Thread: Bart Scott Interview

All League

Bart Scott Interview

http://nyj.scout.com/2/840362.html?r...40813162&ATT=5

A conversation with Bart Scott

By Craig Thomas

Posted Feb 18, 2009

Q)Could you be a Ray Lewis type leader for the Jets defense?

Scott: Iím a little different from Ray. I have been a vocal leader in college and things like that but Iím one of those guys that lead by example. Youíre not going to see me rallying the guys up all the time. Thatís his way. Thatís how he leads. Ed Reed is, I think, an unquestioned leader on our team as well and he leads in a different way.

Q)So what kind of leader are you?

Scott: Because of my experience in getting in the league (as an undrafted free agent), I like to push guys from the back. I like to let the young guys see me working hard and really want them to match my tempo by watching me work hard and showing up in mini-camps and seeing me in things like that where I may be the only starter in a mini-camp but I donít mind doing that because Iím used to working. So guys see me working, coming in, working and practicing.

Q)You really seem to a proponent of practice . . .

Scott: You wonít see me missing practice no matter what. Coach tries to give me a day off and I wonít take it because I feel [if] my guys have to work then I need to work too. I think thatís how guys continue to follow me and a lot of the young guys look up to me, a lot of the middle guys, because they know Iím going to play hurt, Iím going to play injured and like I say, ĎAlways get me up to my feet.í

Q)So what can you bring to the Jets?

Scott: I can go to the Jets and I can set a tempo. I have some unique things to my game thatís unique to just Bart Scott that everybody else canít do. You donít have to take me out. You can put me over the tight end, it doesnít matter. You can put me on tight end. You can take me out of the box. You can leave me in the box. Every linebacker canít say that. Some guys are just pass-defensive linebackers. Some guys are guys who specialize in stopping the run if you want to go back to the Trotters and things like that. You can put me in any situation, Iíll flourish. It doesnít matter to me.

Q)What is Rex going to bring to the Jets?

Scott: First of all, youíre going to see guys be held accountable. Now the whole teamís accountable. No guy can hide under a rock. We always said you had to have tough skin, you had to have skin like an armadillo because if you let the team down youíre going to have to pay for it. Youíre going to have to answer [for] it. A lot of times guys think that guys would have to answer to Ray Lewis. No, we had to answer to each other. And that was instilled, period. And it starts from Rex.

If weíre going to be great itís going to take all of us. Youíre going to watch the film together and if youíre the guy on the film that is letting guys down thatís the loneliest feeling in the world when they say, ĎThis big play happened because look at the effort here.í You canít coach effort.

Q)So some guys aren't going to make the cut?

Scott: Heíll weed those guys out that are not willing to play 100 percent all the time. So thatís what you can expect. You can expect some hard-nosed [football], knocking guys out, not backing down from anybody, ever.

Q)If you come to the Jets, how quickly can you become a leader?

Scott: I think theyíve got a lot of great guys already. Theyíve got some leaders already over there. Kris Jenkins and youíve got Kerry Rhodes so youíve already got pieces involved. Now youíve got to take the young guys under the wing, put him under there and stay on his butt every day.

Q)They do need a weak-side inside linebacker in that defense . . .

Scott: Exactly. I can go in there and I can guarantee all that running coming up the middle, thatíll stop.

All League
    sign this beast. him and harris in the middle will improve the run defense

Veteran
    I think he knows hes coming to The N.Y JETS

Banned
    Very nice, Scotts a hard nosed player that plays gritty, the Jets need someone like that on D.

All Pro
    Great stuff, thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by manmrmoore View Post
    I think he knows hes coming to The N.Y JETS
    Sounds that way. If Rex wants him, I want him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It sounds like he's already been signed

All League
    Could be a solid pickup for that defense, but with Pace & Harris as starters, and assuming we pick up Scott, who plays the other position? Thomas or Gholsten?

Hall Of Fame
    The is THE one free agent I want. Anything else would be fine (CB, etc.), but this is the guy I really want to see suit up in Green-n-White.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Could be a solid pickup for that defense, but with Pace & Harris as starters, and assuming we pick up Scott, who plays the other position? Thomas or Gholsten?
    I think its Bryan Thomas who had a great first half of the season and finished with almost 60 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. Plus, let's make him earn his money.

Until Gholston gets the proper coaching at the OLB position I think Rex should bring him in as a DE when he uses a 4-3 defensive package (position he played at Ohio State). That would not only likely to be effective in rushing the passer but also would build up his confidence on the field.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dassassin View Post
    http://nyj.scout.com/2/840362.html?r...40813162&ATT=5
    Scott: Exactly. I can go in there and I can guarantee all that running coming up the middle, thatíll stop.
    You had me at 'Exactly', Mr. Scott. You had me at 'Exactly'.

Veteran
    He sounds like he has a contract already and hes signed it. He would make a great addition to this defense

It sounds like he is on his way here. This is the FA I want. It allows us to look at Vontae Davis as the CB on Defense. Plus Scott would be that vocal leader that we need here.

Hall Of Fame
    the 27th can't come soon enough.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    It sounds like he is on his way here. This is the FA I want. It allows us to look at Vontae Davis as the CB on Defense. Plus Scott would be that vocal leader that we need here.
    He clearly stated above that he is NOT a vocal leader.