Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAVRE - "Will He Come Back"

Undrafted Free Agent

FAVRE - "Will He Come Back"

Interesting Piece on Brett and some insightful comments by quite a few ex Packer fans who are now following the Jets in the comment section linked below:

Will Favre Come Back? Should He?
    By Toni Monkovic

By Rich Johnson
    I’ve been a Packer fan since about 1960. I’ve followed them through the glory of the Lombardi years, followed by 27 years of abject failure and finally through the Favre era. I am a huge Favre fan. When the trade of Brett to the Jets occurred, many Packers fans started rooting for both teams. I was among a significant minority who transferred their loyalties entirely to the Jets, and after following them as closely as I have in this last season, I am now, regardless of whether or not Favre returns, likely to remain a Jets fan into the future for better or worse (is there a better?)

Once the Jets have settled on a new head coach, the question of Favre’s return will almost certainly be the next big issue. On a purely personal level, do I want to see him back? Well, I’m torn on that. I would miss seeing him play, but I don’t want to see him go through another year like this last one (or worse). With everything exactly as it stands now, I would lean toward seeing him retired. But I’ll try to look at this from a more objective standpoint:

Should Favre come back? There are lots of negatives: His age, his 22 interceptions, his and the team’s epic failure at the end of the season, his salary cap numbers, and last but not least, the collective will of the Jets fan base and media — which appears to be largely opposed to seeing him in a Jets uniform for another year.

On the positive side: His arm will evidently be healthy; he has 18 years of experience; and most important, that even with all the negatives, he still remains the best quarterback on the team.

However, I think the answer is much simpler than that: If the new head coach really wants him to come back, then he should. If he doesn’t want him, then he should retire.

How about the other question: Will he come back? Almost all the speculation now suggests that he won’t, but again I think the key question really is, Can the new head coach get what he wants, whatever his decision is? I’m starting to think that the answer to that may well be — yes, he probably can.

First of all, when the new coach is named, it’s not going to be hard to tell. I doubt that any coach is going to stand up and just flat-out say that he doesn’t want Favre back, but the question will come up, and if his answer is something like “…great career…Hall of Fame quarterback…hoping to get in touch with him soon and get some idea…ultimately it’s his decision,” well, that’s a pretty clear message: Go away. If Favre were to announce his plans to return in the face of that kind of lukewarm reception, he would face a firestorm of negativity from the fans, the New York media (and probably the national press as well). It’s hard to imagine that he would put himself through that again, so I think that would be enough to ensure his retirement.

In any case, the coach could always cut or release him (a trade seems unlikely); I just don’t think it would ever come to that.

But what if it’s the other way? What if he gets up and says “…we can win this year, but I need Brett back at QB… I absolutely want him and I will do everything I can to convince him…” and then hops the next plane to Mississippi. Can he make it happen? If he’s really determined, I think he can.

Keep in mind that the last few years of Favre retirement “drama” have occurred in the face of a non-committal attitude from Packers management. It’s been a while since Brett has heard a clear message from his current team that they really want him back. Unless I miss my guess, Brett wants to be wanted, and if he hears that kind of appeal from his new coach, that may well be half the battle.

The other half is even more important. The “firestorm” of negativity that would most likely greet Brett’s announcement? The new coach can make that not happen. If he’s willing to make it clear that it’s his decision — that he has appealed to Favre to give it one more year, then he can take the onus off Favre entirely. All of a sudden, he’s not another aging QB who doesn’t know when to quit, he’s a guy answering the call, coming back to help the team at the coach’s request. He becomes something of a good guy. With expectations more realistic and a lot of the pressure removed, it would be a much more appealing situation.

Of course, the new coach would risk a lot of criticism - some immediately but a LOT more if the season is another disappointment. Would any coach be willing to risk that? Gee, I hope so. If there’s one thing I don’t want in a coach, it’s somebody who makes decisions based on avoiding criticism (maybe we’ll find a guy who might go for it on fourth-and-one from the 35). If he were to put himself out on a limb like that, I would consider it a very good sign.

Is any new coach going to want Brett back badly enough to do all that? I have absolutely no idea; that’s why they get paid for this stuff. What I do hope (and think) is that any decision on Favre’s future as a Jet may very well rest exactly where it belongs — with the next head coach.

Link to comments:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ack-should-he/

Post Note - There are more ex Packer fans than I realized who will be watching very closely how the bolded section of this article plays itself out before deciding if they have found a new team for good !
    Last edited by Determination#4; 01-17-2009 at 02:45 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Blame bad “opponent specific game-plans”, poor play-calling, lack of running game, mediocre receivers, poor clock-management, a tired, injured and often clueless defense in the second half of the season.

Blame all that.

But don’t blame Brett!

Brett Favre is a super-star and even with 40 he still has all that we need at QB to go to the playoffs next year.

PLEASE do not give us another does of Clemens or, worse, do not try to win-now with our aging veterans with a rookie QB!

We have another one or two years to perform on the top-level of the NFL before we will have to rebuild again.

We need to use that window and we need Brett Favre under center!
    Wow. I have no words for this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Wow. I have no words for this.
    makes me chuckle. lol. good stuff there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    After taking a whole "six minutes" to read and digest the whole piece, I am not that surprised that you have "no words for this" !!

All League
    God I hate to say this.

About the last 2 months I have vehemently been against bringing back Favre. Now, I am still sticking to the training camp competition between rat, clemens, ainge, and draft pick.....but I gotta say I won't be disappointed if he comes back.

He can win, he can take us where we haven't been in a looooong time, I know he's old, but we can win now if he comes back, especially if schotty stays at o coordinator. He will have the playbook down pat and will have the offseason to train instead of laying around on his couch in mississippi like last year.

Basically all I am saying is....if he doesn't come back I'm fine with that, if he wants to comeback, I want him back.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    God I hate to say this.

About the last 2 months I have vehemently been against bringing back Favre. Now, I am still sticking to the training camp competition between rat, clemens, ainge, and draft pick.....but I gotta say I won't be disappointed if he comes back.

He can win, he can take us where we haven't been in a looooong time, I know he's old, but we can win now if he comes back, especially if schotty stays at o coordinator. He will have the playbook down pat and will have the offseason to train instead of laying around on his couch in mississippi like last year.

Basically all I am saying is....if he doesn't come back I'm fine with that, if he wants to comeback, I want him back.
    So what's up with his shoulder injury. If he decides to come back does his shoulder injury (torn biceps tendon) just automatically become healed? If he has surgery...how long to heal? Does he miss mini camps, etc.? Does he fall behind even more if we have a new OC...learning a new system. I say we make a clean break from Farve. Build a GREAT defense nder the direction of new HC (hopefully) Rex Ryan. Let one of our 3 QB's take charge and we will be better off. Besides we'd save $$$ w/o Farve to be able to afford Ray "freakin" Lewis!

All Pro
    Jesus, Nooooooooooooooo

Aw Gawd Nooooooooooooo

Brett !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freakin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

RETIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIROJET-WPB View Post
    So what's up with his shoulder injury. If he decides to come back does his shoulder injury (torn biceps tendon) just automatically become healed? If he has surgery...how long to heal? Does he miss mini camps, etc.? Does he fall behind even more if we have a new OC...learning a new system. I say we make a clean break from Farve. Build a GREAT defense nder the direction of new HC (hopefully) Rex Ryan. Let one of our 3 QB's take charge and we will be better off. Besides we'd save $$$ w/o Farve to be able to afford Ray "freakin" Lewis!
    He said he doesn't require surgery and it will take about 2-3 months to heal from that type of injury, as far I know about a biceps rupture. It's already been almost a month so another month and a half and he'll be good to go to train in the offseason.

As far as a new OC....that's where I have a concern. The only way Favre comes back IMO is if Schotty stays. He isn't going to go through learning a new system and I wouldn't want to either.

Like I said I would not mind AT ALL if we go through with a competition in training camp between rat, clemens, ainge, and draft pick.

Hall Of Fame
    As I have said before, getting rid of Brett Favre is going to be as easy for the Jets as flicking a piece of snot off your fingernail. There always exists the chance that the piece of snot will stop clinging of it's own volition to the fingernail but as of today it has $13 million reasons plus however many extra reasons that come from endosements linked to the career of an active player.

Call it say $18+ million reasons to come back.

Add to that he has the public pre-endorsement of the owner and the GM to come back when he makes the decision...

What is there not to like in all of this if you are Brett Favre?

Honestly I do not think this is a 2009 question. I think the real question concerns 2010.
    Last edited by EM31; 01-17-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    As I have said before, getting rid of Brett Favre is going to be as easy for the Jets as flicking a piece of snot off your fingernail.
    Did they teach that lack of "class" in the school you went to ? Or is it something you have worked very hard at for all of your life ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Determination#4 View Post
    Did they teach that lack of "class" in the school you went to ? Or is it something you have worked very hard at for all of your life ?
    Favre did not earn respect playing for the Jets. If you feel he is owed more than the 12 million he collected this year then you are delusional.

Let the Packers pay him what is "owed".

Hall Of Fame
    Or better yet... How about Favre show a little class and **** the heck off?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Determination#4 View Post
    Determination#4, since you are a Packers / Favre fan let me ask you this.

The last few years of Favre's career with the Packers did Favre participate in the Packers off-season workouts - you know the ones that every team has which begin around late March?

Or did he stay in Mississippi and go back up to GB in July for beginning of training camp?

Undrafted Free Agent
    I WANT HIM BACK

lol in all seriousness. I'd like to see him comeback, gives Rat and Kellen more time to develop. Most good QB's do well after they sit for long (Eli Manning)

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Determination#4, since you are a Packers / Favre fan let me ask you this.

The last few years of Favre's career with the Packers did Favre participate in the Packers off-season workouts - you know the ones that every team has which begin around late March?

Or did he stay in Mississippi and go back up to GB in July for beginning of training camp?

I can answer that one for you since Determination isn't on. When Mike McCarthy was brought in as the Packers new coach, Favre participated in off season work outs. There were a couple mini camps he was excused from, but for the most part, I believe Brett did. There was also one season (can't remember which one right now) where he hired a personal trainer during the off season and did his offseason work outs at home in Mississippi with him. Now, when Sherman was coach for GB, Sherman didn't require Favre or some of the other older veterans to participate in all of the off season work outs and mini camps.

Now, if your question is, if the new coach wants Brett at all mini camps and all off season work outs, the the answer is that Brett would be there.

Banned
    If Favre comes back, mark my words, TO will be his main target!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pennington10ToMoss83 View Post
    I WANT HIM BACK

lol in all seriousness. I'd like to see him comeback, gives Rat and Kellen more time to develop. Most good QB's do well after they sit for long (Eli Manning)
    Eli sat for 1/2 of his rookie season???

I WANT HIM BACK

How long should they sit? The Rat has been here for how many years? Favre needs to be gone YESTERDAY!

All Pro
    in all seriousness. I'd like to see him comeback, gives Rat and Kellen more time to develop.

Most good QB's do well after they sit for long (Eli Manning)
    Eli sat for 9 games before taking over.

You are suggesting it would be a good idea for Kellen to sit for FOUR YEARS !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Eli sat for 9 games before taking over.

You are suggesting it would be a good idea for Kellen to sit for FOUR YEARS !!
    That would make him like 7x better than Manning.