Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets receiver coach @UM workout for Darrius Heyward-Bey

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jets receiver coach @UM workout for Darrius Heyward-Bey

today...and he evdidently looked real good...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    today...and he evdidently looked real good...
    I said the other day in another thread that I have a gut feeling this guy will turn out be the best WR to come out of this draft.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Heyward-Bey is intriguing.

6'3 with 4.3 speed.

But he didn't really produce at all at Maryland. Many will say this was due to crap QB play, but that didn't stop guys like Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks from producing on the field.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I said the other day in another thread that I have a gut feeling this guy will turn out be the best WR to come out of this draft.
    Many people have said that he has by far the most potential of any WR in the draft including Crabtree. With his potential it's gonna be hard to pass at him if he's there at #17.

Hall Of Fame
    I want to like Heyward-Bey, the physical tools are just tantalizing, but you gotta perform as well and he hasn't. I don't think I'd be upset if we selected him knowing it's the upside play, but I'd be very nervous.

All League
    Take it for what its worth, but his highlights are the most impressive of the wr bunch.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420 View Post
    Take it for what its worth, but his highlights are the most impressive of the wr bunch.
    And his production is by far the least impressive.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    DHB has Troy Williamson written all over him.

His athleticism is going to get him drafted WAY ahead of where he should go.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-11-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

+1 He reminds me of Troy Williamson alot. High risk, high reward. You never know though. He could end up being a great receiver but my gut says he won't be. My gut also says he will be a Bear come draft day.

Practice Squad

I'm curious as to why you think that. Williamson has ALWAYS been a guy who can get open, even at the pro level. Problem and the big knock on him is that he has never been able to catch the ball.

That doesn't sound like DHB at all to me. He can also get open but he also has a knock for making crazy catches. His stats coming out of college may have been similar, but I don't think that this is a valid comparison at all.
    Last edited by mrorange43; 03-11-2009 at 08:44 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mrorange43 View Post
    I'm curious as to why you think that. Williamson has ALWAYS been a guy who can get open, even at the pro level. Problem and the big knock on him is that he has never been able to catch the ball.

That doesn't sound like DHB at all to me. He can also get open but he also has a knock for making crazy catches. His stats coming out of college may have been similar, but I don't think that this is a valid comparison at all.
    I think it's a very valid comparison.

Williamson didn't have great production at South Carolina. It was his athleticism and performance at the combine that caused him to jump up the boards. He was a track star who was considered raw at receiver but with a very high ceiling.

Heyward-Bey has basically the exact same background.

All Pro

Williamson didn't have great production at South Carolina. It was his athleticism and performance at the combine that caused him to jump up the boards. He was a track star who was considered raw at receiver but with a very high ceiling.

But DHB has better hands which can't be over-looked.

Practice Squad

DHB was already in heavy consideration for mid-late first round before the combine.

And again, many people have said Williamson would have been a great wide receiver if he could catch. Dropping passes hasn't really been an issue with DHB.

There have also been plenty of fast, raw WRs who have performed very well in the NFL. Being a raw speedster with less than stellar production in college does not make you the next Troy Williamson.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    But DHB has better hands which can't be over-looked.
    Exactly! Williamson had all the physical tools, but couldn't catch.

DHB has all the physical tools, and CAN catch.

BIG difference.

All League
    I'm a big DHB fan.

Banned
    I'm a somewhat skeptical DHB fan...but the people screaming Troy Williamson are just off IMO...it's not like he didn't produce in college...my main problem with him is that he'll need more time than the other WR's because I think he can get stronger and fill out his frame some more.

He doesn't run with a ton of power and he's not going to break anyones ankles...other than that I think he's pretty alright as a WR prospect...not my favorite in this draft but if he was on the roster I'd cheer for him.

I think he can at least end up a Donte Stallworth type.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 03-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.

All League
    Also, Troy is 6'1'', DHB is taller.

I hate when people just make comparisons to other people without being objective.

I know Gholston hasn't produced up to his measurables, but that doesn't mean DHB won't either.

All League
    "We play a pro-style offense," Heyward-Bey said about his career numbers. "We run the ball; that's what we do. Receivers block. We're complete receivers. We do it all."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    "We play a pro-style offense," Heyward-Bey said about his career numbers. "We run the ball; that's what we do. Receivers block. We're complete receivers. We do it all."
    Interesting quote and shows me a good attitude (even if it was a coached line). One thing most people don't remember (or ever knew) about Keyshawn was that he was a very good and willing blocker. He opened a lot of holes even when we weren't throwing him the damned ball. And that's something they can do well even in their first year.

I don't know much about any of the WRs (hey...I went to a D-III school!) but I could get excited about this kid if the Jets decide he's their guy.

Veteran
    I'd like to just say i was the first one on this guys bandwagon, far before the combine.