Thread: Jets owner meets with Brian Schottenheimer, mum on Jagodzinski

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Jets owner meets with Brian Schottenheimer, mum on Jagodzinski

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11230683

Jets owner meets with Brian Schottenheimer, mum on Jagodzinski
    Jan. 6, 2009
    CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- New York Jets owner Woody Johnson formally met with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on Tuesday about the team's coaching vacancy, a person familiar with the search told the Associated Press.

Johnson was out of the country last Friday when general manager Mike Tannenbaum began the first round of interviews with Schottenheimer and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Callahan will sit down with Johnson on Wednesday, according to the person, who requested anonymity because the individual wasn't authorized to discuss the search to replace the fired Eric Mangini.

It was uncertain if Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski met with the Jets on Monday or Tuesday. The Jets declined comment Tuesday through a team spokesman, neither confirming nor denying that Jagodzinski was interviewing for the coaching vacancy.

ESPN.com reported Sunday night that the coach wouldn't be welcome to return to Boston College if he seeks work in the NFL. Athletic director Gene DiFilippo declined to say whether Jagodzinski, who has three years left on a five-year contract, would be fired if he interviews with the Jets.

Johnson and Tannenbaum will fly to Arizona on Thursday to interview Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm. The former four-time Pro Bowl guard with Washington is in his second season with the Cardinals, who play at Carolina in the NFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

The Jets will interview Indianapolis defensive coordinator Ron Meeks on Friday at the team's practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

Meeks, 54, has been in charge of the Colts' defense for the last seven sevens and was a candidate for the Washington job last offseason that went to Jim Zorn. He's the first minority candidate to speak with New York, putting the Jets in compliance with the NFL's Rooney Rule.

New York met on Saturday with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who has also interviewed for the vacancies in Cleveland and Detroit. The Jets have also received permission to speak with Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, but haven't set a date for an interview. The Ravens play at Tennessee in the AFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post

The jagodzinski interview happened today as well.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Wow, it's going to be hard to choose between Schittenheimer, Callahan or Jagoffinzsky. It's like the modern day equivalent of choosing between Lombardi, Walsh or Brown.

All Pro
    schotty for HC? I wouldn't mind....cut loose sutton or demote him and promote callahan to the OC.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    schotty for HC? I wouldn't mind....cut loose sutton or demote him and promote callahan to the OC.
    Just curious, who would be the DC?

Undrafted Free Agent
    jagodzinski met with the jets, but maybe for the OC job, remember, he coached hasselbeck, who is a free agent.....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Wow, it's going to be hard to choose between Schittenheimer, Callahan or Jagoffinzsky. It's like the modern day equivalent of choosing between Lombardi, Walsh or Brown.
    Buzz.....I sense hostility in your posts after Manginis firing. You a relative or do you have real viable reasons why he shouldn't have been axed?

Banned
    are you serious?

All Pro
    I like that i think. Schotty as Headcoach and Callahan OC. Stay Inhouse! 34 DC is w/jets need if Sutton gets gone. lol!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lyons93 View Post
    jagodzinski met with the jets, but maybe for the OC job, remember, he coached hasselbeck, who is a free agent.....
    Hasselbeck got hurt in NFC West.. lol! He would never make it here in the AFC East. jmo thou. Elizabeth his wiffey wouldn't like to see him hit so much. The jets have younger version in Ratty anyway.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Buzz.....I sense hostility in your posts after Manginis firing. You a relative or do you have real viable reasons why he shouldn't have been axed?

Eh, I do think Mangini should've been given another year with new coordinators. He was hired to grow into the position of HC (why else hire a 36 year old person???) and I think Woody and Tannenbaum bowed to public pressure (read: PSL's won't sell as much unless we bring in a new coach).

But really, ownership (Woody), management (Tannenbaum), and coaching (Mangini) were all to blame for the season ending the way it did IMO. I know many will disagree but that's how I feel. I think if Mangini went, Tannenbaum should've been fired too. Same with the coordinators. Clean house or stay the course, one or the other.

But really, the thing the pisses me off the most is that Favre is welcome to come back if he wants to. Only because of his name. I mean, that disgusts me. Especially after his speech before the Miami game "If we win, we win, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't. I love you guys. Do whatever it is you guys do" It was forced, awkward and insincere. He's not a Jet, he's a Green Bay Packer.

So yeah, I've always been an optimistic fan but these two last months, between the team collapsing and the events after the season, have really soured me on the Jets organization. And again, it's not just because Mangini was fired. I just don't see a bright future for this team because I don't trust the two bozo's in charge.

All that said, if they lock up Rex Ryan, I'll probably be back to my usual homer self

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Hasselbeck got hurt in NFC West.. lol! He would never make it here in the AFC East. jmo thou. Elizabeth his wiffey wouldn't like to see him hit so much. The jets have younger version in Ratty anyway.
    Wrong Hasselbeck. She's married to Tim.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Wrong Hasselbeck. She's married to Tim.
    Your kidding me. I always thought Matt was the lucky guy.

All League
    I wanted Mangini out for a while, but one can't help but wonder what was really going on behind the scenes.

It is seeming more and more likely Woody just wanted to keep Favre around and now we are left with just a mess.

Not that it matters anymore, but maybe the first step should have been just to fire Sutton.

Remember, Coughlin was on his way out w/ the Giants but then he got Spagnolo and look what happened... they won the freakin Superbowl.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The rumor up here is that Jags was looking for a way out of his contract and
    he knows he isn't going to get the Jets job but he interviewed anyway to piss
    of his AD and get himself fired. Most media pundits here expect he has another
    job lined up that he wants but he has three years left on his contract.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Did you notice that Callahan is #1 on Mangini's list? I wouldn't mind keeping Schott/Callahan at all.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Just curious, who would be the DC?
    hmm i dunno -- def someone with 3-4 experience..someone who isn't afraid to mix up a little 4-3 in there as well, some 46..i know i basically described ryan...rob ryan was almost ours last year...be awesome if we get him but idk an unknown perhaps? Nothin ever wrong with unknowns.

Wasn't Dabol pegged as our next OC if/when schotty left?? Idk promoting schotty makes too much sense too happen IMO..this team needs stability above all else so i wouldn't change much....brian cox for DC? haha idk anyone but sutton.
    Last edited by WeskerLogan; 01-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    That was our offense that the Chargers won with. They have more "seasoned" players than we do (ie Gates). Callahan and Schotty under the best coach we can get?