Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangini Didn't Want Favre

Undrafted Free Agent

Mangini Didn't Want Favre

I had not heard until this morning where the Daily News and NY Times both reported, that Mangini was against the Favre acquisition. If that is the case I do not understand how the Jets fired him. The coach, while maybe not having final say in all personnel matters such as the draft, etc... should be able to choose his/her quarterback, particularly when it is in August. The Jets lost in large part b/c Favre was horrible down the stretch - how could you fire the guy for the failure of a quarterback he did not even want?

All League
    he didn't want Favre because then he would be expected to win and if he didn't he would be fired

Here we go...why not make the Holy Virgin Statue of Eric and place it somewhere outside the new stadium?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is what I don't understand.

If Mangini was so against the idea of bringing in Favre, then why the f*ck would he name one of his kids after Brett?

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

If Mangini was so against the idea of bringing in Favre, then why the f*ck would he name one of his kids after Brett?
    Liking a player as a person/friend and naming your kid after him is one thing; liking a player as a good fit for your football team is something totally different.

All League
    if any of you believe this bs you are really stupid. I dont mean to insult anyone, but come on, really?

All Pro
    Does Mangini actually like any QB (outside of maybe Tom Brady and Brad Smith)?!?

He didn't want Pennington. He gave Clemens about 10 minutes. Now he didn't want Favre? Sheesh.

Watch out Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson - Josh Cribbs will be the starting QB in Cleveland before you can say "stupid wishbone play"...
    Last edited by mrcoops; 01-08-2009 at 11:29 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    he didn't want Favre because then he would be expected to win and if he didn't he would be fired
    No. He didnt want Favre b/c he new Favre was an over the hill, past his prime , mistake prone, selfish prima donna who would be a distraction to his football team.

And he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by JediJustin View Post
    Liking a player as a person/friend and naming your kid after him is one thing; liking a player as a good fit for your football team is something totally different.
    LOL, yeah THEY WERE SUUUCH GOOD Longtime FRIENDS. THeir relationship was soley bases on business. Not like they were college roomates

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

oh please....

Mangini named his kid Brett. It's not exactly an uncommon name. To my knowledge, he never said he chose the name because of Favre.

All Pro
    qft.

All League
    Who cares??? He was 8-3 with the following teams on his schedule:

DEN
    SF
    BUF
    SEA
    MIA

He should have finished 12-4. He couldn't guide his team to the finish line
    and the owner wasn't satisfied after spending big $$$, get over it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    LOL, yeah THEY WERE SUUUCH GOOD Longtime FRIENDS. THeir relationship was soley bases on business. Not like they were college roomates
    Umm, I didn't say "THEY WERE SUUUCH GOOD Longtime FRIENDS."

I was simply stating that maybe he liked Brett enough as a person to name his kid after him. Pure speculation on my part of course.

No need to read too into it bro...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by scuppers View Post
    The coach should be able to choose his/her quarterback, particularly when it is in August.
    I appreciate the attempt at the gender neutral hypothetical question.

But you should have added "or gal" when asking how do you fire "the guy" - for PC consistency...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    No. He didnt want Favre b/c he new Favre was an over the hill, past his prime , mistake prone, selfish prima donna who would be a distraction to his football team.

And he was right.
    don't think he wanted pennington starting either

All Pro
    don't think he wanted pennington starting either
    I think everyone was high on Brett Ratliff. Mangini included. I think Eric was hoping to give Ratliff one or two more years on the bench with Penny a hold the fort kind of guy.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Maybe Eric named his kid after Brett Ratliff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    Maybe Eric named his kid after Brett Ratliff.
    Perhaps he was the child's real father.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by scuppers View Post
    I had not heard until this morning where the Daily News and NY Times both reported, that Mangini was against the Favre acquisition. If that is the case I do not understand how the Jets fired him. The coach, while maybe not having final say in all personnel matters such as the draft, etc... should be able to choose his/her quarterback, particularly when it is in August. The Jets lost in large part b/c Favre was horrible down the stretch - how could you fire the guy for the failure of a quarterback he did not even want?
    He was fired because he did not have his team ready to play the last 5 weeks of the season.

I don't care if Rick Mirer was the QB. The team was just not psychologically ready to play 60 minutes of football. That falls on the head coach.

Also, Favre had nothing to do with the stubborn, conservative defensive gameplan. That's on Mangini too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Who cares??? He was 8-3 with the following teams on his schedule:

DEN
    SF
    BUF
    SEA
    MIA

He should have finished 12-4. He couldn't guide his team to the finish line
    and the owner wasn't satisfied after spending big $$$, get over it.
    He can't guide Favre's arm to stop throwing hail mary passes on 2nd down halfway through the 3rd quarter.

The owner spent big $$$ on a QB who did this down the stretch...