Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Is Josh Freeman this year's Joe Flacco?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843

    Is Josh Freeman this year's Joe Flacco?

    I ask because I have now seen him projected in the top 20. 6'6" with a very strong arm. I've never seen him play. Anyone have opinions on this kid. It sounds like he might not have the head or guts for it.

    -----------------------------------
    Walterfootball.com
    2009 NFL Draft Prospects:
    Josh Freeman Profile



    # Josh Freeman, 6-6/238

    # Quarterback

    # Kansas State


    Josh Freeman's Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

    Strengths: Elite frame with excellent height and in great condition ... No questions about arm strength; shows elite arm strength on 15- to 20-yard stick throws (outs, posts) ... Uses nice touch and throws a catchable ball ... Can throw the ball on the run ... Very low interception percentage from sophomore to junior year; Solid decision maker ... Nice footwork and has a quick drop ... Outstanding feel for the pass rush ... Great mobility and can gain yardage with his feet ... Extremely high upside.

    Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold ... Questionable leadership ... Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.

    Summary: Freeman's physical tools makes him a near lock for the first day of the NFL Draft, because of his physical tools, with first-round potential. Personally, I would have to know more about Josh Freeman the person (character, work ethic, leadership) to give a more accurate grade. Freeman is a classic example of a Boom or Bust prospect.

    Player Comparison: JaMarcus Russell.Russell had questionable intangibles coming out of LSU with a cannon for a right arm (Freeman's arm is not as strong as Russell's). His accuracy in the NFL is horrendous, but he still shows amazing upside.

    Note: I am not saying Freeman is the next Jamarcus Russell (as far as a bust in the NFL so far) just that they are very comparable as prospects.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    Posted: 1/7/2009 8:08 PM
    Josh Freeman full scouting report
    Athleticism

    For being such a large specimen Josh has surprising foot speed, and has the ability to accelerate away from pressure and cover ground running downfield. Has excellent mobility within the pocket, using his feet to quickly sidestep rushers while at the same time maintaining the body control necessary to deliver the ball accurately with proper technique. He has good knee bend and strides into his throws with very good hip and body rotation, allowing him to further take advantage of his rocket arm.

    Competitiveness

    While not surrounded with outstanding talent at KSU, Josh still managed to be a very productive quarterback against major competition. Because of his off season work on his fundamentals and mechanics, he was consistently accurate when throwing in the pocket. He took a lot of big hits but stood tough in the pocket – his ability to fight off the rush and break tackles with his strength reminds me of Daunte Culpepper from his Minnesota days. Led his team to back to back victories against decidedly more talented Texas his freshman and sophomore years.

    Mental Alertness

    Josh always had the big arm but really surprised people in the fall with how much he had improved his footwork and mechanics. He demonstrates great patience in the pocket and understands when its time to escape, and when he needs to put touch on the ball instead of relying on his arm strength. He can move thru his progressions with ease and understands where his receivers are located at all points on the field. He needs to focus on not rushing his throws when scrambling out of the pocket, as he sometimes has a bad habit of not resetting his feet and squaring his shoulders to his target.

    Strength/Burst

    Josh has a massive frame and uses it to consistently fend of defenders in the backfield – it really takes a lot to bring him down. He started the fifth game of his freshman year and has not missed a game since, despite taking consistent punishment behind a mediocre offensive line. The ball explodes out of his hand, and he has an elite combination of size, strength, and athleticism.



    Strengths

    Josh has elite size, playing strength, and arm strength. His arm is helped further by his ability to stride into his throws and rotate his body with fluidity. His best throws are the tough outs, digs, and seam routes downfield. Showed great mobility and toughness in the pocket, and surprising athleticism scrambling, whether he was simply buying time or taking off downfield – 14 rushing touchdowns in 2008.

    Weaknesses

    When scrambling out of the pocket, his mechanics break down at times as he rushes throws at times, which can lead to inaccurate throws. While he showed massive improvements on the mental side of the game he is still very raw and continuing to learn how to apply his vast skill set.

    Summary

    One of the things that convinced me to give Kevin Smith a first round grade last year is his ridiculous production with limited talent around him, and defenses game-planning entirely around him. While Freeman wasn’t close to breaking any all time college records outside of his school’s, his 34 total TD’s and overall production was very impressive when you consider the lack of talent at offensive skill positions at KSU and a defense that gave up 42 points and 533 ypg in Big 12 games. Besides having ideal size, a huge arm, and great athleticism, he is to me the most consistent in this draft class in terms of mechanics and footwork in the pocket, and this translates to accuracy. He will need to learn how to slow it down when on the run, and at barely 21 is very young mentally within the game, but clearly has all the physical tools and, demonstrated by his improvements in all facets this season, also has the desire to be an excellent NFL starter.

  3. #3
    Im going to say he is not this years Flacco...Flacco was projected at low third round before the combine...This kid is already projected low first round, which to be honest is completely crazy.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    If by Flacco you mean overrated, tall QBs with cannon arms, then yea.

    No, I don't believe in Joe. I don't believe in Freeman either.

    ^^^ hate hate hate hate hate

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lindenhurst NY
    Posts
    1,917
    I think hes better then Sanchez. He ran a pro style offense in KS with no weapons.If he falls to the second round and that a big IF i would take a shot on him.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    If by Flacco you mean overrated, tall QBs with cannon arms, then yea.

    No, I don't believe in Joe. I don't believe in Freeman either.

    ^^^ hate hate hate hate hate
    Kind of wondering why you hate Flacco. I think he's getting too much credit for the turnaround in Baltimore, but I see him getting better.

    edit: and i'm not a believer of Freeman either. I think he should have stayed another year.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    Kind of wondering why you hate Flacco. I think he's getting too much credit for the turnaround in Baltimore, but I see him getting better.

    edit: and i'm not a believer of Freeman either. I think he should have stayed another year.
    I'm a hater, and the Ravens have to get him a really good WR.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    I've seen a bit of Kansas State football every now and then, and I never once thought Josh Freeman was a great prospect. Always had a low completion percentage and has not played well against the better teams in his conference (5 TD, 6 INT vs Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas Tech, his team went 0-5 in those games). Hell, most of his stats were accumulated against awful teams like Iowa State (4 TD, 0 INT), North Texas (3 TD, 0 INT), Montana State (2 TD, 0 INT), Louisiana-Lafayette (3 TD, 0 INT)

    I think Freeman is a case of scouts looking at him and falling in love with size and an arm, and not anything else he's actually done on the football field, which is completely unimpressive.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I ask because I have now seen him projected in the top 20. 6'6" with a very strong arm. I've never seen him play. Anyone have opinions on this kid. It sounds like he might not have the head or guts for it.

    -----------------------------------
    Walterfootball.com
    2009 NFL Draft Prospects:
    Josh Freeman Profile



    # Josh Freeman, 6-6/238

    # Quarterback

    # Kansas State


    Josh Freeman's Scouting Report
    By Matt McGuire

    Strengths: Elite frame with excellent height and in great condition ... No questions about arm strength; shows elite arm strength on 15- to 20-yard stick throws (outs, posts) ... Uses nice touch and throws a catchable ball ... Can throw the ball on the run ... Very low interception percentage from sophomore to junior year; Solid decision maker ... Nice footwork and has a quick drop ... Outstanding feel for the pass rush ... Great mobility and can gain yardage with his feet ... Extremely high upside.

    Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold ... Questionable leadership ... Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.

    Summary: Freeman's physical tools makes him a near lock for the first day of the NFL Draft, because of his physical tools, with first-round potential. Personally, I would have to know more about Josh Freeman the person (character, work ethic, leadership) to give a more accurate grade. Freeman is a classic example of a Boom or Bust prospect.

    Player Comparison: JaMarcus Russell.Russell had questionable intangibles coming out of LSU with a cannon for a right arm (Freeman's arm is not as strong as Russell's). His accuracy in the NFL is horrendous, but he still shows amazing upside.

    Note: I am not saying Freeman is the next Jamarcus Russell (as far as a bust in the NFL so far) just that they are very comparable as prospects.
    Thats a silly last comment. ONly thing Freeman and Russell have in common is both are black. I love how everyone tries to group these black QBs together. Jamarcus Russell was considered a franchise QB who was drafted number 1 overall for a reason. J Freeman might be a first round prospect ,but there isn't a scout who would Put Freeman ,in Russell class, as a prospect. Again not going to rehash what I said(look in Jason Smith thread draft section) Russell is a bust is just an ignorant statement.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-01-2009 at 04:10 PM.

  10. #10
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    112
    I don't think they are lumping Freeman and Russell together because they are black...big arm, great size, but lacks intangibles, shotty mechanics, erratic accuracy...

    I think in the right situation, Freeman could one day be better than Flacco but unlike Flacco, I don't think Freeman would be able to jump in and start right away with any success...

    I don't think Freeman is worthy of a first round pick...way too much of a developmental project at the most hit or miss position in the draft...

    drafting a quarterback anywhere is a gamble...

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Thats a silly last comment. ONly thing Freeman and Russell have in common is both are black. I love how everyone tries to group these black QBs together. Jamarcus Russell was considered a franchise QB who was drafted number 1 overall for a reason. J Freeman might be a first round prospect ,but there isn't a scout who would Put Freeman ,in Russell class, as a prospect. Again not going to rehash what I said(look in Jason Smith thread draft section) Russell is a bust is just an ignorant statement.
    Was thinking the same thing. After starting 4 games in 07, 08 was essentially Russell's rookie year. How the hell is someone deemed a bust after pretty much 1 season?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Russell had great mechanics as a prospect. In fact, the more I think about it JaMarcus Russell wasn't too different from Carson Palmer as a prospect.

    Freeman is nothing like Russell. He's barely like Flacco. I really don't get the hype behind this guy.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Freeman is nothing like Russell. He's barely like Flacco. I really don't get the hype behind this guy.
    People just think all it takes to be a QB is size and arm strength.

  14. #14
    Freeman should have stayed in school. Bad move. I equate this guy more to Andre Woodson then Joe Flacco. I say someone pulls the trigger on him in the 3rd round. A project though. Can't see him seeing the field in his first few years.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,303

    I don't know much about this Player

    But with all the buzz around him,i did a little research on him.I watch a few clips,checked his progression over the past 3 yrs,checked the teams he played against and then I took a look at the roster he played with.


    Here's a question.


    How does a player improve his stats yr after yr yet have no quality pro prospects around him to assist him.I can't find on any list,1 top 10 player at any position on the K-State roster.Yet this kid managed to get his name mentioned as a posible 1st day pick and just about every draft expert out there has him as the 3rd best Option at QB in the upcoming draft.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Russell had great mechanics as a prospect. In fact, the more I think about it JaMarcus Russell wasn't too different from Carson Palmer as a prospect.

    Freeman is nothing like Russell. He's barely like Flacco. I really don't get the hype behind this guy.
    Truth be told J Russell had some mechanic flaws as a prospect. Jamarcus Russell agent Hired Tom Brady personel QB coach Tom martinez to clean up those flaws leading up to the draft.
    http://www.sfgate.com/templates/type...teractive.html

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Truth be told J Russell had some mechanic flaws as a prospect. Jamarcus Russell agent Hired Tom Brady personel QB coach Tom martinez to clean up those flaws leading up to the draft.
    http://www.sfgate.com/templates/type...teractive.html
    Yea I remember that. I still think Russell had pretty good mechanics for a young QB, and hiring a good QB coach would be common sense for a semi-raw #1 pick who many trashed.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Freeman won't be anything for at least 4-5 years...if that.

    There's no comparison. He's severely overhyped because of his big arm.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    If by Flacco you mean overrated, tall QBs with cannon arms, then yea.

    No, I don't believe in Joe. I don't believe in Freeman either.

    ^^^ hate hate hate hate hate
    what? u dont believe in joe?? obviously u dont have an eye for talent..while he didnt put up huge numbers you can see the kid has huge potential..not many better arms than his outside of cutler..havent seen freeman-cant comment on him..will be watching at combines..mark my words flacco will be and already has been very succesful

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Freeman won't be anything for at least 4-5 years...if that.

    There's no comparison. He's severely overhyped because of his big arm.
    if the kid doesnt do anything by the third year how much longer do you think he would be able to stick around in this league? I wouldnt think he would make it to the 4-5 years if he doesnt show something.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us