Thread: Jets Pro BOwl Practice Report

Jets Pro BOwl Practice Report

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/post...esence-is-felt

Ryan's Not in Hawaii But His Presence Is Felt
    Published: Tue, February 3, 2009 - 6:45pm ET
    Randy Lange
    By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for The Record of Hackensack, N.J.

File Under: Hawaii, Rex Ryan, Pro Bowl, Kris Jenkins, John Harbaugh, Mike Pettine, Baltiimore Ravens, Kapolei High School
    change font email article

02/03 — The rain rolled away, except for the mists that oozed down Oahu's ravines and across highway H-1 to spritz car windshields. And so a sunny, breezy day in Hawaii heralded in one more week of NFL football.

The AFC Pro Bowl squad practiced first this morning on the Kapolei High School field 30 miles from downtown Honolulu. And even though the workout was hardly high-intensity and lasted for a few ticks under an hour, AFC and Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh liked what he saw.

"It doesn't really hit you until you stood in front of this team last night," Harbaugh said after the first of five practices this week before Sunday's game. "We've got a pretty good team."

And the Jets' contingent helped make it so. Six members of the Green & White were there in their red and white uniforms. Thomas Jones looked every bit as muscular and quick-cutting as he did during the season. Leon Washington showed his speed getting out of the backfield and snaring some short Peyton Manning passes. Alan Faneca and Nick Mangold worked along the offensive line. Kris Jenkins looked fine at nose. Darrelle Revis kept step with Texans WR Andre Johnson.

Before the NFC players took the same field a few minutes later, Harbaugh met with reporters leaving the field. I asked him how it felt being the head coach of the AFC's runnerup squad coaching in this game but without his defensive coordinator — new Jets head coach Rex Ryan, of course — who helped make the Ravens' success happen this season.

"No doubt, Rex and also Mike Pettine, they deserve to be out here, too," Harbaugh said, adding into the conversation Pettine, who went from Baltimore LBs coach to Jets D-coordinator. "Buddy Ryan used to say 'There's a winner in town,' you know? The Jets are going to love every practice and every meeting. Rex is a highly competitive guy. He's awesome."

Harbaugh could've given the coachingly correct response without the extra sincerity, but sincere is what he does. In fact, that trait has rubbed off on his Ravens staff. I asked Jenkins back at the players' hotel, the Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa further west in Kapolei if he'd had a chance to communicate with Ryan yet and what his first impressions were. He smiled and dropped his voice a conspiratorial 10 decibels.

"I think it's going to be a good year," Jenkins said. "A lot of the coaches here are telling me that I'm going to enjoy him. It's good. I'm looking forward to this."

But before jumping into Ryan's and Pettine's defensive plans, Big Jenk will be playing in another Pro Bowl. He's been to Hawaii before but he said it never gets old.

"Nope, never does. It's an honor. This is paradise," he said, looking around at the Ihilani with its saltwater pond stocked with hammerhead sharks and stingrays and the white-sand lagoon and Pacific Ocean just beyond. "To get to play football with everybody who's been selected as the best ... it's tops."

Banned
    Darelle Revis is the only man in the NFL I'd trust to cover Andre Johnson 1 on 1.

I <3 Darrelle Revis.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Darelle Revis is the only man in the NFL I'd trust to cover Andre Johnson 1 on 1.

I <3 Darrelle Revis.
    + 1. I was just going to make a post about that. He did make the Pro Bowl but he's still grossly underrated at this point. Call me a homer, but I'll say it - Hall of Fame potential.

Hall Of Fame
    The following is the Patriots Pro-Bowl report:

The end.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post

I <3 Darrelle Revis.
    I love Revis too, but you gotta put Nnamdi on your list too. He is truly a great cornerback.

JetsFan2012
    Leon Washington showed his speed getting out of the backfield and snaring some short Peyton Manning passes.
    The Pro Bowl is such a tease.

btw, I met Leon at an autograph signing last weekend. Really nice guy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    The Pro Bowl is such a tease.

btw, I met Leon at an autograph signing last weekend. Really nice guy.

Yeah, he seems it in interviews, humble, sense of humor. What did you get autographed?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    The following is the Patriots Pro-Bowl report:

The end.
    LMFAO!!!

Haha thats ****in hilarious!

Yes, Darrelle Revis, barring any injuries, has the potential to be a Hall of Fame CB. We played prevent defense the whole year and he still made the pro bowl and has 5 picks, 2 game ending.

And seriously....the whole Leon Washington and peyton manning bit....oh what could be......

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Yeah, he seems it in interviews, humble, sense of humor. What did you get autographed?
    My mini-helmet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    My mini-helmet.
    Yikes!

Is that what you call it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yikes!

Is that what you call it?
    Wouldn't that be a condom anyway?

Rookie