Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leonhard to Jets Never a Doubt

JetsInsider.com Legend

Leonhard to Jets Never a Doubt

I'm friends with a couple of guys who used to play football in the NFL (not anyone high profile), and one guy is friends with Leonhard. He said that Leonhard to the Jets was never a question. He said between Leonhard having something personal to do, the Jets trying to do a lot, it took a few days before free agency started.

He said Leonhard had a few other teams he was contemplating, but my friend said that he thought that would never happen from the way Leonhard spoke about Ryan. He said Leonhard is a true professional, and that we're going to love him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Well, they actually overpaid leonard..of course there was no doubt he wanted to be a Jet..He went where he got the most money...Don't ever think any of these guys go some where out of loyalty...ITS ABOUT THE MONEY.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    Well, they actually overpaid leonard..of course there was no doubt he wanted to be a Jet..He went where he got the most money...Don't ever think any of these guys go some where out of loyalty...ITS ABOUT THE MONEY.
    I agree that they overpaid him, but I'm glad we got him. Our secondary is stronger than ever (on paper, anyway).

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree that they overpaid him, but I'm glad we got him. Our secondary is stronger than ever (on paper, anyway).
    Thats the proper attitude John..who care I like him..Any time these guys talk about wanting to really play for some team it pisses me off..We all know why he came..and good for him he got paid!...Just once in my lifetime I want to see a player say..Hey They gave me the most money thats why I'm here..I would have more respect if they said that then some bulls**t line which they all say , it disingenuous crap.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thats the proper attitude John..who care I like him..Any time these guys talk about wanting to really play for some team it pisses me off..We all know why he came..and good for him he got paid!...Just once in my lifetime I want to see a player say..Hey They gave me the most money thats why I'm here..I would have more respect if they said that then some bulls**t line which they all say , it disingenuous crap.
    I personally think the Rex Ryan discount works backwards here. Scott and Leonhard were both overpaid, and it's a "buddy" bonus that is given. I don't know if this is true, but it seems to be normal. Overpaying seems to be the only way to lure big names to the Jets.

My buddy said that the deal to the Jets was the only one he kept talking about.

All League
    he actually took less money to be a JET. Denver had more money on the table, as per Leonhard himself.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    he actually took less money to be a JET. Denver had more money on the table, as per Leonhard himself.
    Like I said, my friend said that the Jets' offer was the only one he kept talking about because of Ryan.

All Pro
    I wouldn't consider 1 million guarenteed overpaying, not for a 26 year old starter on one of the best defenses in the league last year that also knows our new system.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Every player in the NFL is overpaid.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I wouldn't consider 1 million guarenteed overpaying, not for a 26 year old starter on one of the best defenses in the league last year that also knows our new system.
    +1

Plus the more people he can bring in to be "leaders" on the defense, the quicker the incumbents will come around. Rex's defense will be different than any other defense any of the holdovers have run in their careers. Rex doesn't want a learning curve, specially with how "green" our QB position is.

All Pro
    We as fans regulate their pay... if we wouldn't watch, they wouldn't earn as much...

Undrafted Free Agent

Halleluja......

as long as people overpay for Seats, PSLs and merchandise, this will not change. The insult to injury is the huge percentage of NFL players that end up in bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement. I believe the latest study says it's 78%.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfCityJet View Post
    as long as people overpay for Seats, PSLs and merchandise, this will not change. The insult to injury is the huge percentage of NFL players that end up in bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement. I believe the latest study says it's 78%.
    I'll go to 1 away game every year, but I refuse to buy any Jet merchandise until we win 11+ games.

So never, basically.

They are, but at the same time they are underpaid compared to other major team sports.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    They are, but at the same time they are underpaid compared to other major team sports.
    I don't know if you can compare one sport to another. markets, games played, roster size, etc.

We have soldiers in Iraq making 15 thousand dollars/year.

All athletes are overpaid here.

Overpaid? 1 Mil guaranteed is overpaid? He got a higher offer from the Broncos and stayed true to his verbal agreement with Rex.

I really like what I'm hearing from Leohnard. He may not be a star, but he brings leadership, work ethic, and experience in Ryan's system. He's an upgrade over Elam and Smith.

I'm waiting till draft day to get my next jersey, but if we don't go Britt/Sanchez/Freeman/Nicks, I'm going with Leohnard.

All Pro
    just curirous...this overpaying nonsense? Same people who said the jets were in cap hell it doesn't matter anymore. The Cap is irrelevant these days, especially for the Jets. No one is as good as the guy we got so all this overpaying nonsense...come on now bru, what are u doin'?

Practice Squad
    How is three years at 2 million per overpaying for a starter?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    just curirous...this overpaying nonsense? Same people who said the jets were in cap hell it doesn't matter anymore. The Cap is irrelevant these days, especially for the Jets. No one is as good as the guy we got so all this overpaying nonsense...come on now bru, what are u doin'?
    Sean Jones and Phillips are both much better players than Leonhard is.

Banned
    I'll go to 1 away game every year, but I refuse to buy any Jet merchandise until we win 11+ games.

So never, basically.
    <<<<<Stupid