Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: 2008 Top 10 Films

Veteran

OT: 2008 Top 10 Films

So here's my preliminary list...

1) The Wrestler

Rourke is amazing in this and I'll murder someone if he doesn't win the Oscar, and Tomei pole dancing is ALWAYS a plus. I love Aronofsky's work, always have.

2) Revolutionary Road

Mendes is becoming an actor's director, great to see Leo and Kate back together. Could this finally be Winslet's year for the statue?

3) Man on Wire

Not a narrative feature, but the best documentary I've ever seen save for maybe The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

4) Milk

Penn and Hirsch are phenomenal, Josh Brolin as always is amazing...

5) Wall E

I know, I know, it's in the running for Best Picture and what not...but no matter how well a film is made I still just can't get into the cartoon thing. This however, is the best I've ever seen.

6) The Dark Knight

Amazing cast, huge huge props to Ledger....that performance will be remembered forever. When you're better than Jack at playing a character, you're pretty damned good.

7) The Reader

Love Ralph in everything he does, he's intuitive and patient and doesn't overwork the camera. Kate Winslet is truly becoming a Hepburn like star for our generation, and she gets two thumbs up in everything she's ever done (except for The Life of David Gale, that pretentious drivel).

8) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Too long, but Fincher's epic should clean up every visual effect award there is out there. Pitt is fantastic, and should definitely earn a Best Actor Nod, but should not win....as I mentioned earlier Rourke is in a different league.

9) Doubt

I saw it on Broadway so I'm a little biased, but these performances are truly incredible. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is emerging (if he hasn't already), as the greatest American actor under the age of 50...and I give him the edge for Best Supporting over Brolin in Milk.

10) Forgetting Sarah Marshall

In a year of great comedies, this one stands out. It's completely original, completely uninhibited, and has two of the hottest girls walking the planet as it's two lead women. Can't go wrong here.

Just Missing Out;

Seven Pounds
    Changeling

Have Yet To See;

Slumdog Millionaire
    Tropic Thunder
    Che
    The Visitor
    Happy-Go-Lucky
    In Bruges
    Pineapple Express

Overall, a good year...but last year was one for the ages. We may never see another year with There Will Be Blood, No Country, and Atonement....the best year for movies in my life. But this is certainly better than 99 and the wretched Lord of the Rings and Chicago years. Ouch.

Veteran
    Add Frost/Nixon to the "yet to see".

Veteran
    There are a few that I have yet to see (The Wrestler, Reservation Road, and Happy Go Lucky), but I saw one last night that jumps into my top 4:

Let the Right One In - A Swedish vampire flick that is simply amazing.

Others in my top 4 right now are: Slumdog Millionaire, The Visitor, and Milk. There are so many others that I like, but I'll wait until see some of the other good ones before I make my top 10 list.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    There are a few that I have yet to see (The Wrestler, Reservation Road, and Happy Go Lucky), but I saw one last night that jumps into my top 4:

Others in my top 4 right now are: Slumdog Millionaire, The Visitor, and Milk. There are so many others that I like, but I'll wait until see some of the other good ones before I make my top 10 list.
    Dude, I heard Let The Right One In is the absolute ****. Can't wait to see that one. I also forgot to add Gran Torino to the yet to see list.

You must see The Wrestler, immediately.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23 View Post
    Dude, I heard Let The Right One In is the absolute ****. Can't wait to see that one. I also forgot to add Gran Torino to the yet to see list.

You must see The Wrestler, immediately.
    Unfortunately, it's not playing in Houston for another two weeks.

You can catch Let the Right One In online at surfthechannel.com. Everything on your list except for Che is available there, too.....that's if you don't mind seeing it on your computer. Nothing beats the big screen.

Veteran
    Unfortunately, it's not playing in Houston for another two weeks.

You can catch Let the Right One In online at surfthechannel.com. Everything on your list except for Che is available there, too.....that's if you don't mind seeing it on your computer. Nothing beats the big screen.
    I heard that Surf The Channel closed?

Either way, I'm an industry guy and try to pay for everything I can if I can help it. It's not an easy industry so sometimes when it's tough I cheat, but I try not to if I can help it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Are all those movies out???

Rev. Road?

I just saw Slumdog Millionaire...great movie.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Are all those movies out???

Rev. Road?

I just saw Slumdog Millionaire...great movie.
    Scumbag Millionaire? I'm surprised you liked the ending to that one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Scumbag Millionaire? I'm surprised you liked the ending to that one.
    Huh?

All Pro
    rocknrolla- great guy ritchie movie

step brothers- will ferrel redeeming himself some garbage he has put out lately

Veteran
    FF, most of these movies are out in the bigger markets. I'm not sure if you're in the Boston area, but I'd imagine you could find all of them there. Limited releases usually include Boston, unless it's just a LA/NY release. We have them all down here.

Step Brothers wasn't all that funny for me. Adam Scott and John C. Reilly stole the film...Ferrell was same ol' Ferrell. Nothing new there. NOT a Forgetting Sarah Marshall level comedy.

Hall Of Fame
    In the last 2 weeks I saw Gran Torino (great film, Clint was outstanding as a totally over-the-top but loveable racist!-he was actually very funny), Benjamin Button (very good, epic, tear-jerker, good date movie, one of the most original films I've seen in a long time- kind of like Forrest Gump or Little Big Man) and Valkyrie (just okay, pretty decent war film that we all know the ending to, but I was unaware of the coup being attempted in conjunction with the assassination attempt which made it still interesting- Cruise did a fine and believable job IMHO, notwithstanding the lack of a german accent which would have seemed forced).

Big fan of Dark Knight and Ironman.

Tropic Thunder was my favorite comedy of the year and Cruise should get votes for Best Supporting but losing out to Ledger's Joker.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    In the last 2 weeks I saw Gran Torino (great film, Clint was outstanding as a totally over-the-top but loveable racist!-he was actually very funny), Benjamin Button (very good, epic, tear-jerker, good date movie, one of the most original films I've seen in a long time- kind of like Forrest Gump or Little Big Man) and Valkyrie (just okay, pretty decent war film that we all know the ending to, but I was unaware of the coup being attempted in conjunction with the assassination attempt which made it still interesting- Cruise did a fine and believable job IMHO, notwithstanding the lack of a german accent which would have seemed forced).

Big fan of Dark Knight and Ironman.

Tropic Thunder was my favorite comedy of the year and Cruise should get votes for Best Supporting but losing out to Ledger's Joker.

Forget the movies a moment, we are all on Pins and needles....
    How was the Nut Cracker!!!

Hall Of Fame

Just bought the novel "Let the Right One In", and am starting it tonite.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Forget the movies a moment, we are all on Pins and needles....
    How was the Nut Cracker!!!
    It's actually a very good performance, but a bit long. I've seen it before a number of times, used to take the kids almost every year so it brought back bittersweet memories.

The big Rat still creeps me out.

The restaurant and hotel were the highlight of the evening.

Rookie
    I am biased toward The Wrestler because I am a huge wrestling fan, and was at one of the shows that they filmed at.

I really liked Tropic Thunder Forgetting Sara Marshall and The Dark Knight as well.

I expected Pineapple Express and Step Brothers to be better.

Veteran
    Anyone else agree that film does seem to be getting better and not worse like everyone is saying?

Think about it. In the last decade, these have been our best picture noms;

I've highlighted red the movies that sucked ass...green the movies that I liked...and the ones I haven't seen are left black.

* 1998 Shakespeare in Love - Miramax, Universal - David Parfitt, Donna Gigliotti, Harvey Weinstein, Edward Zwick, Marc Norman
    o Saving Private Ryan - DreamWorks SKG, Paramount - Steven Spielberg, Ian Bryce, Mark Gordon, Gary Levinsohn
    o Life Is Beautiful (La vita è bella) - Miramax - Elda Ferri, Gianluigi Braschi
    o Elizabeth - PolyGram Filmed Entertainment - Shekhar Kapur, Alison Owen, Eric Fellner, Tim Bevan
    o The Thin Red Line - 20th Century Fox - Robert Michael Geisler, John Roberdeau, Grant Hill.

* 1999 American Beauty - DreamWorks SKG - Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks
    o The Cider House Rules - Miramax - Richard N. Gladstein
    o The Green Mile - Castle Rock Entertainment, Warner Bros. - Frank Darabont, David Valdes
    o The Insider - Touchstone Pictures - Pieter Jan Brugge, Michael Mann
    o The Sixth Sense - Hollywood Pictures - Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, Barry Mendel

2000s

* 2000 Gladiator - DreamWorks & Universal -Douglas Wick, David Franzoni, Branko Lustig
    o Chocolat - Miramax - David Brown, Kit Golden, Leslie Holleran
    o Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ( 臥虎藏龍 or Wo hu cang long) - Sony Pictures Classics - William Kong, Li-Kong Hsu, Ang Lee
    o Erin Brockovich - Universal & Columbia -Danny DeVito, Michael Shamberg, Stacey Sher
    o Traffic - USA Films - Edward Zwick, Marshall Herskovitz, Laura Bickford

* 2001 A Beautiful Mind - Universal & DreamWorks - Brian Grazer, Ron Howard
    o Gosford Park - USA Films - Robert Altman, Bob Balaban, David Levy
    o In the Bedroom - Miramax - Graham Leader, Ross Katz, Todd Field
    o The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - New Line & Warner Bros. - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Barrie M. Osborne
    o Moulin Rouge! - 20th Century Fox - Martin Brown, Baz Luhrmann, Fred Baron

* 2002 Chicago - Miramax - Martin Richards
    o Gangs of New York - Miramax - Alberto Grimaldi, Harvey Weinstein
    o The Hours - Paramount & Miramax - Scott Rudin, Robert Fox
    o The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - New Line & Warner Bros. - Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh, Peter Jackson
    o The Pianist - Focus Features - Roman Polanski, Robert Benmussa, Alain Sarde

* 2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - New Line Cinema - Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh
    o Lost in Translation - Focus Features - Ross Katz, Sofia Coppola
    o Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - 20th Century Fox, Miramax & Universal - Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., Peter Weir, Duncan Henderson
    o Mystic River - Warner Bros. - Robert Lorenz, Judie G. Hoyt, Clint Eastwood
    o Seabiscuit - Universal, DreamWorks - Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Gary Ross

* 2004 Million Dollar Baby - Warner Bros. - Clint Eastwood, Albert S. Ruddy, Tom Rosenburg
    o The Aviator - Miramax & Warner Bros. - Michael Mann, Graham King
    o Finding Neverland - Miramax - Richard N. Gladstein, Nellie Bellflower
    o Ray - Universal - Taylor Hackford, Stuart Benjamin, Howard Baldwin
    o Sideways - Fox Searchlight - Michael London

* 2005 Crash - Lions Gate, Bob Yari Productions, DEJ Productions - Paul Haggis, Cathy Schulman
    o Brokeback Mountain - Focus Features - Diana Ossana, James Schamus
    o Capote - United Artists & Sony Pictures Classics - Caroline Baron, William Vince, Michael Ohoven
    o Good Night, and Good Luck - Warner Bros. - Grant Heslov
    o Munich - DreamWorks & Universal - Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Barry Mendel

* 2006 The Departed - Warner Bros. - Graham King
    o Babel - Paramount Vantage - Alejandro González Iñárritu, Steve Golin, Jon Kilik
    o Letters from Iwo Jima - Warner Bros. - Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Robert Lorenz
    o Little Miss Sunshine - Fox Searchlight - David T. Friendly, Peter Saraf, Marc Turtletaub
    o The Queen - Miramax - Andy Harries, Christine Langan, Tracey Seaward

* 2007 No Country for Old Men - Miramax & Paramount Vantage - Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
    o Atonement - Focus Features - Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Paul Webster
    o Juno - Fox Searchlight - Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick, Russell Smith
    o Michael Clayton - Warner Bros. - Jennifer Fox, Kerry Orent, Sydney Pollack
    o There Will Be Blood - Paramount Vantage & Miramax - Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Lupi, JoAnne Sellar

Like I said above, I hate the early 2000s, I hate that Peter Jackson's CGI infested dog vomit pretentious ass**** trilogy got nominated every year and even more so cleaned up the 2003 Oscars over movies like Lost in Translation and Mystic River....but Hollywood seems to be headed in the right direction.

Last year was an all time epic year in films, 2006 was great, and 2005 was incredible. And what's more so is that there are movies not nominated that are phenomenal mainly due to the independent film boom. See;

American History X
    The Constant Gardner
    The Motorcycle Diaries
    Garden State
    Donnie Darko
    Iris
    Road To Perdition (one of the best modern noir films)
    Hotel Rwanda

Things are starting to come around.

All League
    Saw Gran Torino last night- great movie. Hope it gets nominated. Clint should get a best acting nomination too, IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio View Post
    Saw Gran Torino last night- great movie. Hope it gets nominated. Clint should get a best acting nomination too, IMO.
    Movie won't be nominated. Besides Clint, no one was above the level of a high school drama club actor. Clint has an outside shot of being nominated though (Langella or Rourke is going to win)

All Pro
    1. Slumdog Millionare
    2. Wall-E
    3. Benjamin Button
    4. Milk
    5. Gran Torino
    6. Dark Knight
    7. Frost/Nixon
    8. Tropic Thunder
    9. Burn After Reading
    10. Role Models

Never saw Wrestler