Thread: Jets Have Lots of Options in the First

Jets Have Lots of Options in the First

I know its early but for the first time I can remember the Jets could pick almost any position in the first round (besides TE, LT, or C) and it could be justified. In years past it seemed like I wanted one out of two or three positions I really wanted to see filled in the first, but this year I wouldnt mind WR, RB, DE, DT, LB (esp. ILB since we have lots of money invested in OLB), CB, S, or even QB. Does anyone else agree that they really wouldnt mind any position and that this year its more about the individual player and have you personally always felt this way?...because like i said - ive always keyed in on a few particular needs.
    Last edited by intothegreen; 01-05-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Rookie
    My 1st Rd targets are Secondary, LB and WR (not a huge 1st Rd receiver fan) and 1 possible DE.

Possible first round targets:

William Moore, S Mizzou.......Big Safety that would look very good with Rhodes. The Jet's Safeties are interchangable, so Moore would do well. The Jets need another Safety, plain and simple. Moore had some nagging injuries in 2008 that slowed his production. Many Mocks have Moore in the top ten, but I believe his stock will drop some with underclassmen declaring. May be availbale if the Jets lose their last 3, but is doubtful. Jets may have to trade up a few spots if they covet Moore.

Vontae Davis, CB Ill.........I believe Jenkins is the #1 CB in the draft, Davis had an off year and could be available in the mid-teens. The Jets need more secondary help.

Alphonso Smith, CB Wake........doesn't have great size, but is a playmaker (int. machine) and a nose for the ball. Good speed and recovery skills with very good techique. I like how Smith looks back for the ball while covering Wideouts. Should be available when the Jet's pick.

Brandon Spikes LB, Florida..........I love this kid and would be a nice player next to Harris. Seems to do everything well. Florida's defense wouldn't be the same without Spikes. Spikes has the potential to be a star LB in the NFL. Definitely will declare, especially when Florida wins the championship.

Clint Sintim LB Virginia...........plays outside, but is very well suited to play inside in a 3-4. Many scouts and draft experts agree Sintim has all the physical tools and strenght to play inside. I saw 4 Virginia games this year and Sintim was the best defensive player for Virginia and it wasn't even close, he's in on almost every play. Coached by Al Groh's 3-4 defense!! Drops into coverage, stout at the point of attack stopping the run, gets to the sideline quick. Has Football insticts and desire, something VG sorely lacks. Available when the Jets pick.

James Laurinaitis LB, OSU......James where have you gone??? The "little animal" could have been a Top Ten pick last year, now projected to be a late Rd 1 pick or even falling out of the 1st RD. I like JL, he a smart tough football player, I'm just not too sure if he would do well in our 3-4 in the middle. Not as physical as AJ Hawk, but a smart player that makes a ton of plays...... that could get run over in the NFL. I like, his playing partner Freeman in a later Mid Rd for depth and special teams.

Jeremy Maclin, WR Mizzou........could go anywhere from the teens to the mid 20's. I hope Crabtree declares, so it pushes Maclin's stock down .A very special player that could be easily gone when the Jets pick. I predict a mid -teen to a early 20's pick. Expected to declare. Reminds me of a bigger Tory Holt. I'm a big Maclin fan...I'd love him in Green & white.

Darruis Heyward-Bey WR, Marland..........Big target that is productive despite Maryland not focusing on the pass. Might be a good choice with Maclin gone. Some like Heyward-Bey's upside more than Maclin, I'm not sold on him yet. This player could have a huge upside and ton's of potential. Could be a risky pick...Bust potential.

Tyson Jackson, DE LSU.............The perfect 3-4 DE, the Jets really good use some more help at DE.

Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers...............Local player would be a nice fit with the Jets. Britt's size and ability make him a great fit with NYJ. Coles days seemed numbered. I'm still hoping for Maclin as my #1 WR target for the Jets.

DJ Moore, CB, Vandy...........Let's face it, TY Law is a Joke. The Jets may strongly consider CB in Round 1. Revis is our only solid CB and Lowery may be moved inside. Moore has played very well in the SEC. Not a big player, but is quick. Looks every bit the part he can play CB in the NFL....should declare and has been rising up many boards. Great kickoff returner also.
    Last edited by WW85; 01-05-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Im not a huge fan of the first round WR either...with that said out of those targets Im leaning towards moore, Spikes, or Jackson. Im not high on V. Davis mostly because of his brother Vernon. what I was getting at with this thread though was the fact that it just wouldnt anger me if the Jets took any of the positions listed. Usually Im dead set on upgading particular areas, but this year im less focused on position of need and more focused on upgrading the team anyway possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Depends who coaches, and what scheme they will run.

those not mentioned:

Raji
    Jerry
    Moreno
    Wells
    Sanchez
    Everette Brown
    Cushing
    English

All League
    Completely agree. In past years, we've seen Jets mock drafts varying from 1 to 3 players in the first round. I think this year's mocks will be all over the place.

We'll each have our own opinion of what position the jets will fill with pick 17 and then draft day the jets will trade picks and throw everyone off.

Keep the mocks coming.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'm a Tarheel so I am biased, but the only WR other than Crabtree and Maclin worthy of the first round is Hakeem Nicks, the up-to-date version of Michael Irvin (his game not his off-field issues). And a late round steal would be his running mate Brandon Tate, speed to burn. Tore his ACL against Notre Dame, but should be fine for the season. Check out there clips.

Practice Squad
    Winning organizations continually take the BPA (Best player available). Obviously, if two players grade out almost equally and one is in a position of greater need, you take him. But in the Jetsí case, there isnít one position, except for RB, C and LT where you should pass on the BPA.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko097 View Post
    Winning organizations continually take the BPA (Best player available). Obviously, if two players grade out almost equally and one is in a position of greater need, you take him. But in the Jetsí case, there isnít one position, except for RB, C and LT where you should pass on the BPA.
    I see no need to take an OLB, QB, or TE either though. For those 3 positions, we either just used a high pick, or have a plethora of young talent.

ILB? Yes please.
    S/CB? Yes please.
    DL? Yes please.

OL? In the later rounds, yes please.
    WR? YES PLEASE.
    FB? In the later rounds, sure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I see no need to take an OLB, QB, or TE either though. For those 3 positions, we either just used a high pick, or have a plethora of young talent.

ILB? Yes please.
    S/CB? Yes please.
    DL? Yes please.

OL? In the later rounds, yes please.
    WR? YES PLEASE.
    FB? In the later rounds, sure.
    It all depends on what coach our FO hires...but I agree with priorities:

1st Round:
    ILB - Spikes or Laurinaitis, even though I think Trusnik might be a player that could be coached up
    S - Mays; if we have a chance at getting him and don't have to give up too much (Todd McShay has him going 2 picks ahead of us) we snag him. Especially, if Ryan is our head coach, this kid would bring with him the proper aggressive attitude and is a perfect compliment to Rhodes. (CB needs should be addressed in FA)
    NT - Raji but he'll be long gone.

2nd Round:
    WR - Iglesias, Nicks, Massaquoi (best tall WR available)

All League
    Honestly, I want a defensive coach and a 1st round pick to be one of two things:

Offensive Playmaker
    or
    a Pass Rusher.

I dont care about position, but we need these things worse than anything else in mho.

EDIT: i do like Mays alot however.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko097 View Post
    Winning organizations continually take the BPA (Best player available). Obviously, if two players grade out almost equally and one is in a position of greater need, you take him. But in the Jets’ case, there isn’t one position, except for RB, C and LT where you should pass on the BPA.
    IMO RB can be taken as well because Jones is getting older...I wouldnt want to wait till hes done to get a RB because then the Jets will struggle for a whole year with no RB...we can prob pick one up later on if the class is deep enough (ala last yrs class), but at the same time he doesnt have as great a wear and tear on him as some other backs his age because he wasnt a feature back early on only getting a lil over 100 carries a yr his first 4 yrs

EDIT: no feature back...it remains to be seen if Leon can handle a full load in the backfeild