Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (NEWS) Browns Hire Three New Coordinators

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

(NEWS) Browns Hire Three New Coordinators

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Browns fill out coaching staff with additions of Daboll, Ryan, Seely
    Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns hired Brian Daboll as offensive coordinator, Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator and Brad Seely as assistant head coach/special teams coordinator on Wednesday.

"I am extremely pleased to bring three quality people in Brian, Rob and Brad to our coaching staff and to the Cleveland Browns organization," said Browns coach Eric Mangini. "I know firsthand that all three are very experienced, talented and dedicated coaches who share the same team-first vision and are passionate towards our goal of bringing an NFL championship to Cleveland."

Rob Ryan joins Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland after spending the last five seasons as Oakland's defensive coordinator.

Mangini is reunited with Daboll, Ryan and Seely as all four coaches spent a four year stretch together from 2000 to 2003 as part of the New England Patriots coaching staff. In those four seasons in New England, Mangini led the defensive backs, Daboll was a defensive assistant and then wide receivers coach, Ryan guided the linebackers and Seely coached the special teams unit.

Daboll joins the Browns with 11 years of coaching experience, including nine years in the NFL. A native of Welland, Ontario, Daboll spent the last two seasons with the New York Jets as quarterbacks coach alongside Mangini. In the 2008 season, Daboll played a major role in acclimating future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre to the Jets' offense after Favre came out of retirement and was acquired by the Jets after a prolific career with the Green Bay Packers. In 2008, Favre ranked fifth in the NFL in completion percentage (65.7), sixth in completions (343), ninth in touchdowns (22) and 11th in passing yards (3,472).

"I could not be more excited to have the opportunity to work for the Cleveland Browns, one of the most storied franchises in the history of the NFL," said Daboll. "Growing up a short drive away, I know how devoted and dedicated Browns fans are. I plan to use the experience I have garnered in my coaching career, on both offense and defense, to craft a tough, smart, hardworking unit."

Ryan brings to the Browns 22 years of coaching experience, including 11 years in the NFL and the last five seasons as the Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator (2004-08). Last season, Ryan’s Oakland defense ranked 10th in the league against the pass with an average of 201.3 yards allowed per game, ranked 10th in the NFL with 16 interceptions and 13th in the league with 32 sacks.

"It's great to be part of the Browns organization and to be reunited with Eric Mangini," said Ryan. "Brian, Brad and myself have accomplished a lot of good things with Eric in the past and I look forward to continuing that in Cleveland. Having been around the game of football my entire life, I have always admired the history and passion associated with this franchise. I am excited to be a part of it and to work with a defense that has a good mix of young players and veterans."

Seely provides the Browns with 31 years of coaching experience, including 20 years in the NFL. Seely spent the last ten seasons with the New England Patriots as special teams coach and has celebrated three Super Bowl championships as a member of the Patriots staff. In 2008, Seely guided a Patriots special teams unit that ranked third in the NFL in kickoff returns with an average starting position of just over the 30-yard line (30.5) and featured third-year place kicker Stephen Gostkowski, who earned Pro Bowl honors and led the NFL with a career-best 148 points and 36 field goals.

"Eric and I have forged a relationship over the last ten years and I look forward to continuing that with the Browns," said Seely. "The Browns are very special. Having been in the NFL for many years, I am very aware of how important the team is to the city of Cleveland and its place in the NFL."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Well its good he didn't try to take Westhoff, anyways...

The Ryan pick up is serious business for mangini and the browns...The Dabol pickup? lol- isn't that the doofus who was in charge of Brett ****ing Favre this season? lol

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Well its good he didn't try to take Westhoff, anyways...
    Hard to do that since Westhoff is under contract. Eric has got himself a good special teams coach in Seely however.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayTPenny View Post
    The Ryan pick up is serious business for mangini and the browns...The Dabol pickup? lol- isn't that the doofus who was in charge of Brett ****ing Favre this season? lol
    LOL Eric has finally got "his guys" in place. He and Rob Ryan are like brothers. Rob would have been The Jets new defensive coordinator if Eric wasn't fired.

All Pro
    Ah, 'F' Mangini and 'F' the Browns - burn in hell

Quote Originally Posted by el_dub80 View Post
    Ah, 'F' Mangini and 'F' the Browns - burn in hell
    I'm surprised that none of you noticed that he STOLE Brad Seely from the Pats and Belichick. Mangini has been close to Seely but he's stayed with the Pats and Belichick forever.

This matters A LOT for the Jets. I don't care how good you are, you need good people around you and Belichick has lost 3 VERY good people around him this offseason.

All League
    What a fat clown this Mangini is!
    He saddles us with the incompetent Sutton for 3 years.
    With the Browns, he brings in a Ryan as DC.
    I wish him all the success he brought the Jets in his second year here every year with the Browns, until he's back giving out jock straps for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    I wish him all the success he brought the Jets in his second year here every year with the Browns, until he's back giving out jock straps for a living.
    Do you follow the Jets at all?

Mangini has wanted Ryan for the last two years but stupid Davis had him under contract.

Ryan would have been the coordinator here if the Jets were smart and kept Mangini.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I'm surprised that none of you noticed that he STOLE Brad Seely from the Pats and Belichick. Mangini has been close to Seely but he's stayed with the Pats and Belichick forever.

This matters A LOT for the Jets. I don't care how good you are, you need good people around you and Belichick has lost 3 VERY good people around him this offseason.
    Bill Belichick has been able to survive these losses because New England is The Glory Day Niners of The East.

Belichick, Pioli, Charlie and Romeo and others turned The Pats into a championship machine. The machine is so strong that it almost doesn't matter who takes over at OC, DC etc

It's sort of like when Walsh and Montana left the Niners. The machine was so powerful that Siefert and Young carried on with success after the legends were gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Mangini's staff with The Jets wasn't completely his. He wanted Rob Ryan from day one. Rob Ryan would have been The Jets DC in 08 if not for Al Davis and Rob Ryan would have been The Jets DC if Mangini was still the Jets head coach in 2009.

All League
    Is It me or the Browns not having a GM in place. Kinda weird..

All Pro

There have been rumors about Seely going for a while as his contract was not
    extended and that is usually a sign that either party wants to sever the
    relationship. Stole, I don't think so, but whatever floats your boat. Outside of
    our kicker the Pats special teams were not as special as they have been in prior
    years. I expect it was like any other coaching change. Sometimes new ideas
    need to be worked into any organization to keep it from being predictable. He
    will do fine in Cleveland as it was probably just as good a move for him as it
    was for the Pats. Best of luck to him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Nice looking staff. Cleveland fans should be excited.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JI View Post
    Is It me or the Browns not having a GM in place. Kinda weird..
    Is it kind of backwards but maybe Cleveland doesn't want the GM to be the boss. They want the head coach to be the boss after what happened with Phil Savage and Romeo.

im a little upset about the Ryan hiring because I kinda was hoping that he would come to work wit Rex, but the more I hear about Mike Pettine who is rex's right hand man i like him more. Daboll they could take cuz he wasnt anything special, i mean he did a real good job coaching favre and clemens.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    Is it kind of backwards but maybe Cleveland doesn't want the GM to be the boss. They want the head coach to be the boss after what happened with Phil Savage and Romeo.
    Good Point..I just wonder who would take the job other than a yes man at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JumboJenkins77 View Post
    im a little upset about the Ryan hiring because I kinda was hoping that he would come to work wit Rex, but the more I hear about Mike Pettine who is rex's right hand man i like him more. Daboll they could take cuz he wasnt anything special, i mean he did a real good job coaching favre and clemens.
    Daboll did ok with Ratliff. The key with Daboll is that he is going to run the type of offense that Eric wants. It's going to be more to the style of The Pats offense. Daboll and Eric are on the same page unlike what Eric had with Schottenheimer.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JI View Post
    Good Point..I just wonder who would take the job other than a yes man at this point.
    I think that once The Ravens season officially ends. George Kokinis will be named The Browns GM. He's done a great job with Baltimore and he's on the same page with Eric Mangini. I think that is the on going theme with The New Cleveland Browns. Eric is going to get to run things his way.

All League
    Do you follow the Jets at all?

Mangini has wanted Ryan for the last two years but stupid Davis had him under contract.

Ryan would have been the coordinator here if the Jets were smart and kept Mangini.
    I'm willing to bet I've been suffering with this team longer than you have!

Maybe I need to state my point in a different way so that it is easier for you to understand.

With the Browns, Mangini selects a coach who has a good reputation as a good DC.

With the Jets, Mangini selects a coach (Sutton) who is so inept he wouldn't last as a HS coach.

Not only that, he should have seen this, uh, I don't know, maybe 2 years ago, fired Sutton, and if Ryan wasn't available, tried someone else at the position.

I hope this makes it clearer for you, or maybe I need to have followed the Jets for more than 40 years in order for you to not need to insult me.

Better yet, since I believe it is your manlove for Mangini behind your post, why don't you go and become a Brown's fan, and go post on a Brown's site, you can go call yourself "Fangini". See I made it easy for you, so you don't have to use up any additional brain power.