Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Realistic Expectations for Our New HC in Year 1

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ridge, Long Island
    Posts
    2,250

    Realistic Expectations for Our New HC in Year 1

    By now we've all seen the list of opponents that we have lined up for us in 2009. A much tougher schedule to say the least, and one that will make improving on our 9-7 record a very difficult task IMO.

    With a new HC and presumably two new coordinators coming in next year (and hopefully for the forseeable future for stability), what should fans consider to be reasonable expectations for the 2009 Jets?

    If we stick with our same current offensive & defensive systems (obviously tweaked somewhat by the new coaches), can we expect a 9+ win season?

    Or if we go with a complete overhaul of both systems and decide to go with either Clemens or Ratliff at QB, can we settle for a sub-.500 record next year in hopes that our young QB develops enough that we can contend for a playoff spot in 2010?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gateway to the Catskills
    Posts
    1,843
    Lombardi.

    All else is failure.


  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    This team should be above 500 and challenging for a playoff spot for sure. There absolutely needs to be a total overhaul of the defensive system. Offense not so much in my mind, we are more limited by personell on that side of the ball.

    Remember 2/3 way through this last season a lot of people were calling the Jets one of the top 3 teams in the league.

  4. #4
    I'd settle for a Round 1 bye...

    Unrealistic. But I'm tired of saying 8-8 is okay.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,476
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    what should fans consider to be reasonable expectations for the 2009 Jets?


    Oh the humanity, say, isnt that Jenn Sterger nice rack jeez

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,107
    You can expect for us to be competitive in the division but probably make the wild card. The Pats will win the division

  7. #7
    Anything can happen, I just will go with the flow with a new coach with no expectations. Because I don't know what he will bring. The only hope I have is that the team will be well coached and prepared each week, thats all we can ask for.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Well, we were 8-3, finished 9-7. We clearly proved that we have a lot of talent and that we can compete with some of the best in the league (see Titans, Pats, Cards). A lot of our current problems had to do with the approach of our coaching staff, as we might all agree. I only say read and react.

    Now taking all those things into consideration, the fact that we can reload through the draft (where we got good players in recent years) and a new system, then I expect a team that competes for the playoffs after a slower start. And what I hope for is a true identity, a team where we know what to expect every Sunday and a team that knows what it is doing out there.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lynbrook, NY
    Posts
    2,883
    If last year proved anything it is that expectations change as the season goes on and situations change.

    Expectations mean very little.

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    465
    he better start off 8-3

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    By now we've all seen the list of opponents that we have lined up for us in 2009. A much tougher schedule to say the least, and one that will make improving on our 9-7 record a very difficult task IMO.

    With a new HC and presumably two new coordinators coming in next year (and hopefully for the forseeable future for stability), what should fans consider to be reasonable expectations for the 2009 Jets?

    If we stick with our same current offensive & defensive systems (obviously tweaked somewhat by the new coaches), can we expect a 9+ win season?

    Or if we go with a complete overhaul of both systems and decide to go with either Clemens or Ratliff at QB, can we settle for a sub-.500 record next year in hopes that our young QB develops enough that we can contend for a playoff spot in 2010?
    It will be tough to set expectations when we have no idea who the QB will be

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Impossible to give a "realistic" level of expectation, when we do not know:

    --Who the Coach is yet?

    --Who the QB will be?

    --What players will be retained?

    --What players will be aquired?

    --What Offense/Defense will we Run?

    Sorry, but there are huge differences, in fact and expectation, between Marty Shottenheimer as HC, and Jagoffcowski from BC as the HC.

    There are massive differences in expectation between a Favre return, and a Ratliff experiment.

    Etc, etc.

    So the answer, from any objective viewpoint I think, is "Far Too Early To Predict or Even To HAVE "Expectations"".

  13. #13
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Impossible to give a "realistic" level of expectation, when we do not know:

    --Who the Coach is yet?

    --Who the QB will be?

    --What players will be retained?

    --What players will be aquired?

    --What Offense/Defense will we Run?

    Sorry, but there are huge differences, in fact and expectation, between Marty Shottenheimer as HC, and Jagoffcowski from BC as the HC.

    There are massive differences in expectation between a Favre return, and a Ratliff experiment.

    Etc, etc.

    So the answer, from any objective viewpoint I think, is "Far Too Early To Predict or Even To HAVE "Expectations"".

    based on what we do know, we should expect playoffs minimum. If those arent the expectations there was no reason to fire Mangini

  14. #14
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by mluongo View Post
    based on what we do know, we should expect playoffs minimum. If those arent the expectations there was no reason to fire Mangini
    IMO, firing Mangini had everything to do with him losing the locker room. (at least that was the conclusion the FO and ownership made).

    Hiring a new coach, especially if it turns out to be someone with no prior HC experience, is about changing the personality of the franchise and beginning to implement the new coach’s desired identity.

    Many personnel decisions, including the tiny issue of QB are yet to be decided.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by mluongo View Post
    based on what we do know, we should expect playoffs minimum. If those arent the expectations there was no reason to fire Mangini
    And I disagree. The ONLY purpose is to built a Champion.

    Mangini was not showing he was doing that, as he regressed each season he was Coach (and yes, his 9-7 with 2008's talent is worse than his utter failure with weak talent in 2007).

    By the way, if you Mangini-lovers think the rest of us don't see right through these kinds of threads, you really don't give the rest of us enough credit.

    We get it. You loved Mangini. He's gone. You may want to come to terms with that, and not hold it against the next Coach that he "isn't Mangini", or suddenly hold the new guy to levels of expectation you'd never have dreamed of holiding Mangini to.

    Mangini got three years. I think that was appropriate, barring utter collapse I think 3 full seasons is more than enough to judge a Coach.

    So the new guy, whomever he may be, gets the same benefit....barring horrid failure without any sign of improvements, of course.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ridge, Long Island
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    By the way, if you Mangini-lovers think the rest of us don't see right through these kinds of threads, you really don't give the rest of us enough credit.
    Well, considering I am not a Mangini-lover, you are wrong about the intention of this thread.

    In fact, it actually has absolutely nothing to do with Mangini.

    The intention was to look ahead towards the future, not discuss the past.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,945
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Lombardi.

    All else is failure.

    YJF is convinced if you threw enough money on Lombardi's grave he'd agree to take the Jets job.. A famous Necromancer has been in contact with Lombardi but so far Woody has not agreed to a Seance.. Terry Bradway is on board if the details can be worked out for Lombardi's spirit to take over his Body providing he can have it back to pork the wife and meal times..

  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And I disagree. The ONLY purpose is to built a Champion.

    Mangini was not showing he was doing that, as he regressed each season he was Coach (and yes, his 9-7 with 2008's talent is worse than his utter failure with weak talent in 2007).

    By the way, if you Mangini-lovers think the rest of us don't see right through these kinds of threads, you really don't give the rest of us enough credit.

    We get it. You loved Mangini. He's gone. You may want to come to terms with that, and not hold it against the next Coach that he "isn't Mangini", or suddenly hold the new guy to levels of expectation you'd never have dreamed of holiding Mangini to.

    Mangini got three years. I think that was appropriate, barring utter collapse I think 3 full seasons is more than enough to judge a Coach.

    So the new guy, whomever he may be, gets the same benefit....barring horrid failure without any sign of improvements, of course.
    I wouldnt say I love Mangini, though he was the best coach the Jets have had since Parcells. Typically rebuilding a team is a 4-5 year process.

    The only acceptable reason for firing Mangini is if Tanny believed this is a win now team if he brings in an established winning HC.

    Starting the rebuilding process over and dealing with the growing pains of a rookie HC is not what Jet fans want to go through again.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Massapequa
    Posts
    823
    We're going to still have a lot of talent next year. I don't care how we get in, but playoffs or bust.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Windsor NJ, Brooklyn born & raised
    Posts
    4,981
    Wild Card or better. 10 wins at least but 11 may be necessary to get a playoff berth.

    A new coach, new system, they'll have TC and preseason to learn it. By time regular season rolls around we should be starting to pile up wins. We are not (nor will we be) a team full of rookies and 2nd year players. 80% of the team will be veterans, and they should be playing up to their skill level. I don't think a 'new' system will be an impact. All that is is an excuse when the winning does not happen.

    One caveat.....who are the new coaches? You go ahead and bring in Jago-whatshisname and surround him with newly promoted coaches as coordinators, and all this could go up in smoke (a.k.a. Mangini era part duex).
    If you bring in some seasoned NFL veteran coaches, the 'expectations' will be greater, such as the ones I initially listed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us