sick.