Thread: leon washington's role..

All League

leon washington's role..

we all know the O has little choice at this point to be anything other than a run first team..

i'm not a huge jones fan, but he was great last season. he ran the ball like a true NFL stud RB..

but he's a year older & washington is still (as many on this board will remind you) a small back..

what is leon washington's role in the running game under ryan??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ryan has already stated that Leonhard will return punts because he wants to keep Leon fresh and more involved in the running game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgreen13 View Post
    we all know the O has little choice at this point to be anything other than a run first team..

i'm not a huge jones fan, but he was great last season. he ran the ball like a true NFL stud RB..

but he's a year older & washington is still (as many on this board will remind you) a small back..

what is leon washington's role in the running game under ryan??
    I believe you give him the starting position he can be like a Brian Westbrook.
    The guy averages almost 5.0 yds a game and can definitely catch out of the backfield. He's been pretty healthy so far in his career but that might change if you give him a starter spot. I'm all for keeping the kid as our feature back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Ryan has already stated that Leonhard will return punts because he wants to keep Leon fresh and more involved in the running game.
    I hate the thought of Leon not getting a chance to return some punts to the house but I think this is a good move. We're lacking talent at the skill positions, the easiest fix for that is to give Leon more touches and get him more involved.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I hate the thought of Leon not getting a chance to return some punts to the house but I think this is a good move. We're lacking talent at the skill positions, the easiest fix for that is to give Leon more touches and get him more involved.
    I've thought of that but I also think about Leon's poor judgement on some/most punts. He needs to learn when to and when to not field inside the 10. Plus he'll still return kicks, where he's deadliest at.

Banned
    Leonhard actually has 2 yards more a punt then Leon has.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, statistically Leonhard was better at Punt Returns then Leon last season, not sure it's a downgrade there.

As for Leon, I'm hoping we find 150 carries for him next year, with maybe 300 for TJ. You gotta think we'll be running it a lot with a young QB expected to start.

Veteran
    Leon has never returned a punt for a TD in his career. His best fit is a KR and getting more touches at RB. Also Leon muffed a couple punts last season and also was bad on judgement on whether to let it bounce or fair catch it. He was brilliant as a KR though as evident by his infamous foot out of bounds trick.

All League
    Leon definately needs to have more touches this year on offense. We just cannot let a special talent like that go to waste, especially at the chance we may have only 1 proven WR and an unexperienced QB on offense. The guy is the best we got on offense, well let's use him like he is.

Plus....did you guys know Leon will be turning 27 next year?!? I didn't realize he was THAT old! He's only got about 4-5 good years left....that sucks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    Leon definately needs to have more touches this year on offense. We just cannot let a special talent like that go to waste, especially at the chance we may have only 1 proven WR and an unexperienced QB on offense. The guy is the best we got on offense, well let's use him like he is.

Plus....did you guys know Leon will be turning 27 next year?!? I didn't realize he was THAT old! He's only got about 4-5 good years left....that sucks.
    I'm sure we'll some of Leon and TJ in the backfield at the same time, and Leon might be used like Reggie Bush. I think he could get 125+ carries and 50+ catches this season.

They have to add another RB in the draft this year.

All Pro
    For all the production that Jones gets, he still isn't a home run threat kind of guy. He'll pick up the yardage, but he's not the sort of guy to turn a run inside or a short dump pass into a 70 / 80 yard TD. Leon is.

In my mind you start to get Leon more carries, and if that diminishes Jones' effectiveness because he's the kind of guy who needs 20+ carries a game, then you bring in someone else who can get you the hard yards but doesn't need that many carries to do so. Running backs wear out, and you can't ride the same one forever just because he was great last year. You've got to keep looking to the coming year, the next game, and who's best placed to help you win that game.